1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] AMC's The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 25, 2012.

1. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Best episode of the season was the one with Morgan. Overall this season was better than last season, but it still left a lot to be desired. The show killed off 2 annoying characters that the public kept complaining about so it wasn't that bad guyz

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Looks like we've set the bar kind of high.

3. VanityHalfBlack

Farm>Prison

4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Supposedly the actor playing Morgan was credited for the finale, but I'm guessing it was a red herring.

I think the main problem was executive meddling, and the fact that the writing staff continues to have a large turnover. Plus, it's about to get it's third show runner for the fourth season so something isn't right there.

The third season had a great build-up for a lot of things that didn't pay off, so I agree the finale was pretty underwhelming. Hopefully this "difference in opinion" is on the side of AMC and things will be back on track.

5. BeardlyBeardman

I think it was all the people getting off the bus and filing into the prison. Rick has that look on his face like, "I'm doing the right thing, but how the hell am I going to take care of all these people?" Obviously there's not much room in their cell block for all those people so I'd assume they'll have to leave or try to clear the rest of the prison. It's a sign that their group has changed from a small pack of survivors to more like a colony. New dynamics, new concerns, etc just like finding the prison.

I think the cross at the end was like closing the book on Rick's grief and his reluctance to lead the group all season. Lori is dead, Rick is moving on, the group is moving on. Good symbolism.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Notice that Rick was looking for Lori looking down at him at the end of the finale and he didn't see her when he always did before. I guess that is a good indication that Rick has turned the corner and is moving on from his spell. Else, why would they show that?

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

fify

season 2 sucked besides the last 3 or so episodes while season 3 was much better overall.

8. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I disagree, second half of season 2 I think was the best stretch of the series. From the time they open the barn and find walker Sophia to the end of the season and escape the farm.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Would have been awesome if Shane was still around. He would have handled the Govenor no problem.

10. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

no I'll fify

Farm>Prison

11. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

They were your everyday civilian that were pushed into being "soldiers". Most of the really tough guys were already gunned down by Rick's 1st attack (saving Glenn) and by Merle last attack. These people never had any prior confrontation, I think them being panicky is very reasonable especially when they are trapped inside the corridors with smoke and someone accidentally firing.

I think Tyreese & his daughter are the only ones. There is really no room for any more strong characters. We already have Merle, Glenn, & Michone. Too many characters will thin out character development.

I believe the cross was for Andrea. When Rick looked up and didn't see Lori anymore, that was the end of that.

I have to disagree. If Shane was around, he would've handed over Michone without hesitation.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If Shane was around, he would be having visions of Lori too.

Rick's visions of Lori drove me insane as it is.

I have never wanted a dead person deader.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I hope and pray they don't make next season all about the Governor. That story has played out imo. I don't care if he even gets more people to join him. I don't want an entire season built around an ongoing war between the Governor's group and Rick's group. It's already gotten old in just one season. This is really turning into "Jericho" with zombies. Please tell me the comic books they base this off of is not more of this. I'm not sure where they go after this but anything has got to be better. They build up an inevitable war all season...and go to it in the finale but noone even dies and it really wasn't even in a battle. Glenn and Maggie looked like they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when they were shooting (or were they purposefully trying to miss?). I guess the Governor will try to find a nuke now to destroy the prison entirely. Say it ain't so.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Comics Prison storyline epic stuff throughout and it all came to a massive bloody end for both sides involved. Personally, I think they are dragging this out with the Governor for another season since we got the slow change in him during this season.

Next season I think he's going to be full on insane and bent on revenge, not sure how they drag that out for a season honestly.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wow. Lots of raw nerves in the wake of the finale. In fact, all season. I've dodged this thread to make sure I didn't accidentally run into spoilers, but it seems the most of the people here watch the show just to b**** about it.

Personally, I thought this season was way more enjoyable and entertaining than the first two. Expanded to 16 episodes, and still had less filler than season 2 (which almost half the episodes were painstakingly dull).

This finale was certainly a letdown since the rest of the season outdid it by a wide margin. It was like seeing an amazing concert with a dream setlist...only for the encore to be one short random B-side and the lights up.

I would lay most of the blame at the foot of the director and the rest with the screenwriters. The material was otherwise there, but the execution of the episode was terrible.

Did we really need to keep breaking the action to have 3+ min scenes of locked up Andrea and Milton? They must have thought they were building tension, but the only good thing they did was cut away when Milton attacked. Instead, I spent half the show yelling TICK TOCK at her taking more breaks than construction workers.

