1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for doing nothing this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So the buzz is around signing a D Howard, J Smith, or even Bynum. But when I think about the impact these guys might have, I wonder if it's the wisest thing to do.

1. Once you sign that big contract, it's locked in
    2. Even with another superstar, we won't be a contender
    3. It may slow the development of other players

I think it's better for the Rockets to wait a year and let this team play together and develop chemistry. They are way too young to contend next year. Parsons, Jlin, and even Harden have a lot to learn and figure out. And throw in Dmo into that mix, and there's no rush by any means. DMO could be the next Detlef Schrimp (sp?). And a guy like Howard is going to bring a vet that hasn't proven he knows how to win but has a huge ego to fill that will require the team to bend to.

I say - let these guy develop and see in a year's time where the weaknesses are. Another year will make this core that much better. They will have more confidence, better skills, and more poise under pressure. And adding a big ego to that mix won't cause them to lose their identity and play timidly.

Finally, you will have tons of cap space come 2014 anyway according to Bima - so what's the rush?

Better not to commit in 2013 I say.

2 people like this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Overpay for mid level guys but compensate by giving them only a one year deal.

Capspace used + trade-able assets + talent upgrade even for the short term.

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

When's the last time a mid level guy signed a one year deal?

4. basketballholic

Our #1 target this offseason should be: Chris Paul

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

It is an interesting question. It seems a requirement to take risks on getting the first star, but star number two seems so much scarier now that we have something to lose by getting saddled with a injury risk or team chemistry risk or just barely all-star player.

On the other hand, humans suck at risk assessment when there is something to lose.

The question is, how big a window do we have in which to wait for players to develop? We have complementary pieces for just about any max-worthy player now... after next year, Lin and Asik will be in the last years of their contracts and either on the way out or wanting a lot more money.

Seems like the best time to strike is any time the opportunity arises, cuz you just never know what is going to happen next.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I don't think that's true. Harden is a superstar, or at least emerging as one, and pairing him with another would be great. Then fill up the roster with complimentary players. Of course, there are no real superstars available this offseason besides Dwight, so I agree staying put would be good.

Millsap, Jefferson and Josh Smith are very bad moves imo and will not help this franchise in the long term.

Lot's of questions surrounding Dwight's mentality and issues, but wouldn't say he doesn't know how to win. He took Orlando to the finals.

But overall, I agree. No one worth signing this year.. Except I do think you go after Dwight if that was an option.

7. arjun

arjun Member

OJ Mayo

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Morey has shown patience in the past. We will probably sign no one to a long term deal this summer. Besides, with the recent addition of D-Mo does anyone have a good idea as to where the Rockets sit and what they really need? 2014 for sure.

9. tmoney1101

That's one out of about 30-50?

10. craguin

craguin Member

1 person likes this.
  11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Your taking about Dork Elvis, he's able to
    trade a nickle for a dollar 8days a week!
    If you can add a superstar WITHOUT
    gutting the core of the team I say go
    for it.:p

12. tmoney1101

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Delfino, OJ Mayo, Ronny Turiaf, JJ Hickson.

Basically just only spend cap if it doesn't hinder you going forward.

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

Carl Landry.

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

What makes you think this? And even if it's true, so what? It's a lot easier to fill the roster out around superstars than it is to obtain superstars. When a franchise type guy becomes available, you go for it. Sitting on your hands and doing nothing while a star goes by is a terrible, terrible idea. Quite idiotic, honestly.

1 person likes this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'll have to disagree with you, sir. I believe even Pau Gasol (whom I do not want) would put us as legitimate contenders.... KLove, LMA, and prob about a dozen more would get us to contention.

17. Classic

Classic Member

Gimme LaMarcus Aldridge. That's all I want for this current team.

1 person likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

I vehemently disagree. We aren't in a situation where we can just stand pat. Furthermore, it's been said that getting Smith wouldn't mean putting us out of the 2014.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Getting Smith would eat up every dollar of our flexibility. Unless you start trading Asik and Lin. That is the only road you could go.

20. dmoneybangbang

It was just an example.