1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the WEST FINALS Game 3 -- Can the Timberwolves get back in this? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Oh, his contract was only for 2 seasons? Its looking less likely, then, that he'll be coaching the team next year.

2. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

His contract is over in six month? You sure? Rockets and McHale agreed to 2 years ago right?

3. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

4. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

agreed to 2 years couple of years ago? Fixed.

5. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Let the man go, he was not made out to be a coach.

6. atwood

atwood Member

better fire him soon to fully develop and explore the potential of these young players

7. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Fire him please!!! (Unless you want the young players to play "matador" defense and brush up on their ISO skills).

8. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

McHale is a ridiculous coach - In recent games he has guarded 7' Dirk Nowitzki with 6'6" Carlos Delfino, played Parsons at center, keeps playing Harden around 40 minutes a game and today played someone who has played 4 NBA games in his life the last 15 minutes of the game while sitting his starting PG who he plays in the corner. This is not to mention that the Rockets have the worst defense in the league.

MOREY PLEASE STOP THIS CR**!!!!!

9. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but Adam Clanton this afternoon on 1560 said he has an inside source that players arnt talking with Mchale and that if we had lost today there was a good chance he would have been fired. Has anyone else heard anything of the sort?

10. pnr

pnr Member

I see another losing streak coming and if the rumor is true, i hope morey bites the bullet. I would be shocked if it happened tho considering his family tragedy.

11. atwood

atwood Member

Not surprised, McHale lost the players' trust for sure.

12. pacmania

pacmania Member

Morey grossly underestimated the value of a good coach in his calculations. There was nothing in Mchale's resume' as a coach (win-loss percentage, etc.) that would make his appointment as rockets coach credible. I think it was more of the Boston connection between Morey and Mchale . Its a big mistake to hire someone on the basis of personal friendship when there are more qualified and competent people out there.

13. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

You have to realize that it is not just a Mchale's problem, it is a Morey's problem as well. They are in the same boat right now. And Morey probably has convinced McFail to coach this team into a layup & 3 point only team since Morey's stat system highly valued those shots.

14. brick

brick Member

The worse part is that our young players keep playing under this "efficiency-tuned" pick-up game system and getting the wrong training about their fundamentals.

15. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Are you sure? Someone please confirm this.
    I can't see him getting fired this season either. But knowing he won't be coaching next season makes me feel better.

SH-T's about to get real! :eek: Damn you Bobcats for letting us win.
    How reliable is Adam Clanton?

How about getting Coach Gentry who was just fired by the Suns? I went to their forum and fans are surprisingly supportive of him and instead blame the crappy players for their losing record. And apparently he's a PG friendly coach, perhaps he could get Jeremy involved some.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

McHale has always said his preference is to have a team playing inside-out team starting with the big man.

17. loveofthegame44

In five games since returning to the starting lineup, Patterson has averaged four points per game on 8-of-26 (30.8 percent) shooting. McHale said he would like to get more going toward the rim, but his power forwards also need to be more assertive.

“We need to get inside, first of all,” McHale said. “You can’t get touches inside if you’re hanging around at 18 feet. You have to go inside, but you can also offensive rebound. We’ve got to figure out
    how we can get that spot going again for us.

This doesn't even make sense. Considering he add them in the corner and they run one post up a game.

18. torocan

torocan Member

Hrm, if this is true it would explain some of the performance over the last stretch of games.

If McHale has lost the locker room, that's pretty significant.

19. brick

brick Member

McHale may not be confident about his own coaching preference because he's got no record. And he has invested too much into this "3's and layups only" system that it is hard to change, considering what the players think of him now.

20. kcal

kcal Member

I've seen at least part of two dozen rockets games this season. I suppose this bothered me all along, but now I have to ask: what type of offense is mchale running?

It doesn't seem to fit any particular model of offense I'm used to seeing. I don't see:

1. the typical point/big pnr: stockton/malone

2. inside out post to perimeter offense: dump in to shaq and dwight; pop out to a 3 pt shooter

3. left/right wing iso's (carmelo anthony)

There doesn't seem to be any traditional point guard play, either.

My question is: what is mchale trying to accomplish and what offensive scheme is he using?

He must be using SOMETHING, but I can't recognize it.