1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why do people buy ipad's over laptops???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aggie87, Dec 25, 2012.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Can you watch the First Row streams on the latest ipad?

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Skyfire may let you, not sure if it still does. It also a paid app though.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It depends on your definition of what a "tablet" is, but Microsoft's Tablet PC computing platform was around and being used by doctors offices and businesses years before iPads. Nokia had internet tablets years before the iPad. I think the iPhone was a breakthrough product, but the iPad was basically an iPhone without the phone and with a bigger screen. By the time the iPad had come out, the "gotta have my Apple product" craze had kicked in thanks to the iPod and iPhone. There isn't a ton of "breakthrough" in the iPad once the iPhone had been released.

The iPhone was a breakthrough product.
    Take the phone out and leave the size the same - iPod Touch
    Take the phone out and make the screen bigger - iPad

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i use it on flights

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Exactly this. I got my first ipad a few weeks ago. I never intended it to replace my laptop. I'm shocked at the speed and the battery life.

6. dback816

dback816 Member

I use my oldass ipad 1 for reading mostly. Books, news, forums occasionally.

I do not under any circumstance try to use it for any kinds of productivity.

7. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

The app ecosystem is still significantly more developed for iOS than Android. I think this will change in about 2 years. Post-Steve Jobs Apple just isn't the same anymore.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Anyone that thinks it's only usefulness is to someone who doesn't know any better is just way too smart and cool. :rolleyes: I suppose it's just beneath someone of that sort to think that it might be useful to other different people for reasons they might not have experienced, or of which they might not be aware.

I will say, I had my doubts about how much use mine would get before I got it, but since then it has become invaluable.

That said, it is not a laptop replacement for the most part.

I watch NFL network games and ESPN games on mine no problem, and also have NBA league pass for basketball, so I guess the answer is "it depends where you get your streams."

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

For a lot of every day computer usage, the tablet form factor and advantages are a better fit than a laptop. Media consumption, web browsing and reading are a large chunk of what many people do on a computer.

This is partically incorrect in that the software running on both devices (on iOS at least) is actually tailored to the specific form factor.

Also, the iPad was very much a breakthrough as the use cases you are talking about were *very* specific and very very far away from mainstream or everyday use. There was no market for tablets outside of certain enterprise environments. Now they are in even more business environments, more educational institutions and a part of every day home use. That's a considerable change.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Why even pretend to be objective toward Apple, not much shame in being an MS homer :eek:

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

iPads = "Gameboys"/ handheld media devices for adults and women, basically. Thats alright though, its a need area for us all.

Generally thats the predominantly more NOTICEABLE users I see getting new Apple products, the NON-techy types. And then its the tech users the ones speaking up for the devices on everyone's behalf. Though it probably means its reaching a wide audience for good reasons.

I remember way back in the WEB-TV days reading how they're creating more "tablet" style computing, cuz thats where "things would be going" into the new millennium! And I'm bare minimum knowledgeable of technology only as much as I need to know. The tech has finally caught up to make them viable.

I don't have any Apple products. Though it seems sensible to have a main product, and then have branched out products in proximity to that. There's some "familiarity" to it.

Though what you're saying there isnt about the usage part, but of marketing and OVER-INFLATING the product's significance.

I'll go Apple one day, but I'm used to operating 2-3 tech cycles behind and don't yet have the lifestyle that REQUIRES a need to catch up or Apple's presence.

(I just got rid of my "dumbphone" for an updated with the times Android phone running on 4G. I like the specs on it, can do a lot in it but I got it mostly cuz it has a decent camera with flash and zoom that I didnt have before. Just to show how simplistic people's REAL uses can be for devices)

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Do you own each of them? I do, and much prefer the Surface. Granted, I have an iPad 2 and I know there are hardware improvements with the newer revisions. However, my main issue is with iOS, which has an interface that I feel is incredibly dated and in desperate need of a makeover.

1 person likes this.
  13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I just shot a show on location in Branson MO and used an ipad as a teleprompter. If I had to use a laptop, I would've had to use a real portable teleprompter and we would not have been able to move and setup different locations in the amount of time we had. We shot 6 standups in 4 different locations during the course of a 1 hour parade. This would not have been possible with a laptop-teleprompter setup.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you think that is all the iPad is used for?

15. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

Laptops will die no? My next comouter will be a stationary one while on the road I'll use a tablet.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think most have both.

I personally like a desktop for some work because I like the keyboard, larger screen and and it's pretty stable workhorse.

I have multiple laptops but I rarely use them since getting an ipad.

I use the ipad a lot because most of the time I'm just browsing in front of the tv or "the library". I will take it on trips and to the relatives because I can take pics, shoot videos, show pics, show videos, easy blow up the view, surf, play music on the way and it's easy to transport. I know you can do that via other means but it's a pretty good all-in-one for that.

Bottom line for me is I use the Ipad the most, desktop 2nd and the laptops all just gather dust now.

17. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Works well while rounding on patients

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

according the previous posts. and as a teleprompter. im sure obama has one. some people are taking this way to seroiusly, if i had the disposable income i would probably have one. when the hp touchpad came out in the firesale, i wanted to get one for my son but couldn't so im not anti apple or anti tablet in general. i just think its a marketing success more than anything

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Honestly when they first came out - I was Very shortsighted. I thought they would fail miserably because I thought they were just a big Iphone that could not make phone calls. But soon after, I began seeing them being used in business settings where laptops were not very practical. Its too difficult to walk around a warehouse assessing things and taking notes with a laptop..but easy with an Ipad. I saw managers for performers on our soundstage walking around using them for notes, sending us information on the fly, etc. We would ask them for something specific and they'd send it to us right away while watching the musicians perform. At stores, you can count inventory easier with an App on an Ipad than a laptop.
    Because they are more portable than laptops, you can work as you walk - thats the great thing about them.

That being said - I'm with you on the disposable income thing. I'd love to have one..but I'm not going to spend the cash on one when I don't really need one. In agreement with you - All we would use it for at home would be games and media. Thats a want, not a necessity and I'll be buying a laptop for my next home computer.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Mine is an adequate replacement for a laptop. I can use RDP to access my work computer from wherever I am. I can use VNC to access my home computer from wherever I am, along with using it for innocuous tasks like surfing the Internet or watching videos or playing games or listening to music or keeping grandkids occupied or taking pictures or taking videos or scanning, signing and sending important documents or using as a voice recorder to take notes in meetings or using it to download and edit important PDF documents or using it as a presentation tool or editing videos or composing music or dozens of other tasks.

I agree, to each his own, but to simply classify it as a device to surf the Internet or watch videos is grossly underestimating all that it (and other non-Apple tablets) can do.