1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Restricting Guns & Magazines in NOT the Answer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

So we're in agreement that both guns are equally lethal and should be more highly regulated?

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

No. I'm in agreement that the people proposing the legislation, the pundits talking about it and the masses eating it up are ignorant to the facts.

The lethality of these weapons don't change the fact that they account for less than 2% of murders.

3. Rashmon

As opposed to your regular run-of-the-mill murder, what percent of mass shootings do they account for?

4. Svpernaut

Most mass shootings are from hand guns. VT, Sikh Temple, Fort Hood, Gabrielle Giffords, etc... which DO have FBI background checks.

5. Svpernaut

Steve Israel (D-NYC) wants to make it "impossible" for 3D printers to print gun components... "it just defies common sense, safety and logic to make it easier for terrorists and criminals to manufacture the components of guns which can be brought on to our airplanes and in to our federal buildings..."

Uhh, Steve... Criminals and terrorists don't care if you've outlawed them, that's why they're called criminals and terrorists.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QTMfx4Qh8xg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So he wants to stifle an entire technology because of what a terrorist could do with it. Whelp, we better ground all commercial air traffic.

There is simply no way to stop people from 3D printing objects they design on their personal computers and print on their personal 3D printer, unless you regulate the components (read plastic) that they use. So potentially tens of millions of Americans would have to register their plastic, which would be impossible to trace anyway.

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

A lathe is still required to make a barrel. And that requires a trained machinist as well. Stupid.

7. Svpernaut

Obviously you haven't read the entire topic, but thanks for rushing to judgement. Usable barrels will be able to be printed via 3D technology eventually, and that's not even the most important part... the firing and ejection mechanisms are. They can be printed now with hard plastic that would last a few shots for anyone brave enough to use it. The topic is about the "future" more than the present.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

I have a sneaky suspicion one of you wrote the nyt opinion piece and another one is Cody Wilson featured in the wsj piece today.

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I still fail to see what isn't sensationalist about it. It's not hard today to make a working zipgun from simple parts -- that doesn't make it a reliable weapon or a huge threat to public safety. Making a lower receiver isn't the same as manufacturing a whole gun.

I remember the "plastic gun" hysteria of the 80s as well when the advent of the Glock meant that soon everyone would be carrying weapons undetectable in airports, and so on.

10. Rashmon

OP has started multiple misdirection threads.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You started this thread to argue that more gun regulation was irrelevant and ultimately useless because "3D Printing AMERICA!" was right around the corner. Of course, everybody laughed at you because it's really not, but whatever.

Now somebody is saying, fine, we'll regulate that too... problem solved, and you are crying foul

Pick an argument, genius.

Don't say "But what about THREE D PRINTERS HUH" - get a perfectly logical response to an illogical question, and then start crying.

It makes you look like a bigger idiot than you already do, which is considerable.

12. Ruredi84

Ruredi84 Member

"Well, you can only have this many of this lethal ability at this time and we're going to keep databases". I'm sure the home invasion industry will take a liking to this cap. What is a database going to do when the next crazy decides he's going to kill a bunch of innocents? It appears, a handful of crazies renders law abiding citizens untrustworthy. It appears, anybody that owns a gun is unstable and limiting all of you potential crazies/criminals to a six shooter in our database will somehow reduce the probability of a mass killing occurring.

I understand why anti-gun activists believe regulation and outright bans could prevent gun violence. Simple theory, eliminate guns and you eliminate gun violence. Once guns have been eliminated from our society, we can live without relative fear of mass killings. Is that right? So we're going to push this agenda towards the Afghans, the Iranians, the other twelve dozen countries that want to see us burn? So long as we can keep these crazy domestic blood thirsty citziens away from guns, the rest of the world will follow.......

13. Ruredi84

Ruredi84 Member

what is "gun violence" in america? Is it a bunch of "Mexi's", "Blacks", and other "Minorities" killing eachother? For alll you Progressives out there, you said you could rehabilitate these guys, and get them to THINK...., and not......kill eachother.......guess what....violent crime down for the fifth straight year.

14. Svpernaut

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uQz2aNGDoh0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Getting closer...

15. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OP has consistently shown an inability to engage arguments and facts at a basic level. Any time someone points out why the fantasy world he's living in is a fantasy (3D printing), he just re-asserts his claim "it will happen eventually!" (a statement, when you think about it for 2 seconds is a stupid justification.) Similarly, any time you pin him down on the stupidity of his argument, he relies on "Hey man, I'm not trying to debate", which begs the question: why is he starting these stupid threads in the first place? When you refuse to acknowledge facts, and refuse to engage in arguments, it really makes you wonder what the use of these threads are.

16. Svpernaut

Sure buddy. 3D printing is fantasy? Have you even read this thread where there is PROOF that it is happening? They are 3D printing HUMAN BODY PARTS!

There are commercial grade 3D printers that could EASILY print quality plastic weapons, and sooner or later that technology is going to trickle down to individuals and small businesses, it is only a matter of time.

I'll debate you on 3D printing all freaking day, because we have this thing called scientific proof that will make it a short and sweet argument. I'll have my 3D printer in May which I ordered last week, where I'll happily provide working examples as seen elsewhere in this thread, with a 3D printer that cost me $545 shipped.

I don't debate politics or anything else on this forum because it is pointless. The people who bash me are the same people shouting for tolerance everywhere else in society. Hypocrites. No one is changing anyone else's minds. I chime in to simply state my opinion and pass time, and come back whenever I have spare time. I'm sorry I don't have hours upon hours to waste here like so many of you beating dead horses and circle-jerking each other day after day.

17. Svpernaut

Oh, and 3D printing isn't just limited to plastic, I've already shown the TED Talks showing 3D printing organic material (read organs). Again, these industrial-based technologies will eventually be affordable enough to trickle down to individuals, like 3-AXIS CNC machines have.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/20R9nItDmPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B9VOwqtOglg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...-the-final-frontier-of-additive-manufacturing

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I totally agree. It's a psychological mind thing, and always will be. If you get rid of the tool of murder it does help but with the way the government is plotting there will be no way for citizens to defend themselves against their own government when the day comes.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

If you have to defend yourself against the government, you have already lost. You cannot have the firepower to defend yourself against the local police, let alone the national guard.