1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Restricting Guns & Magazines in NOT the Answer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 15, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Deterrence isn't the purpose of a weapon. The purpose of a weapon is to kill. The ability to kill serves as a deterrence based on the motive of the entity that has the weapon. A nuke isn't a deterrent weapon for someone people believe is intent on blowing up a country. In fact it makes use of force against that actor much more likely, ie Iran.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Jesus Christ with the 3d printers. We have people with actual guns killing actual people every damn day and you've completely glossed over that to talk about your 3d printers. Actually we shouldn't even be talking about guns because laser technology is pretty advanced and we won't be able to stop phasers from evaporating people soon.

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

You know me so well. Do you know the last time I went to the range? Probably a year ago. I have much cheaper ways to make my wiener tingle (notice the correct spelling). I have weapons for self defense, and because according to the Bill of Rights it is my God given right to do so. I'm not a competitive shooter, or someone who goes to the range every week... not that it is any of your damn business anyway.

Sorry, but you are wrong. I think it is safe to say that I know and talk to more pro-gun people than most, and they all want us to FOCUS on the the key areas of improvement... in fact, that is the basis of many of their arguments just as it is mine. We all know that violence is 4 times higher in the city. Focus on that. We all know that drugs lead to most of the violent crime. Focus on that.

You make sweeping accusations about gun enthusiasts that are just flat out false in the hopes of trying to prove your point. The arguments that I am voicing here are echoed by millions of gun owners. You're focusing and using political capital on weapons and magazines that account for less than 2% of all murders in the US. I'd have much more respect for the anti-gun movement if their attacks were on handguns, because at least I can understand that.

No, now you're putting words in my mouth. Technology makes it easier for people to get weapons, and that has been the case throughout human history. Those in positions of power must adapt to those increases in technology. There's a reason our government spends billions on cyber crime and cyber sleuthing.

You don't think technology has helped people kill more in recent years? I encourage you to investigate how terrorists utilize the internet to both spread propaganda, recruit members and investigate potential targets. I also encourage you to investigate how totalitarian regimes have used censorship of internet to help accomplish their agenda. They also use it to silence uprisings by tracking them.

People buy weapons on the internet every day. How about sex offenders and the internet? Or rapists and Craigslist? Technology can and does help violent offenders perpetrate their acts. 3D printing will be no different. Thus, the reason is to get to the bottom of why people do the things they do. To see the early warning signs, and stop the violence before it can occur.

Bull****. Deterrence is and can be a purpose of a weapon. Read up on the Cold War rather than blindly chanting the same rhetoric. There are countless examples throughout history where weapons have been used as deterrents. Police openly display their guns for the psychological benefit, and most never fire their guns at people during their entire careers. Don't be ridiculous. Also, do you know how evolution works?

Many animals puff out their chest or change colors to deter would-be predators. Others actually evolve in to poisonous prey defense. See "Prey Defenses" in any biology textbook. Just because that animal can make poison doesn't mean the poison is to kill, because it only uses said poison in the event of defense. Poison dart frogs don't go around massacring animals, they are brightly colored so predators KNOW that they are poisonous.

It is quite clear that you openly bash things because you are ignorant to them. You can put your head in the sand and act like it isn't a big deal, but one of our law makers is already making it a big deal. 3D printing is going to change the world (and it already is to some extent), whether you want to live in denial with snide comments or not.

That's the point, nearly every post I've seen of yours in D&D has been a direct attack at others, rather than you know... debating and discussing things. Grow up. Try fashioning responses out of logic and reason rather than emotion.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

No, but then again, there is no data to suggest that serious crime rates are positively correlated with access to weapons.
    How many ICBMs have been used to kill? How many ICBMs have been used for deterrence? How many countries that have ICBMs have been attacked by other nation-states? Since you bring up Iran, why do you think they are trying to develop nuclear weapons?

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know who you are, nor your friends. What I know of gun enthusiasts comes from watching the news and watching laws pass. Since this is a debate about a national issue, I would think their opinions count more than yours or your friends. Because they have the numbers/power.

Technology also makes it easier to find criminals and act as deterrent. I was just asking for evidence that technology helps criminals more than it helps the police, hence tilting the balance of power to one side or the other. Government tracking/intervention of private life has never been closer with today's technology? I would absolutely feel more likely to get away with murder 50 years ago than today.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How many people can own a car without registration and a licence legally? How many people can own a gun without any sort of regulation? Gun Shows.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If I was going to argue about a subject, the news would never be a source, unless it was real unbiased investigative journalism, which rarely happens anymore.
    The only things news outlets care about is advertising. They get advertising dollars from viewership. Which do you think sells better? Transparent honest stories or skewed graphs and numbers, body counts and negativity? Why do you think Fox News has more viewers than any other news outlet?

If you want an accurate opinion, then go out and see for yourself. Try to buy a few guns. Go shoot a few handguns, shotguns and assault rifles. Perhaps you'll actually find that gun owners are really not right wing nut bags on the verge of breaking and wiping out half a town.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

As a veteran who has more than half his friend list full of veterans and gun lovers I should show you my facebook wall.... politcal meme after meme of Obama is the next Hitler etc....

10. Granville

Granville Member

LOL at Mr Spelling Nazi....

