1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Clippers @ Rockets 3/30/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 30, 2013.

1. wincan459

wincan459 Member

Fixed.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

People complaining have no idea how much time Clutch dedicates to this site. He made the right decision and questioning him is absurd. Every home game we get interviews, highlights, ect..Show some appreciation

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He is one of the worst posters on this board.

1 person likes this.
  4. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Is that what the Taliban was like before everyone started ****ing with the arabs?

mmh food for thought

5. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

And also, because we're Lin fans, they don't consider as true Rockets fans although we spend time, effort and money on this team. It 's laughable. Many of Houston residents don't even give a crap about this team.

6. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Anyone whos fandom is defined by one player is hardly a Rockets fan.

7. visible

visible Member

Agree with you

8. torocan

torocan Member

To be fair, a lot of fans start out as fans of individual players and eventually become fans of the entire team.

I was a big fan of Lin, Harden, Asik and Morey initially.

Now I'm also loving Parsons, Delfino and even the role players.

All fans need to start somewhere, and whether that's because your parents dragged you to the games when you were young or the team is local, the destination is still the same.

Player fan or not, the player can't succeed if the team isn't succeeding.

9. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Maybe so, but if you put the success of the player you are rooting for ahead of the team then I don't know how you can call yourself a Rocket fan.

10. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

So millions of Olajuwon fans from other cities and countries are not considered Rockets fans?

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Without Harden we are nothing. The chances of getting into the playoffs is low right now.

12. MonKing

MonKing Member

ROFL

There used to be more LOHs on my ignore list. But this new generation of LOF-troll hybrid is worse than ever.

13. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Are they still rooting for the Rockets? If not then I don't know how you would consider them Rocket's fans.

14. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

If I buy a league pass, for example, does that benefit only Lin?

15. gengar

gengar Member

But don't people usually become fans of a team through a favorite player? I don't see how it is wrong for people to come to root for Rockets because of Lin. As long as they root for the team, and Lin, it's fine. They may eventually start to root for other players (like I have)

16. CCM721

CCM721 Member

I don't know? Does it really matter where the money goes if your intention is only to benefit Lin?

Sure but many don't. I see people rooting for Lin over the team countless times in game threads.

17. CCM721

CCM721 Member

And I would venture to say a lot of these people would leave if Lin was traded in the off-season.

18. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

This is the most overused and tired BS by LOH...

19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

CCM721 Lin fans are still Rocket fans even if they don't meet your standards. It's like fair weather fans are still fans even though they come out when the weather is fair :)

20. torocan

torocan Member

Another way to look at it is much like this year's Rockets, many of the new fans are not "finished" products.

There are myriad reasons why people root for teams. And the journey to fandom is an individual one.

Yes, there is hyperbole on both sides of the pro/anti Lin brigades.

On the other hand, that's also the price of having a team that has attracted tremendous interest this year. With a high profile comes the fringes... and for better or worse, that's what we're seeing.

I personally started becoming a basketball fan after hearing so much about Dr. J and Larry Bird. With that came an interest in other players, which lead to an interest in individual teams.

Eventually that lead me to being a fan of several teams. The Rockets is just the latest one to make that list (Knicks, Spurs, OKC and now the Rockets).

While I root for more than one team, I like to think of myself as a basketball fan first and foremost who just happens to have favorite players, teams and coaches (Pops, Doc Rivers and now Daryl Morey).

That's not going to be the same story as other fans, but that doesn't mean that there is only one type of fan, nor that these fans will only be Player oriented fans forever.

Personally, I'd rather live with a few overzealous "player only" fans and see the fan base in basketball grow than worry about who's a real fan and who isn't.

If they watch the games, like the team and want to see the Rockets win games (even if some of them have ridiculous expectations) that's good enough for me.