It was there, but they did a piss poor job reminding the viewers that Woodbury was down to the Governor, two lieutenants, attitudy fence duty vet Karen, and a pack of citizens that are holding guns for the first time. Merle managed to kill 8 of the few pseudo-soldiers they had left, and now Hershel's daughters are tougher than what they've got left. It makes total sense that they would flee in a panic from the prison....but the way it was shown in the epsiode, you don't get the clear impression that it's scared regular people fleeing their posts.

Glenn and Maggie didn't take out a single Woodbury resident with their automatics? Weak.

Ultimately, I think this was the biggest failing of the episode - the director and screenwriter took what should have been one of the series' biggest throwdowns and blew it. That should have been this year's version of the farm being overrun, but instead, the 4 man first prison attack ends up being 10x more thrilling.

On Carl-gate: maybe this is another example of failed direction. Watching the kid continue to hold the gun while being told repeatedly to drop it, not even offering it handle first...I was yelling "Shoot Him". Hershel saying it was in cold blood was confusing to me (again - did the director just botch the scene?). I agree Carl's going Shane on us....but he was also 100% dead on target with his "do your job or I will" talk with Rick. This show does a nice job showing that you can't get away with the nice guy routine in this world without asking for dire consequences.

Governor making it out alive. In one sense, I did want to have that clean resolution. On the flipside, he leaves this season even more terrifying than as a fascist militant. He's now 100% cut off from sane and has nothing left to lose or live for. He can go completely Wrath of Kahn, the prison group knows it, and he'll have them jumping at shadows even more than the zombies.

With S4, my guess is Rick will try and change the direction of the group from looking for to now becoming the refuge for survivors. Part of what they did in "Clear" was have Morgan call out Rick for not getting back to them. Rick ignored the backpacker in that episode, and he was chewed up on the highway when they drove back. I think the Woodbury bus is suggesting that they are going to try and become a lighthouse next season.

I also was throwing up my hands with bringing everyone back to the prison - just a couple episodes back, they were remarking on how they were running out of food. Woodbury's stocked! Gardens planted! I don't see how the prison's more secure when (a) the Governor blew out the gates TWICE and (b) there's the back door entrance that hasn't been locked down yet (where Tyreese entered). Woodbury's intact and good to go, so long as people are on guard duty.

My guesses as to why are:
    1) It would seem too much like an occupation if Team Rick takes over Woodbury
    2) You would have to expect the Governor back at some point.

This season was more thematic than anything going on in the first two. If anything, it almost started to get out of hand. The entire season was about putting up a mirror between the two groups. They went so far as to pair everyone up with their counterpart in the negotiations episode (S3.13?).

The other principle theme was Rick finding himself again. S2 ended with him going despised tyrant in the wake of Shane, then he goes cray cray post Lori, then he comes close to the line of Shane, then seeing Morgan and dealing with the Governor finally brings him back.

All season (and really, starting in the bar S2), he refuses to help/let in anyone outside the group: the prisoners, Micchone, Team Tyreese, Merle, the highway backpacker in 'Clear,' etc. Along with realizing it needs to be more group-centric, he takes in all of Woodbury's liability citizens. It doesn't strengthen them, but it's the right thing to do.

That ties into his seeing Lori all season. The takeaway there is that it's a manifestation of his conscience - he knows he's off the right path and she's a haunting reminder. With his resolution of the showdown, we see her grave marker as an indication that (s)he's at peace.

No kidding. This episode was subject to rewrites and reshoots, so maybe this was a continuity/editing error that wasn't caught.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ason-3-finale-interview-robert-kirkman-431968

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-finale-spoilers-milton-dallas-roberts-431877

Showrunner Mazzara "Mutual Split"
    http://io9.com/5974585/apparently-g...-dead-tv-show-because-robert-kirkman-made-him
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-glen-mazzara-farewell-430517
    http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com/cas...ad-did-robert-kirkman-get-glen-mazzara-fired/

#1577 emjohn, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    2 people like this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Aside from the Governor and zombies, does the comic have any other major villains worthy of making it to the show?

19. mario_v

mario_v Member

What a dissapointing episode. But anyways, if im not mistaken, in the comics, the governor goes to the prison three times. He even comes in with a freaking tank!

So, expect the governor to regroup and go all out on the prison with tanks, rpg's, and all that good ****.

20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

There are minor ones but nothing the size of the Governor, at least not as far as I've gotten into the comic run.