And you can defend your family without an assault rifle and high capacity cartridges. Where is it that you live that a shotgun, rifle or revolver isn't enough for you to defend your family. You use stupid logic to support a losing argument.

11. Space Ghost

I am well aware as I have my fair share too, some worse than others. I also have those on the left side who do it too. Regardless of opinions, I don't think any less of them as a person. Shootings rarely have anything to do with politics. As long as they store and operate their weapons safely and don't promote violence, im fine with them.

12. Svpernaut

So you admit you know NOTHING personally about gun owners, and all the information you receive is via 3rd party... yet you are completely fine with bashing said gun owners with sweeping accusations? Sad.

It isn't a quantifiable statistic. You can't track crimes that people get away with if no one knows there was a crime. This includes millions of crimes that are perpetrated on the internet every single day.

Heck, just use file sharing as an example. Hundreds of millions of items are stolen every day in the United States via torrent and file sharing sites. The internet has allowed the average soccer mom to become a flat-out thief... and worse yet, a thief with no remorse because they feel it is a victim-less crime.

There have been studies that have shown kids and teens today feel they have a RIGHT to download copyrighted materials for free. Oh, and more that 40% of kids have been a victim of cyber-bullying... another crime that police can't track or have real stats for. That's the point, technology can change the game.

This is the same with "real world" crime. We have no idea how many people are illegally growing pot in their garages, we only know the people that are caught. Technology has made it easier for people to grow more efficiently with less power to fly under the radar. There are countless examples like this.

My logic is actually perfect. You see, the 2nd amendment allows me to defend myself and my family however I damn well please. From a .22 to a .44 Magnum. You know the best part? The 2nd amendment doesn't give a rats ass what your opinion on the matter is, because you're not a Supreme Court justice.

I think it is hilarious you call it a losing argument, when I have my guns in my closet and one next to my keyboard as I type this.

13. Space Ghost

Since you still can not differentiate between assault rifles and rifles, lets get you some visuals. (and for the others who still have a hard time with this concept)

[​IMG]

This gun is a rifle that the naive anti-gun crowd believes is acceptable to own, whether to defend ones self, hunt or go out back and target practice. It is not classified as an Assault weapon.

[​IMG]
    This gun is an AR15 and is considered an assault weapon. To clarify your misconception, assault rifles have been heavily regulated (banned unless one possess a federal permit) since 1934.

There are five key differences between these two rifles:
    1) One looks scarier and more threatening than the other (the biggest difference)
    2) One has a folding or telescoping stock
    3) One has a bayonet mount
    4) One has a pistol grip
    5) One has a flash suppressor (not to be confused with a silencer)

These two rifles have these in common:
    1) Both rifles can fire the popular .223, .556, or 7.62x39 (ak47 round).
    2) Both have detachable magazines, whether laws limit them to 7 rounds, 10 or no limit.
    3) Both are semi-automatic

Explain to us how the five differences between these two rifles would have made a difference in the Sandy Hook or Colorado Theater shooting, or any other shootings that used a rifle?

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

What is the difference in the rate of fire?

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure, one is optimized for delivering slaughter to large numbers as fellow human beings as quickly as possible. The other is not.

As you can see, this works equally well for kindergarteners as it does for Viet Cong.

It should sicken you, but instead you embarrass yourself, which a considerable feat at this stage of your posting career.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Somehow I remember Granville and myself on different sides of the ideological fence but I'm glad we can agree about the folly of assault rifle and high capacity cartridges.

10 years ago my dad bought a .45. Then he bought a 30-round clip for it. I was like, "Dad, you live in Iowa. Rambo is not breaking into your house."

17. Space Ghost

Rate of fire?? They are semi-automatics, the same has handguns, the same as 99% of all guns used in crimes. That means they fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Assault rifles (not to be confused with assault weapons) have selectable firing rates, whether its semi-automatic, short burst or fully automatic. Assault rifles are BANNED and have been for decades. The AR15 is NOT an assault rifle.

18. Space Ghost

You have failed at reading comprehension.

If you had bothered to take the two minutes to study the differences, you would have understood a few facts.

Both of the guns are semi-automatic ONLY.
    Both are magazine fed.
    Both use the .223/5.56/7.62x39 rounds

These are both the same gun except for the following:

The 'ranch rifle' does not have a telescoping or folding stock. Explain to me where a folding stock has lead to an increase of deaths.

The 'ranch rifle' does not have a bayonet attachment. Explain to me where bayonets has lead to an increase of deaths.

The 'ranch rifle' does not have a pistol grip. Explain to me where a pistol grip has lead to an increase of deaths.

The 'ranch rifle' does not have a flash suppressor. Explain to me where a flash suppressor has lead to an increase of deaths.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not a failure at reading comprehension - It's a voluntary failure at reading - I did not really read any of your post (and have not really read most of the above). I don't think I missed anything.

My point stands unrefuted. You don't need a military weapon designed to maximize the body count in civilian hands. I dont' give a **** which particular ones qualify, thought he AR-15 and its variants obviously do by any reasonable definition. Interweb Numbnuts posting about bayonets doesn't make a dime's worth of difference on that issue.

20. Svpernaut

This is the problem... ignorance of facts. As pointed out it is a semiautomatic, the same as every gun that isn't a bolt-action rifle or pump shotgun. It fires as fast as you pull the trigger, like EVERY SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPON. Like HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of semi-automatic weapons legally owned.