1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 1/16/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 16, 2013.

1. jocar

jocar Member

He only went off because he suddenly decided to not care what the coaches were saying? And his shots only drop when coach says it's ok to go in, right? Damn, you're still posting this ignorant **** in here?

2. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Harden would have 30 and 40 point games coming off the bench last season with OKC... If JLin can start knocking down outside shots and make defenders respect him and take pressure off Harden, then there will be nights when Harden goes off for 40 plus points.

3. steady

steady Member

From Dream Shake:
    http://www.thedreamshake.com/2013/1...inst-dallas-mavericks-for-fifth-straight-loss

"3) Interesting Lin vs. Harden Dynamic Late in the Game

On a night where James Harden was struggling big time and Jeremy Lin caught fire in the fourth, it was Harden that was taking the late game shots. And missing them.

Harden has been doing it all season, but on a night where Harden clearly did not have his A-game, I think Lin has to be less passive and simply take those late shots. He was hitting in the fourth, so there was no reason for him to let up and dump the ball off to Harden.

In the end, Harden missed far too many easy looks for the Rockets to come up with the victory."

4. jocar

jocar Member

Omg, a rational, insightful, non-blame-shifting post! Couldn't have said it any better. Glad I didn't put you on the ignore list too soon :D

5. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

It's the coaches, it's the weather, it's the alignment of the sun and the moon _ but it has nothing to do with the fact that Lin is just pretty much a rookie and still needs to develop.

6. steady

steady Member

Pat Bev will probably get some PT on this road trip. Hoping Anderson and DMo get some too. Our guys are tired, and getting sick. This month's schedule is brutal. Let the bench play.

7. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Interesting point of view. I also think the 9 turnovers in the 1st quarter, missed free throws, bad calls (like when Dirk got hit in the face and the no charge call on Lin), Parsons disappearing offensively in the second half, Delfino went back to his old ways, etc. had a lot to do with the Rockets not winning as well... But just my point of view..

8. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

This is Lin's first full year with Houston and his first full year as a starting PG in the NBA. I was impressed with his clutch performance in the 4th quarter on the second night of a back to back.

Maybe if Harden didn't shoot 5-23 (21.7%) from the field and 1-8 (12.5%) from three-point land the Rockets win.

Vinny Del Negro is managing his backcourt a lot better than McHale is managing his. Vinny keeps his players fresh. Can't say the same about McHale.

9. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Correct.

10. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Do you see what Vinny has to work with...???

11. rokit

rokit Member

so what happened in the 4th quarter? mavs suddenly started respecting his shot so he was able to be aggressive and a number one scoring option?

12. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Do you see what Vinny has to work with...???

The clippers have starters coming off their bench and the Rockets have guys who are starting who probably should be on the bench.

13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Nope... He saw Beverly playing GREAT and realized he better step his game up...

14. Arthurprescott2

No. Harden/Lin PnR is what happened. They have to respect Lin's ability to drive and they have to respect Harden no matter where he is on the floor so 1-2 PnR works for them.

15. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

The way McHale is distributing minutes, either Lin is tired or Harden is tired, especially on back to backs. That equates to missing shots due to fatigue or having no legs on D.

Clippers 4 guard rotation

Chris Paul
    Jamal Crawford
    Eric Bledsoe
    Willie Green or Chauncey Billups (injured)

Everybody gets minutes. Everybody is fresh at all times. There is no reason why McHale can't do the same thing.

Jeremy Lin
    James Harden
    Patrick Beverley
    Toney Douglas

16. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Harden has gradually turned himself into a worst version of She-Mac right in front of our eyes. Those ugly ISOs served no purpose for this team. It discouraged his teammates from playing team basketball. His TOs are the worst kind of, which always lead to easy basketball for the other team.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

They need to use it more. The play calls are so odd in my opinion. Like in the first two games of the season Lin harden PNR was what we saw. Then McHale started to coach the team & we went away from it. Then McHale brings it back when he realized that Lin wasn't in a shooting slump but that he legitimately cannot shoot this season so the only way to make the two of them effective was to run the 1-2 PNR. Then it goes away only to resurface in last nights game.

Remember the pick & pop action we used to do with PPatt? Haven't seen that in forever.

Remember the back door cuts we used to run Lin bounce pass to harden or Harden bounce pass to Lin?

It is like we see these plays & they work for us & then they disappear.

McHale also needs to teach PPatt & Morris how to set proper screens & picks consistently but that won't happen. The only coach in the NBA that actually teaches fundamentals like positioning & all that is Pop no other coach does that.

Our offense is just so all over the place like McHales in game substitutions. I swear I will never forget the 2nd quarter when McHale was bringing Harden & Lin on & off the court like a ****ing yo yo.

18. Arthurprescott2

Yea I don't know Roxxy. I'm not gonna criticize McHale. But I sure am confused... Obviously, he's seeing a lot more than we are. But we can't place the blame on McHale. Wasn't his fault last night. It was clearly dumb turnovers again and again. I mean Delfino literally tried to kill the game himself in his first five minutes with 4 TOs. 4 TOs in 5 mins.

The substitution patterns were a bit weird yesterday partly because of early foul trouble by Harden and Asik. Lin was in and out depending on his play - which I'm fine with.

More than the play calling throughout the game though, it scares me when this team doesn't run. Are our players really hitting the wall already? I know the schedule has been brutal and they're playing a lot of minutes, but they're young right? Do we need to open up the rotation a bit more?

19. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

If that's the case, why wouldn't McHale run that play over and over in the first three quarters?

Here is the obvious question: is McHale so obtuse that he can't see what the casual fans see? I don't think so. Something else worked in the 4th quarter and after re-watching the game, I still could not put my finger on any one thing. But something did work for the team to come all the way back.

20. pnr

pnr Member

Except we've been losing to teams we should be beating right now. The hard teams are around the corner.