1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Magic @ Rockets 4/1/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 1, 2013.

1. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I think anyone who thinks Harden is selfish, either is a hater who likes to put down their own team's best player or are inarticulately trying to say that they don't like the over-reliance on Harden-ball we sometimes see. I think it's more the coach's job as he can call a timeout, call plays, and direct the offense to go in the direction that they want.

As for Harden's defense, I think it's a case of playing too many minutes and doing too much on the offensive end. He's got the requisite strength, quickness, and drive, but I've seen Lin do that to a degree before he started getting benched in favor of TD and his manic style of defense. I do think McHale should hold him accountable for his d more, granted he probably already does and we just don't hear about it, and hope that our guards can work together even better next year and the next. I'm certain they will, and I'm also certain that our backcourt will be devastating in the years to come.

2. mothman

mothman Member

Are you just plain stupid and dumb to even comprehend what was written in my post? Can you point out anything in my post that is remotely related to lin or his fans?

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Why did you quote me and go on a Harden tirade then?

4. Habs

Habs Member

5. mothman

mothman Member

I did not go on a tirade. Did I use any angry word or foul language? Just point out a simple fact that's all.

Besides, I find it mind boggling that whenever someone criticises Harden, that poster somehow mysteriously "loses" credibility. It just doesn't makes sense to me.

I don't know about you, but I'm concerned about the lack of effort from our max player on defense. Given Morey's track record, for all you know most players on this team may be traded or waived by the end of this season or next. But one thing for sure, Harden will be here for the next 5 seasons & this franchise's fate for the next few years is directly tied to his performance, whether you like or not. If he doesn't give a **** about playing defense, what do you think of the chances of him leading this team to a championship? I don't expect him to play suffocating defense like the Miami stars, but at least he should give some effort to the extend of not hurting the team. Is that too much to ask?

6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Oh I see somewhere in that posts you were defending that poster.

First of all, I doubt Harden rarely gives up more points than he scores which the poster suggested. Second, it's pretty damm far fetch to say bad defense = being selfish. No one ever called Amare selfish. DMO selfish? Lin from time to time selfish? Newp! Harden burns a lot of energy carrying the offensive load and I agree his D needs work but to say it's selfish is stupid.

7. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Would you call David Lee a selfish player Mothman?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z3xPq8oIjPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

10. mothman

mothman Member

Why not? I find it mind boggling why anyone who criticises Harden somehow loses his credibility. Sure he exagerated the figures to make his point, just like most people would when they make statement like player a is 10000 times better than player b, etc. But that doesn't detract from the main point of the post which was about Harden's lack of effort on defense.

It is not about bad defense = selfishness. As I've pointed out, it is about effort, or the lack thereof. There's a difference between a player who is incapable of playing good defense despite putting in the effort & a player who has shown that capability but somehow did not put in the necessary effort most of the times. The former just does not have it i.e. the talent or the experience to do it, the latter simply does not brings it.

For all you know, DMo or any other player not named Harden who shows a glaring weakness may be traded this off-season or the following season. Harden, on the other hand, despite his glaring weakness on defense, will stayed on this team for the next 5 seasons whether you like it or not. Of course I love his offense, but think about it, this team can be so much better if he can give some CONSISTENT EFFORT on defense.

Harden may not be aware of it or intended it that way, but the very act of not giving effort on defense & hurting the team in the process is selfish. The act of letting the teammates pickup the slacks due to the lack of effort is selfish.

From a fan's point of view, you want the team to continually improve over time. When a fan sees something that is so glaringly obvious, he or she just want to voice out that frustration even though the fan knows it won't matter at the end of the day. How is that difficult to understand?

1 person likes this.
  11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Extremes is what makes posters lose credibility. If I said Raymond Felton is 1000 times better than Jeremy Lin, then I would be a LOH. Or Bev plays 1000 times better defense than Lin.

Melo, Amare, Lee, etc, etc has never been called selfish because of his "lack of effort" on D. Just going to have to agree to disagree.

12. wendzall

wendzall Member

great ball movement isn't due to one player. but one player can disrupt great ball movement.

13. mothman

mothman Member

Extremes? A lot of posters use exaggerated numbers to highlight a point. You just don't take these numbers seriously. You can perform a simple search and find lots of the so-called extreme posters on this forum. So by your definition all these posters have no credibility?

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nb...-praises-the-change-in-carmelo-anthonys-game/

"Karl thought ‘Melo was selfish and didn’t play good defense.‘ ... Eventually, Karl wore on Anthony. Yet Karl was quick to point out that Anthony was like most young, talented and selfish players in the league. ... When Karl spoke of Anthony, he frequently mentioned Ray Allen. When Karl coached Allen in Milwaukee, Allen was focused on 3-pointers and being the Bucks’ leading scorer. ‘He wasn’t playing the type of defense he is now,’ Karl said."

But to be fair to Melo, he has played decent defense since Woodson took over.

When playing against good teams, they will expose your loop hole & make you pay. Hence the team's defense is only as strong as your weakest link. Just imagine when you're in a tug of war, someone from your team is slacking & not giving his 100%, how would you & the rest of the team feel?

14. shumbum

shumbum Member

McFail sucks period! He makes the most fundamental coaching mistakes, has seriously questionable coaching decisions every other game and you honestly think the Rockets success is due to this clueless knucklehead. He should have been fired way way back. My only guess is that as you mention, the death of his daughter, made the front office sorry for his incompetent ass and kept him on board even through all the pitiful coaching. The guy's coaching is literally embarrassing.

1 person likes this.
  15. torocan

torocan Member

Clearly you've never followed the Knicks' fan forums for any length of time.

Melo's defensive deficiencies are called out very often on the Knicks forums, and the word selfish, ball hog, offensive black hole, lazy and selfish are used more than occasionally.

In the case of Melo, it's stark because it's obvious that he CAN play good defense when he *wants* to, which frustrates Knicks fans to no end.

Harden isn't Melo, but personally I would rather see him take a little of the offensive load off his shoulders and play better defense most games. Our team has enough offensive weapons that they could make up 5 points most games if he made the consistent effort to defend every possession.

As great as Harden's offensive gifts are, his lack of defensive effort some nights hurts the team more than some care to admit.

1 person likes this.
  16. shumbum

shumbum Member

Dude, your logic doesn't make sense and now you're arguing against mathematical odds and blowing some nonsense that the outcome makes the mathematical odds irrelevant. We've been watching this nonsense argument go on and on and it's time consuming to wade through this junk!

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

So Hardin isnt giving max effort,,wow gotcha

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Ummmmm didnt you see where I said all,,,not just one but all....good lawd read with understand please...

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Are we not talking about this particular game,,,,so talking about other players is legit. Start a only Lin thread if that is all you want to talk about....

Ive watched every game this season, Lin has had some good games as well as bad games. Overall his is doing fine. You keep saying when he's the PG..Joker he plays PG every freaking game,,lol so what are you talking about. McHale allows Hardin and Lin to bring the ball up the court..All because Lin didnt bring the ball up the court on a particular possession, doesnt mean he isnt running the POINT.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Shumbum, I've discovered the ignore list. You're the first one I'm putting on it. Please put me on your ignore list as well. Thanks.