1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White on ESPN Outside the Lines, January 22nd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Jan 16, 2013.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

One thing I don't understand: White's hat collection the way he himself currently hangs them up bothers him yet he doesn't change the method of storage to something that makes him more comfortable. There is some analogy or metaphor in there, but I'm not insightful enough to find it.

2. Metta

Metta Member

I have no other opinion on R. White other than he defrauded his way into a guaranteed contract... that being said, the only thing I can add here is, I know the eyes of someone who has just smoked out, and in that HBO piece, during the sit down interview, that dude was el-high-oh.

It takes a stoner to know a stoner.

3. SRR21

SRR21 Member

I was thinking the same thing

4. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

It helped him overcome the anxiety of going on a interview that will be aired to millions of people.

Seriously, just trade his ass to Denver. Anxiety disorder resolved.

5. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

Didn't watch it. What happened?

6. Dei

Dei Member

OK. For what?

7. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Hopefully a 1st rnd pick...

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

My bad for being wayyy late on this, wasn't going to followup in the thread till I the interview came around

after he posted this tweet

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I haven't been with the team for the past month 1/2, games and practice due to the protocol debate. So how is it about the D-League? <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23BeWell">#BeWell</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/285558415932149762">December 31, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I basically just replied:

"where was protocol back in summer league? Looked fine in your silver suit on the Vegas strip at 3am. Protocol during preseason?"

I was pissed off when he replied to someone I was following where she asked "What are your demands?" and he replied "PROTOCOL!!!" in all caps shortly after I made my above tweet, so apparently again, he doesn't want to answer my question.

and yes, there is a few people that can back me up that he was on the Vegas Strip at 3am during Summer League and some other even someone else here on the board witness I'll let that poster spill if they want to if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

As far as the OTL interview goes, its the same "protocol demands" we've been hearing. Nothing much else to say other than what has been said already.

If anybody has or can direct me to the HBI Real Sports interview, you would be awesome....

9. Metta

Metta Member

That's the most NBAest player thing he's ever done. #hope

10. BFF

BFF Member

He will be a great player #edsel

11. HardLin

HardLin Member

It is about D-league. Because Royce got suspended because he refused to go to D-league. He wants an "independent" (i.e. his) doctor to tell the Rockets that D-league is bad for his mental health. And he wants the Rockets to be forced to comply. And the Rockets are not as stupid as he's hoping they are.

Someone needs to tell Royce that the road to the NBA for him goes right through the D-league. He will not see a minute of NBA time unless he shows up for D-league. D-league is not "punishment" of any sort. He is not being discriminated against because of his mental issues. He is simply not NBA ready. He is being assigned for his own good, in the hopes that he will improve enough to deserve NBA minutes.

If Royce and the Rockets part ways any other team interested in him will only give him a non-guaranteed contract. And any new team that he joins will not give him NBA minutes until he accepts his assignment to D-league. Lack of acceptance of his D-league assignment shows that Royce lacks the maturity, the humility, and the willingness for hard work that it takes to be an NBA player. Refusing D-league is detrimental to Royce and detrimental to the team and any new team will have no choice now but to send Royce to D-league - just to see if he goes.

12. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

If he feels nervous simply hearing the word "plane", how can he stay on the court standing alongside with KG who would probably insult every single member of his family?

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Would hae trouble guarding:

[​IMG]

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What if the Celtics for some reason pick him up

he would quit the team the first day because Garnett yelled at him

15. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

I don't think there's any doubt that professional sports don't have a lot of experience dealing with mental illness. Look at other issues. I'm only 34 but my high school football coach made fun of people for getting water. Look at NFL concussions. Look at how long it took baseball to embrace saber metrics. Look at all the idiots running professional sports franchises. Billion dollar industries run by, basically, dumb jocks. And culturally pro sports are macho and image driven.
    I'm not saying Royce is covering himself in glory here. But the knee jerk reaction to this situation is absurd. Let it play out. Pro sports has never really dealt with mental illness in any significant way. It will take bad PR for pro sports to see players as people rather than commodities.

16. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

He has some audacity in him. He said the Rox work environment is totally unsafe and its because they are uneducated.

How much more are the Rockets gonna put up with this charade? Just get rid of him, cut our losses and move on.

I just hope he does something really stupid so we are left with no other choice to cut him.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's not knee jerk.

It's a reaction to his pompous, demanding, entitled, arrogant, insufferable attitude ("imaginer, humanitarian, writer", passive aggressive "be well" and his obvious scam attempt (he was fine - or pretended to be fine - just until he signed the contract that guaranteed his money (or so he thought) - once that was signed, he started making demands for special treatment).

If it was someone with a proven mental illness who actually showed some effort and humility, the reactions would be much different.

He is not maligned for - allegedly - having a mental illness, but for the way he goes about it.

1 person likes this.
  18. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

uneducated my @ss, we have a harvard kid and a GM from MIT, just cut him already

19. DikembeOlajuwan

I wonder if his troopers know their hero is just a thief trying to graduate to conman, and the thing about driving yet hes driving in fog while taking pictures for his twitter account. Pure comedy gold right there he needs to step up his game if he wants to swindle an NBA organization.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Please read this-

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the Royce white situation. I honestly agree with him that his mental disorder should be looked at the same as a physical disorder. I don't think he's handled things well up to this point, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the rockets drafted him knowing about the issue, and as a result, they have to be willing to do things that aren't conventional. In principle, the mental health protocol he wants is not unreasonable if you see mental health disability the same as a physical disability. Here's where it gets difficult. When a player is physically injured, the team doctor makes the decision about whether or not the player is fit to play. If Royce wants parity, he should be willing to accept a team's mental health professional (who is trained and qualified to deal with the illness) as the arbiter of his mental illness when I comes to his professional responsiilities as a member of the rockets. The problem now is that he doesn't trust that the rockets sincerely care about his mental health and the rockets do not trust that he won't ever be satisfied with anything they do for him, or that he'll meet his responibilities as a professional basketball player after terms are agreed to.

At the end of the day, I honestly think the rockets have to go the extra, extra mile because they drafted him knowing full well about is handicap. The only way to move forward is to establish trust, and the only way that's going to happen is if the rockets "jump" first.