1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Jeremy Lin so inconsistent?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Mar 1, 2013.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Let me first state that I like Jeremy Lin and I think he has some pretty good upside exhibited by Linsanity. I've also been surprised by the quality of his defense.

However, I'm really puzzled why he's so freaking inconsistent. Some games, he looks like the next Tony Parker. In other games he looks like the next Rafer Alston without the handles.

I'm guessing his inconsistency stems from his shooting. If his few shots are falling, he plays with confidence and up to his potential. If his shot isn't falling, he loses confidence and stops shooting entirely even when he's wide open. What do you guys think?

2. pnr

pnr Member

New role, new team and system, limited experience in the NBA. There you have it.

3. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

I think you summed it up pretty well. It's also been a struggle for him adjusting to McHale also.

4. hltiki

hltiki Member

Cuz he’s not a superstar. If his shots aren’t falling and he keeps shooting and missing, he’ll get benched =/

5. zdrav

zdrav Member

Yeah, consistent excellence is the norm for every NBA player. I wonder what makes Lin the exception?

6. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Why can't people have patience.

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

just based on his average, he is very consistent, accasionally having a big game. his #s are exactly a leadoff man #s. don't you think so? if you are looking for home run hitter, you target on wrong person.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

LOH
    McFail
    Racism
    Harden
    Asik
    Parsons
    Delfino

9. rockbox

Patience with what? How many players in the NBA scores almost 30 point in one game and barely break 10 points for the next 3 games. His 2-3 assists games are as common as his 10+ assist games. His numbers are all over the place.

10. trock

trock Member

:eek: Now it all makes sense!!! :grin:

11. rockbox

How can you use average to measure consistency?

12. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

i think it comes down to the fact the we have been solid at the pg position for a few years, and escaped the Rafer days.

my best guess is Lin reminds a lot of older posters of Rafer

13. conquistador#11

he barely cracked 82 games a week ago. Inconsistency goes with inexperience, especially when god knows what mchale is trying to do. I'm with calvin murphy and the rest of bball coaches, and other teams broadcasters when it comes to lin...he plays POINT pretty good. so let him run the point (mind blown)

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

When he plays well, coach finds a way to criticize him. Lin is a confidence player. When he is playing well he has that look.

15. trock

trock Member

You just want him to remind you of Rafer.

16. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

He's just not athletic enough to go full throttle every game. None of our guys are except for Harden.

17. rockbox

He's better than Rafer. Rafer never looked like Tony Parker even on his best days.

18. pnr

pnr Member

Another thing that might be an issue is he is concentrating harder on defense since his other wing players focus more on O. One of his quotes earlier this year was that "as a point guard, I'm the last person that should get going" so he is trying to be a pure pass first point guard, but that conflicts with his scoring mentality.

19. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I honestly believe it's due to his mental weakness.

Take a look at his recent comments. After the trade he was so heart broken he said he didn't feel like playing. When asked about how the team should be going forward post trade he felt like we were taking a step back. I can understand that but you need to have confidence in your ability to step up, as well as your teammates abilities to do so. When being asked about the recent slide his mentality comes off as not understanding why it's happening, or the fact that he is one of the persons responsible for it. Instead of sulking in his sorrows he should be fueling his progression in this game with those emotions. He's sulking instead of having a fire lit under his ass. Until he can harness his emotions correctly will we continue to see such huge slides up and down from his game.

I understand he's young but he from what he's already been through in his career he should be a lot more mentally there. He checks out when he's down and out instead of rising to the challenge.

20. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Same could be said about almost everyone on the roster, including Harden.