1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Lin is better for the Rockets and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by catch22, Jan 18, 2013.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Agreed. I doubt Rockets can get anything good for him with his current play (maybe a J.J Barea level type of player). Besides there's no way Les will let Morey trade Lin unless he's a total bust so not even worth speculating.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/07-20-12-secret-story-behind-the-jeremy-lin-move-an-angry-hang-up-phone-call-changed-everything-for-houston-rockets-knicks/

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey wanted Dragic over Lin. But Dragic was too expensive. He then signed Lin as Plan B. Given that I don't remember any other PGs on the market, he probably settled for Lin more than anything else, probably at Les' urging.

Also, Morey talks a lot about what Lin can do, rather than his accomplishment. That's how you talk about a prospect, not a veteran. I'm quite sure the Rockets don't believe the current Jeremy Lin is worth that money.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think the exact opposite. I think no matter how badly Lin plays, he has some value to the Rockets due to Les' Chinese connections from Yao days. So I don't think he'll be traded for sucking. OTOH, if he plays really well, and can somehow be in a package for, say, Kevin Love, that's when Lin can be conceivably traded.

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Hmmmm I dunno, if Lin ends up like Yi Jiangliang 2.0, I don't see Les keeping him. He didn't go after Yi did he?

5. jocar

jocar Member

Tha fk? Are you having a debate with yourself on this page?

Who's winning?
    :grin:

6. kcal

kcal Member

JLin has said all of the right things. I will never question his work ethic, or his unselfishness. His commitment to doing whatever the coaching staff wants him to do is also clearly evident.

Having said that, I rarely see this cat smile anymore. He looks almost as unhappy as Jerry West when he was GM in Los Angeles. When you saw photos of west in memphis, or when you see him now, he's got a beaming smile on his face. West felt mistreated, disrespected and underpaid in LA. He would never say so, but the tension was apparent whenever he gave an interview, and with every denial he uttered.

Lin's situation is very different. He can't get away from the basic problem/challenge he will always confront (unlike west), which is that most people in or around the association, whether it's players, coaches, GM's, DON'T THINK HE CAN PLAY.

Every basket, every good game, every moment of success, seems to strike announcers, teammates and coaches like a thunderbolt; his success strikes everyone as a monumental WTF each and every time, as if every previous success had never happened.

Is JLin being misused? Certainly. Is he being under-utilized. Yes. But he can't wave a magic wand and change beliefs which are incredibly deeply instilled which is that basketball is a black man's game.

Even if Lin is traded, there is no magic elixir which will lead the league to respect him as a player.

Lin is a major talent; he'll be an all star given 2 or 3 years' time. But it will be a much rougher road than it would be if he were white or black.

2 people like this.
  7. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Thankfully, finally someone who truly understand what is going on. You rock, kcal.

If you look at the team's record in the preseason vs in the regular season, there really isn't a big difference between the types of teams we beat and the win/loss ratio. What does that tell you?

8. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

What I find most hilarious is people who thinks he's overpaid. Lin's contract isn't bad for what he gives us, and especially compared to others who are paid similarly:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/48033/jeremy-lins-contract-in-perspective

Just a quick glance and we see he's doing better than Harris and Stuckey.

And don't forget that Lin isn't getting to play his real position. When he did that one game we saw what he could do.

Anyway, there's really no point arguing. Obviously you've already made up your mind about him.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Hopefully, Lin himself doesn't listen to his fans and develop some sort of Royce White-esque persecution syndrome where he blames all his shortcomings to everyone else. Thankfully, I believe he's above all this.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yay! Lin is so awesome we can trade him for Stucky or Devon Harris!!! I bet Morey is salivating at such high trade value.

Teams that would laugh at Morey for suggesting a Lin for their best PG swap.

Thunder
    Spurs
    Lakers
    Sixers
    Grizzlies
    Wolves
    Hornets
    Celtics
    Hawks(Teague younger and cheaper)
    Detroit(Knight younger and cheaper)
    Clippers
    Toronto
    Bulls(once Rose comes back)
    Warriors
    Bobcats
    Brooklyn
    Denver
    Blazers
    Cavs
    Wizards

Teams where Lin would be a sideways move at best

Jazz
    Knicks
    Dallas(would not want his contract)
    Phoenix
    Indiana
    Sacramento(not with Evans/Cousins/Thorton demanding the ball)
    Miami(Lin can't shoot 3s)
    Magic

This leaves only... wait... hold on... ZERO teams where one can say both Lin will flourish as a primary ball handler, and where the other team would markedly improve by getting him.

11. jocar

jocar Member

Fortunately he isn't a p***y playing the race victim card, like you suggest, or he wouldn't have made it this far. What doesn't kill him only will only him stronger - as goes with most high character folks. And I'd imagine he doesn't surround himself with ppl with that type of self-pitying/defeatist attitude, or he'd be screwed.

12. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Houston as a city doesn't deserve Jeremy Lin.

1 person likes this.
  13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Jeremy Lin as a player doesn't deserve a pay check.

1 person likes this.
  14. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

These are two very different things. Kcal first speaks as an observer who has watched Lin from last year to this year. He also pointed out some obvious facts about Lin that some people tend to ignore.

He did say that Lin has said all the right things. No, Lin does not play the martyr card and has never done that.

But it's perfectly acceptable in my opinion for Lin fans to express what they have observed, which could be real or imagined.

Moreover, some of the things kcal mentioned are what are the obvious facts for Lin that some people in their attempts to put down other people conveniently forget. I call this righteous indignation that all people with feelings and thinking are entitled to express.

15. Bball_4life

Bball_4life Member

You can attack the person who said that, but why attack Lin? We all know Lin wouldn't think that. To Falcao who said that, please don't make a statement like that if you're a true Lin's fan and not a troll.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i don't care about race and religion. i was talking about bball facts sincerely. he dragged me into the non bball talking (especially religion and race) which shouldn't be allowed on this board. that made me mad.

he stated harden occasionally handled pg job. it is absolutely not true. why did he bring religion and race into the discussion? :confused:

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Seriously?, there's nothing wrong with what JeffB posted. I think you need to brush up on your language skills :grin:

19. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

While I agree with what you said in this post, I must point out there are several sets of double standards at work on this board and other blogs where it comes to Lin.

This is the first year Lin has been able to play NBA basketball in its real sense. Comparing all his past accomplishments to others' ( e.g., all these other Mr California Basketballs, which Harden was also one), it's not hard to say that he should have gotten a division 1 scholarship but didn't, and he should have been drafted at least as a second rounder but didn't.

So let's just agree that this year is Lin's true first year playing NBA ball. Why then is he alone not allowed by the Rocket fans to grow and develop like all other first year players are? Like John Wall and Kyrie Irving and Derrick Rose and now Damian Lillard have been allowed with their respective teams to go through all the ups and downs with their teams?

Why then is it ok for his fans to watch him to not even been allowed to play his true pg position (for which we were thrilled and happy to have paid to watch him play last year), and instead have to watch him be relegated to be a spot up shooter and expected to be able to do that overnight?

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i am not going to discuss with anyone who always plays race and/or religion card.

move on.