1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub the ELITE

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Oct 1, 2012.

1. msn

msn Member

...because he's an all-time great, perhaps?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Peyton Manning is a choke artist
    Been saying this
    Hell . . there is a reason Tennessee won a national championship AFTER he left.
    With Tee Martin . . . TEE FRICKING MARTIN . . . I don't even think Tee played a down in the NFL

Rocket River

3. Major

Major Member

These statements are why this thread doesn't die. Peyton threw for 40 more yards per game and 15 more TDs, with only 1 more INT. He also had a higher completion %, yards per attempt, and QB rating. So basically, he was better in every way. And he did this without any sort of consistency in the running game.

4. Major

Major Member

I don't think these are elite numbers. There were 11 QBs that threw for 4000+ yards this year, including the likes of Carson Palmer and Josh Freeman. 12 QBS threw for at least 26 TDs, including Josh Freeman and Philip Rivers. The INTs were great and the YPA were great. The QBR was his best number, but would still have ranked 7th in the league this year.

The points and W/L are obviously fantastic, but that ignores the fact that the Texans had the best running game in the league and a top 3 defense during that stretch. There are at least a dozen QBs in the league that would put up outstanding W/L numbers and points given ideal circumstances like that.

And you had to be very specific to create the 16 game stretch you wanted to show him being "elite". In the 8 games surrounding that stretch (4 on each side), the team was 2-6. Schaub was around 7th to 10th statistically when you picked his best 16 game stretch compared to everyone else's 2012. If you gave every other QB the luxury of picking their best 16 game stretch to compare to his, Schaub would be lower.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

(sigh)..............

Let's try it this way: if you *reduce* 2012's leaders to Schaub's 504 passing attempts:
    Yards:
    Brees: 3,894
    Stafford: 3,433
    Romo: 3,813
    Brady: 3,819
    ----
    Schaub: 4,035 (not only 1st but the NFL's only 4,000+-yard passer)

TDs:
    Brees: 32
    Rodgers: 36
    Manning: 32
    Brady: 27
    ------
    Schaub: 26 (tied for 7th; Ben and Wilson would jump ahead; Schaub would be tied with Ryan)

Meanwhile...
    ......And yet your conclusion is:
    ?
    Keep in mind: not only is his head coach a run-first head coach, but when I started this thread (8 games in), the Texans' average margin of victory in those 8 games was three TDs. And we all watched Kubiak put many of those games on cruise control.

I mean... how would you describe the "NFL's passing leader" (based on 504 attempts) who threw the "7th most" TDs and compiled additional numbers that were (I'm quoting here), "great," "great," "his best number," and "obviously fantastic"?

Stretches are arbitrary, yes; this one happened to conveniently go for 16 games. Unfortunately, starting with game 17, Schaub's performance fell off a cliff (or I would have kept it going); many of us thought it was the start of his long-awaited ascension (with, finally, playoff games looming). But that Tennessee game (a big one at the time and what would be "game 1") felt like the moment the 2011 team finally put it together.

Like I said: I've always tried to be objective; he was (excluding the first Colt game) terrible down the stretch. But, come on... the 16 games prior were, you know (whispering)elite(/whispering)...

#1665 Hey Now!, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

So I hope you and DonnyMost will FINALLY admit:

Flacco > Schaub

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is Flacco an elite QB who can run?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Run to escape pressure and make a play? Yes.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Which is the only thing Schaub is absolutely terrible at. If he can improve that aspect, he'll be just as capable of winning a superbowl.

10. ubigred

Arm replacement therapy?

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think his arm is good enough. He needs to work on squats, leg presses, and explosion drills so that he can drive the ball with his legs. His leg muscles will also help him avoid finger sacks. He just needs to work harder in the gym.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Too late for that. Schaub will never have a strong arm like Flacco. Schaub has peaked and is probably regressing.

13. conquistador#11

fantasy dorks running rampant again. Flacco is a damn good qb, said that even when the same guys saying he is better than schaub were dissing the guy. But he, like schaub both depend on the flow and continuity of their o-lines. Flacco, when hurried, self destructs. And not one team has applied serious pressure.
    Not enough credit, by you fantasy dorks is given to what the ravens line and defense has done in the post season. If our Defense played at this elite level and casey doesn't drop a pass, our noodle arm walks a way with a victory and 3 tds.

Texans have got to get their act together defensively causing chaos and turnovers. A stout defense prevails more times than not.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good luck hoping that happens. He's not in his 20's or even athletically gifted.

15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

For having such a weaker arm, it's funny how Schaub has more yards per attempt.

16. ubigred

So are you saying Schaub has a stronger arm than Flacco?

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yep, several of the plays Flacco made in this game, whether throws or scrambles and throws, Schaub is simply not capable of making.

18. ubigred

Point.Blank.Period.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Leaving the whole west-coast vs downfield passing thing aside, two other things still make a difference. One is TD passes, the reason why Texans put up 3s while Ravens put up 7s. The other is that Schaub melted down the stretch(except against prevent defenses). And at 32, that is a horrible sign.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How much better is Flacco than Schaub?