1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Rockets fans eating their own.

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

It's a nice idea, but I'm sure there will be a new thread when Comcast decides to sell their channel to one of the other cable providers.

3. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

I just hate that absolutely nothing has happened since CSN launched. There were a few interviews and discussions about it on radio and online during October, but nothing since then. No questions to anyone in the organization or people at the top of CSN, no statements from them, no responses from tv providers (other than credits to calm us down), no responsibility taken by Les, Crane and everyone else involved with this deal, no reporting on the situation, no digging to see why it's taking so long, and no way to change the cards we're dealt right now. We're mad, sad, frustrated and alienated. I just wish somebody, anybody that carries some weight to find out more or do something about the situation, would do so.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

wtf is Clutch supposed to do about a giant contract issue like this? Lmao!

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps I am misreading your post, but what good would it do if Clutch refused to work with them? Do you think it would help the issue if Clutch said "screw you Comcast, until you get this issue resolved, I am not going to be involved with you"? If that is the case, should every ClutchFan member with Comcast cancel their subscriptions until the issue gets resolved?

What impact do you think it would have if Clutch refused to work with Comcast?

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Sadly, I don't think it'd have much impact at all, which is why I don't blame anyone for dancing with the devil. I've written that in my posts...think it'd be a long shot at best. We're just all pawns as consumers and fans, and stuck with the new normal.

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I feel strongly that this website taking an active stance is necessary.

Yes, it may hurt Clutch (David's) T.V. appearances for a few months, but after the battle is over, clutchfans will still be the rocket's number on fan site and his input will be valued by Comcast again.

Having the site do nothing comes up short to me. This is the voice of the fan. And unless you are part of the 40% of Houston that has comcast (which puts you significantly in the minority) the fans voice is upset and should be lashing back at the powers that be.

Individually, we have our own tasks that we can do (call providers, write providers, threaten to or comlpetely cancel your service and switch). But I sure would appreciate this site echoing the majorities sentiments.

At the end of the day, while this site has become the voice of the fan, it was because David set it up in the firstplace. So ultimately, it's his call on how it is run. But I am disappointed that it hasn't been vocal to this point.

1 person likes this.
  8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Wow. One more time. It doesn't matter what the coverage is. The basic product is the Rockets and Astros. The extra coverage actually draws lower ratings than the games. If that is what the RSNs are relying upon the justify the 50% price increase, they have vastly overestimated the value of their product.

It takes two parties to negotiate, and Comcast isn't exactly willing to negotiate either, the providers have suggested tiering and other models. Comcast has flatly refused. Who is unwilling to negotiate?

9. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Last year it was the lock-out, this year it's comcast... Honestly, if it werent for Lin and Harden, this team have be moving to Seattle (I'm joking of course). But I can't tell you how much this hurts my love for this team... I CAN'T WATCH THEM PLAY!! My friends and parents have no idea who the players are or anything... I hope to goodness that we make the playoffs and TNT covers our series..

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

the lockout last year, the super team formations, now lack of this channel...I have no interest in the NBA anymore.

Thanks Comcast and the rockets!

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

This

CSNH is just a pawn in a larger corporate struggle, it's capitalism. This site will have no bearing any corporate decision.

If Clutchfans had an agenda, it would be to drive hits and ad revenue. That would be pro-Uverse and others.

As a 'group' we should just keep posting the best work-arounds to support 'our' agenda, watching our team. Because no one cares about us except us.

12. Classic

Classic Member

right?

[​IMG]

13. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

I understand your frustration, as I don't have comcast either, but what do you expect Clutch to do? He doesn't have a say in the negotiations...

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Trying to put Clutch in the hot seat? Are you kidding me? Talk about grasping for straws...

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I'm about to go get Comcast right now I recently moved and where my apartment is located I cannot receive signal so dish network had to let me out of my contract and now I'm getting Comcast so now I will get to see my rockets every single game

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I've already indicated what I feel the site should do and provided suggestions.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You're not even making sense. Of course the extra coverage draws lower ratings than the games. That's common sense and an apples and oranges comparison. It's the non-game, extra coverage on CSN compared against whatever the non-game stuff was on Fox Sports Southwest or previous RSNs.

CSN is refusing to consider a "tiered" model because there is basically no precedent for a RSN not being available on the primary cable tier in the home market of a professional sports team. It's basically unheard of and preposterous to suggest. Meanwhile, there is plenty of precedent for RSNs and providers sitting down at a table and figuring out a price for which the RSN goes on the basic tier.

The providers are refusing to negotiate a standard business deal with tons of precedent. CSN is unwilling to consider a option that no other professional team in the entire United States has had to do, to my knowledge. It's pretty clear which is more worthy of negotiation.

18. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

I was under the impression that Clutch has at one point or another expressed our opinions. I'm all about doing the individual acts you have suggested, and this forum is a great way in organizing our efforts. However, what is clutchfans really to the likes of Comcast and network providers? Just my opinion..

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If Clutch refused to ever go on the channel again they would have to give in to our demands. Instead, since he went on the channel that one time, he has confirmed that he hates everyone here and that he laughs at those who cannot watch the games.

This is what I have gathered by reading a few of the recent posts in this thread.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Double post

#2840 mikol13, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013