1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Props to Harden isos

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Apr 30, 2013.

1. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

Yea his first PO where he's the main guy, n seems like people expect him to win the ring :grin:

Of course he'll make mistakes, bet u he'll make a lot less mistakes next year

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

It could be fatique related too. I don't see that pepperness in his steps in those iso plays. I remember during the season, he was crossing left and righ, then jabing forward, then either a straight pull-up jumper with extreme confidence, or a strong drive to the basket with determination. I didn't see that from him in the playoff so far.

3. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

1st game 20 points
    2nd 36
    3rd 30

One bad game.... Dont c how he's doing all that bad, as people panic about...

How many would he score if he was crossing left n right, then jabing forward, then either a straight pull-up jumper with extreme confidence, or a strong drive to the basket with determination............

4. Possum

Possum Member

If he doesn't stop settling for the three he will never become great. Right now all he is showing is that he has a long way to go.

5. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

One problem he has is that he is a lefty. He gets major advantage during the regular season. But when they play against great defensive teams in the playoffs and everything is so scrutinized, this advantage disappears. He is not extremely athletic or explosive, and is slightly undersized as a swing man. He has gotta learn quickly how to play with his teammates for the Rockets to go far.

6. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I agree it's better that he acquires this mentality early on. Remember we're talking about a 23 year old ready to carry a whole franchise for the first time. Imagine the skills he'll develop over time. Better we suffer the growing pains now.

7. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I think OP kind of missed the point. I have no problem with Harden taking the last shot. Heck, even if Rockets want to make it an official rule, that last 5 shots of every single game has to be taken by the best player (incerting Harden's name for this season), I wouldn't have too much problem. Obviously, Harden is our best player right now.

But taking the shot, or ISO, if you'd like, doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a standing still contested long 3 pointer. It really could and should be some mix-up of driving or jumpshot, long 3 or mid-range, one on one pullup, or having some bigs set picks for you, or even multiple picks, or you can start without the ball and run for a catch-and-shoot, or once in blue moon you can pass to an open teammates under the basket for example.

What matters on the end of the day is you want to take high percentage shots, even if it has to be taken by one certain player.

We all see how poor of success rate those contested long 3s are. I don't think taking 100 of them would make you more confident. As a matter of fact, it's anything but confidence building and it doesn't help team moral either.

In game 3, when Harden held the ball for a long time, and then started to dribble, with only a few seconds left, he passed to the side, and it just went out of bounds. It was a bad pass for sure, but if his teammate was prepared for that, he might have saved it. When all other 9 players on the court know exactly what you are going to do, it's just too difficult for you, even if you are MJ, Dream, LeBron, or Harden. Last night, in those last few possessions, did anyone on the board ever doubt Harden would take it one on five? Did we ever doubt those would be contested jump shots?

Again, I never mind Harden taking shots, especially at closing moments, but he can and should do more to help himself and help his teammates help him.

Props to Harden ISOs.

8. muas2010

muas2010 Member

ISOs are part of the game...he will probably get better at it.

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Are there any stats on this?

What is the % of Harden doing late game ISOs, the success rate, in the paint, or outside jump shots, contested, uncontested?

Sometimes stats tell a different story to the eye test.

10. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Nice take on the isos.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

My issue with the ISOs is that lately his jumper has been off - the other players clear out and the lane is pretty wide open -- he should drive and kick or go in for a layup/foul -- something he is elite in doing. I feel that he bails the defense out by taking that long jumper -- if he is feeling it thats a different story you ride his hot hand as far as you can but he hasnt been like that in what the last 6-8 weeks?

also he should probably attack a bit sooner - even if its for a jumper - instead of winding down the clock because once the clock starts winding down the defender knows he doesnt have enough time to drive and will shoot a jumper and can close out better. If he attacks sooner he can keep the defender on their heels a bit more

1 person likes this.
  12. agpal77

agpal77 Rookie

Glass half full perspective on something we can't control?....

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

There seems to be a double standard for "do whatever it takes to win".

If the point is to win at all costs in the playoffs, then you should run plays that give you the best chance to win.

Harden ISO has shot us out of 2, almost 3 games.

It's looking dubious that its the best play to win.

14. dream1222

dream1222 Member

40% fg 30% 3fg in clutch
    35% fg 25% vs west team
    something like that you can check it at nba.com

15. rocketsrising

rocketsrising New Member

any thoughts on if perhaps Harden is taking isos to mitigate the possibility of turning the ball over passing/driving, which may lead to quick and easy opponent buckets which are a real no-no for late game situations?

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I'm in stats.nba.com and looking at Harden's player profile, in-game mode.

It breaks it down by quarter and points differential but I can't seem to find "clutch".

Clutch is last 3m with point differential < 5?

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

^^^This^^^ Harden stop settling for a jumpers. They're not falling.

18. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Totally agree. It's playoff game time and at the current forms that there might be 2 to 4 other teammates are better than Harden at shooting long Js.

19. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Wow. I just found Harden's playoff stats.

He's FG=36%, 3PT=16%, 5TO per game

OUCH!

His ISO % are higher. Especially his ISO 3PT%=30%
    He should do more ISO 3PT shots to raise his % ??!!

20. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I believe Harden is really THAT good. He's been in a slump for 2 months now. Great players don't slump for this long.

I think he is due for a MASSIVE breakout game and that game is gonna be game 5 in OKC. He could go off for 50+ pts.