1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am a shoujo anime junkie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hayesfan, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Okay, I know I don't visit here often *here being the hangout, but I need knowledge..

I've been hooked into anime by free netflix streaming. Anyone work or know someone who works for funimation? I wanna be a voice actor on anime!! :)

I know it's based in texas somewhere.

Here are the ones I've watched in the last month:

Ouran High School Host Club
    Fruits Basket
    Kaze no Stigma
    The Wallflower
    Angel Beats
    Special A

and now I'm on Fairy Tail.

does anyone else watch anime and have suggestions for me... it has to have a romance for me to love it, but I seriously want to do this now that I've been exposed to it :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I have a friend who works for Sentai Filmworks.

If you are serious about voice acting he you should contact a director and schedule an audition. He said it helps to have stage or radio voice experience.

They have a booth at Animematsuri this month in Houston. He said an aspiring actor could swing by and talk to the booth.

1 person likes this.
  3. New Generation

If I were to recommend one anime to you to every watch, EVER, it would have to be Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. (Brotherhood is the important part, it's the better version of the original.)

Like really, this anime is a MUST watch. It's really complex, entertaining, pretty mature, but all-together too good. I've watched the entire series 3 times, which says something.

4. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Hmm. Action with some romance? Try... Freezing maybe? Full Metal Panic? They're both high school settings, but they're action oriented. For just action I've actually started on Black Lagoon. It's even Funimation.

As for studios, I don't know anyone in the business unless you count meeting Chris Patton once while he was buying a car. Really nice guy. He told me that to get in the business your best bet is to rent some time at a recording studio and get a professionally made sample disc of voices you can do. Then send them out to studios and hope you hear back from someone. Don't expect to make a ton of money though. They get paid a small amount per job. That's why people like Troy Baker seemingly do 100 jobs a month. He pretty much has to.

Funimation's up in.. Dallas I think. ADV used to be based here in Houston before it got "reorganized" (it got overextended on licenses and went bankrupt). Last I heard, they had closed down.

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Clannad, clannad after story - romantic comedy with touching episodes. If you teared up from angel beats, you will on this too.
    kanon 2006- similar to clannad. Uguu
    Just started watching little busters too. Can't say much about it yet, but I've enjoyed the two episodes I've watched.
    (all created by the same company as angel beats)
    Basilisk - gory action packed anime. Has a romeo and Juliet feel to it. 2 feuding clans with 2 leaders falling in love, but a war between the two clans gets in the way of their love.
    Also, since your on netflix, watch Elfen lied. Very sad, but gory and has nudity.
    Can't go wrong with some classics Yu Yu Hakusho or inuyasha if you like romance, but the male protagonist is always fighting.

-Been on an anime tear lately. I'll give more recommendations again. I've been waiting for an anime thread. Thanks OP! Lol

1 person likes this.
  6. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

No description, but sword art online, 5 centimeters per second, and air (same developers as angel beats again, but haven't seen myself) can't seem to find a place with a good sub of it.

7. dback816

dback816 Member

That's because Air is oooOold

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

All of my experience is in podcasting - though I've done voice acting on those.

Thanks for the advice yall :) I have some friends with nearly professional studios in their homes - so maybe I will see what I can get them to do for me. I wouldn't mind doing it full time, but I was thinking of it as a side gig. I wouldn't mind doing audio books either.

9. Beezy

Beezy Member

10. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

sweet, i love anime, hope it works out for you

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Sword Art Online is probably the most popular anime recently.

12. Beezy

Beezy Member

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I've been trying to get back into anime but nothing has peaked my interest. I've currently been watching these Evangelion movies and One Piece which is damn hard to get into; I have no Idea why it's so popular. Any who..

Romance/Action Anime that I enjoyed even though it isn't my genre at all:

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - it's a Movie so you won't have to lose a weekend!

Summer Wars - Another movie that is light on action heavy on relationships.

My-HiME - Action with a huge relationship twist!

GunParade March - Teenagers drafted into the army to save the world with Mechs while going on dates (it's better than may summary) 12 episodes!

sorry no shoujo titles

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No, the original is far better. IMO opinion at least, its way darker. Brotherhood is tailored for the younger audience.

I started watching what you call "Anime" with DBZ as a kid and then got into rirouni kenshin/samurai x.

Since then a lot of my college friends have gotten me hooked on some of the good ones. I still can't watch the really obscure ones, like Ooran Highschool Host or w.e.

First of all, HayesFan if thats all you have seen you should deff check these out and Funimation is the best dubbing studio ever. They are amazing. The original DBZ dub, Fullmetal Alchemist dub and many others are just about as good of a job as you can do.

If you really are that set on doing it...you HAVE to watch the animes I am listing below. These are the top animes pretty much everyone has seen , and I am not even a big anime fan. Its kind of like making sure you know who Hakeem is when you become a Rockets fan.

-Fullmetal Alchemist original (Netflix)
    -Death note
    -Code Geass
    -Rirouni Kenshin and Samurai X-Trust and betrayal (prequel to kenshin)
    -Highschool Of the Dead (its on Netflix and yes you are going to hear a lot about how its super edgy but it has a GREAT story line and don't discount that)
    -Cowboy Bebop (Everyone has been raving about this show for a while finally got around to seeing it and man...it is AMAZING)
    -Samurai Champloo (really western, from the same guy who made Bebop)

The really big one that you have probably heard a lot about is Dragonball Z (DBZ). Its kind of one of those shows you have to get into when you are younger since there are so many episodes and and it takes a while to take in the awesomeness and epicness of the show, but its never really too late to start I guess. It starts off slow but is worth the commitment. If you are going to watch it , watch the original funnimation dub not the Dragonball Z Kai crap they have out now.

15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

What's left of ADV is Sentai Filmworks now.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Upload your sexy voice here. Preferably one from a sailormoon character or some type of school girl, being chased by some monster.

17. elrond

elrond Member

Some of my favorite shoujo are Kareshi Kanojo No Jijou(KKNJ), Marmalade Boy, Hana Yori Dango.

18. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Which is odd because I could find the original kanon which I believe came before air. Or is it because Air wasn't that good?

19. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah count me in as one of those anime movies only, I really can't sit through a series/ I don't know why I just can't!

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

1 person likes this.