1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Review the last restaurant you visited

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CometsWin, May 16, 2013.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It was the one in Clear Lake. I'd enjoyed the one on Kirby in the past...is that the original? Maybe that's the problem.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The original is on Kibry. It goes by "Johnny IV" now. Its the only location still owned by the Carrabba family

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

East Side Pizza's new location on Anderson Ln in Austin -- awesome old-school pizza.

4. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Interesting, I could walk to this place from my house but have never tried it. Wonder how it will do with the Carabbas opening up 50 yards from it.

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Boondoggle's Pub on NASA Road 1. 7/10. Very good and unusual pizzas. Mine had provolone cheese, shrimp, crawfish, andouille sausage with a spicy creole sauce.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

They still own the one on Woodway/Voss as well

7. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I went back to Thai bistro tonight and got the red curry and pad Thai. Both were delicious but I think I prefer the panang curry over the red. I never thought I'd ever say that.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Cottonwood in oak forest... Very cool spot, very solid selection of beer that is heavily skewed towards houston/Texas brews. Chicken pot pie was delicious - not too heavy, good flavor, dark meat chicken... Highly recommended.

Actually had tacos at tacos tierra caliente a little while later and of course those were great. Some of the best authentic Mexican street tacos anywhere, especially the pastor. And holy red sauce... So spicy but so good. The perfect accompaniment to west bama icehouse.

#48 SWTsig, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  9. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Kim Son Cafe in the Woodlands - 4/10

I had the coconut curry chicken and my gf had the Kung Pao. Way overpriced for what was given and the food was mediocre at best. Will never go back.

10. platypus

platypus Member

This vietnamese restaurant in dekong plaza, belliare.

Pho was good, meat tasted good. Service was meh, but the place is open late.

7/10

11. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

Had the Andouille burger at Witchcraft Tavern along with Souther Star Red Cockaded yesterday. Burger was really good along with the homemade fries. Pretty cool place at 11th and Shepard. Really good craft beer selection with what seems to be a pretty broad menu. I give it a solid 8/10.

12. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

Avalon Dinner, fantastic white people waffle house

13. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

The Carrabbas in Clear Lake use to be pretty decent about 3-4 years ago. Was there about 6 months ago and it was not near as good as it use to be. Will wait another year before trying it again.

Is there another Italian restaurant in that area that is good? Don't say Olive Garden. Tried one the other day and regretted it.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I ate at some damn good restaurants in Miami last weekend.

OLA - Latin Cuisine. Best ceviche I've ever eaten.

Otentic (French) - Reasonably priced for Miami standards.

La Gloutonnerie - Very good. Put a nice dent in the wallet.

Edit: Checked out Gotham Steak in Fountainbleau. Nice place to eat at before going to LIV.

#54 sammy, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oysters there are good, fried onion rings are good. Everything is probably great for bar food.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Miguel's, Carlsbad, CA

7/10.

Not really very authentic, but decent food and drinks.

17. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Fogo de Chao in Austin. It was my first time there after hearing great things. It had far and away the best service I have ever had in my life but I simply was not interested in the meats that much. I feel like my money would have gone to better use getting a regular meal at like Taste of Texas or Perry's.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

After reading this thread on the best pizzas

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=238778

I decided to check out the best pizza in Houston, allegedly. Pizaro's on Memorial and Kirkwood. On their site they talk about their great ingredients, fresh homemade mozzarella, 00 Italian pizza flour, and Italian olive oil. They also have a wood fired 900 degree brick oven made in Naples. After reading all of this I was pretty damn excited!

Anyways, so we showed up about 12:30pm on Saturday. We got a Caprese salad, a pepperoni pizza, and some drinks. $30 for lunch. Service was pretty poor. They give everyone these little numbers for their pizzas so I guess they know which table ordered what, well we never got a number. After about ten minutes we went back and asked for a number. The Caprese salad consisted of a couple slices of tomato and mozzarella with a balsamic drizzle over it. It looked a lot better than it tasted frankly. The salad was $8 which seemed pretty pricy for the type of restaurant and for the salad itself. Not good value at all, I'd expect to be in a much nicer restaurant with real plates rather than paper plates and plastic forks. Also would expect better service.

And the pizza, you can tell the ingredients are top notch. The sauce had a good flavor and the cheese was good quality. The crust edges were crispy but the rest of the crust was quite thin, thinner that I'd expect even for a thin crust pizza. Again though, terrible value. It was a 12 inch thin crust pizza for $15. It wasn't just thin crust either, the toppings, sauce, and cheese were fairly meager on the pizza. I've had thin crust pizza before and this pizza paled in comparison to Grimaldi's for example. Not only that, but Grimaldi's does the kind of up scale pizza thing a lot better than Pizaro's unfortunately. If that's your business model you can't do paper plates, plastic forks, and poor service.

In addition, apparently they don't do delivery and let you bring your own liquor. The whole concept seems mismatched there. Up scale pizza with high quality ingredients with a neighborhood pizza joint atmosphere. They might be better off charging more and moving into a city centre type area. Grimaldi's still the best thin crust pizza I've had in Houston.

19. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

that's about 2 minutes from my house. I had it for the first time a few weeks ago and thought it was okay, but the problem I had was with the size of the pizza versus the price. I felt like I didn't get enough bang for my buck, like you. The pizza itself was decent, and we didn't dine in so I can't speak for the service, but I probably wouldn't go back. When I saw that list I was VERY surprised that it received a high rating, and it caused me to not take that list very seriously

CometsWin likes this.
  20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Try Luigi's in midtown with the buffalo mozzarella. It's amazing and you certainly get your money's worth.