1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's funny, and by funny I mean sad, that the Nets fans are furious that their coach had no answer for McHale's small ball. While certain "fans," and I use this term loosely, here are complaining about this method of play that is driving our opponents nuts.

2. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

It's funny that some fans of basketball actually like the idea of rebounding and PFs.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Go on, charles_zed. Go on.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's good, but as usual my complaint is Harden and Parsons are getting run to the ground. Harden played for 42 mins, Parsons played for 40....and we have back to back tom LOL. I mean, this is the culprit why we went on a 7 loss streak before, he exhausted Parsons/Harden too much and they started playing like crap.

Well the rotation is small so maybe he had to play them a lot, but seriously, let's not overuse our players.

5. pacmania

pacmania Member

Never been a fan of small ball. It was popularized by Don Nelson and Mike D antoni , but the results were not very good as far as winning championships was concerned. The vast majority of championship teams have a balanced lineup and steady inside presence.
    The Suns couldn't get past the Spurs during the Steve Nash era and the Spurs beat them playing a balanced lineup not matching their small ball.
    The Lakers have dominated with two (2) seven footers the past decade or so.
    With small ball, you may win with a stretch of good outside shooting but have difficulty when the shooting gets cold.

The Heat played small ball effectively by compensating to a certain extent with a mixed zone defense in last year's finals.

1 person likes this.
  6. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Lol but we're winning games man! Stop complaining! Who cares if they potentially end up injured! As long as we're winning!

7. jocar

jocar Member

Tbh I'm getting sick of the majority of complaints coming from ppl new to the Rockets, new to bball, and this forum :mad:

Do you know something, every one else in the basketball world, including opposing coaches, players, and analysts at ESPN, NBAtv, and online are not aware of?
    B/c they all seem to think he's doing an awesome job.

8. jocar

jocar Member

exactly

9. pacmania

pacmania Member

There is a reason Morey traded the two undersized power forwards we have. He's looking at the bigger picture. Don Nelson and Mike D Antoni won acclaim for their small ball philosophy but they lost in the playoffs getting beaten by a balanced lineup.

We have a better chance of winning it all with two (2) seven footers or a legitimate big man developing than going small ball in the playoffs.

In the short term, Mchale is having success with small ball just like D Antoni and Don Nelson to a certain extent. Morey made it clear in the press conference acquiring TRob they wanted to clear up playing time for the bigs.

10. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that because I signed up in 2012 I must not know anything about basketball.

Skip Baseless and Screaming Smith are compelling cases for the credibility of ESPN analysts.

I didn't realise that I must have to love small-ball because that's what McHale has decided to do.

Rebounding, interior presence and defense isn't important anymore because according to you all the analysts are saying it is the right way to go.

The fact that players like Lebron and Carmelo have complained about the physicality of defending opposing PFs should be ignored, because Parsons and Delfino are so much more tougher and stronger than them, they'd be fine guarding PFs and playing 40+ minutes a night, no way they'd break down.

The fact that the Heat and Knicks have gone through stretches where they've struggled because of their lack of size should be ignored, because in your opinion, the consensus amongst analysts is that there's nothing wrong at all with those teams. Nope. No one has commented that the Miami Heat's most obvious weakness is their LACK of interior presence, or that the Knicks are pretenders.

Nope I wouldn't know any of this because I know nothing about basketball, I wouldn't know about Duncan, Robinson, Shaq, Gasol, Hakeem, Rodman all playing integral roles in winning championships.

The SSOL Suns is the way to go because "Duh we're winning! And dah analysts fink we doin' good!"

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Brook Lopez is not on our team...

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

WE NEED MORE REBOUNDING.

13. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

sorry if the following have posted:

“Sometimes he’d rather have 29 points and nine turnovers and I tell him, ‘Jeremy, we’re trying to win,’ ” McHale said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...deron-health-p-pins-needles-article-1.1271479

by NY Daily News after the Nets game. So did Mchail mean Lin was selfish and only concerns about his own stats? I have a hard time to believe Mchail did say that in public.

14. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

You make my balls shrink.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

no, what he's saying is that jeremy can play out of control, and while he'll score a lot doing it, he'll also turn it over a lot.

16. pacmania

pacmania Member

Where is Mchale coming from? I can't recall a time when Lin was playing selfish to the team's detriment and it is totally against his demeanor and Christian outlook. I guess Mchale is showing his true colors.

Mchale is a man with a lot of prejudice. He of all people knows the importance of having a good post player because the Celtics had Parish and Mchale working the post during the Larry bird era. Now, he tries to play small ball which historically has not had much success in the playoffs and denigrates Dmo to the bench when he is the most credible post threat in the lineup.

The celtics never played small ball when he was still playing for them so why experiment with the rockets on that? Sometimes Mchale seems like a Boston Celtic masquerading as a rockets coach.

17. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

McHale has said that he would prefer an inside-out game but he didn't believe in the options we had on the roster, hence the small ball experiment.

He also believes it's the direction of the league, and going by the highlights of what I've seen of T-Jones it seems to be part of his at the RGV Vipers so it seems to also be an organisational thing.

I don't like being grossly undersized at the front-court positions though. Stretch forwards like Love, Ilyasova and Anderson are good because they're appropriately sized for their position and can board.

What I don't like is that he throws his guys under the bus cold blooded. Patterson was working on his post-game all summer and had been the longest tenured Rocket coming into the season and from what I had seen, he had a pretty polished post-game. And from what I'm seeing of D-Mo he's got a very capable post-game. No reason why you can't draw some possessions up for them. Instead I've seen Asik post-ups (and once upon a time Cole Aldrich) drawn up out of timeouts.

And I don't like his infatuation with Parsons either, not a fan of how much offensive responsibility Parsons has had, he's got tunnel vision and is a walking turnover when he gets to handle too much.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Small ball has been the most productive lineup for the Rockets this season. And it is easy to see why. The other teams big power forward has no chance to stay with Parsons, and the Rockets can and do just literally outscore other teams. The best example is that the Rockets just used small ball to beat 2 of the top 10 teams in the NBA.

For years small ball was viewed as unable to compete in the playoffs. Well, the Heat last year showed that concept to be untrue. With the proliferation of great wing players in the NBA small ball looks like the future. Especially if you have a defensive and rebounding wizard like Asik.

Next season I look forward to a version of small ball with D-Mo and T-Rob. But realistically it is all about giving the coaching staff the personnel to force mismatches on the floor. If T-Rob develops nicely McHale would have the option of mixing together Asik, D-Mo, T-Rob and Parsons at the 4/5. One of those combinations would have to create a serious mismatch for the other team. Also, the Asik/T-Rob combo would supply the beef down low to play with anyone.

Basically I really like the Rockets chances going forward. Even without their max money cap room, they look to be a force in the West going forward.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Patterson was an asset. He is no different from anyone else on the roster. Get used to it. McHale's job is to be loyal to the players. Morey's job is to assemble the best possible roster.

Parsons has an assist/TO ratio of 1.9 to 1 which is actually very good for a wing player.

20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This is one of the dumbest running threads on Cluthfans and that's saying something. A collection of LOFs embarrassing themselves on a daily basis.