1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Lin's breakout game mean going forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Allegro

Allegro Member

It seems to be obvious to everyone but you.

There is only one basketball on the court, right? So Morey has to choose who gets the ball, and he chose Harden.

2. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

still skeptics... just a one game...

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Wow. Calm down. Yes, Douglas was playing PG tonight, but that doesn't mean that Lin doesn't have the offense run through him much like the offense runs through Kobe in LA, Drexler in Portland, and the Bulls offense ran through Jordan in Chicago. Lin is not a traditional PG in the sense that he is at his best when he's looking to get his own shot, and getting to his spots offensively.

I think he can run the point in a traditional manner, but as you saw tonight, the guy is capable of being a major scoring option if you use him in that manner.

Yes, I have played basketball my entire life. 25 of my 30 years I have been involved in leagues at many different levels FYI.

Chill dude. Im complementing Lin. His shooting opens up his game driving to the lane. That's ALL I was trying to say. Defensive, defensive. Holy Crap. Pull your fangs out.

4. liunatic

liunatic Member

We are actually getting burned by SGs...not so much their PGs...also, it's really hard to assess just by numbers. Good pick and roll teams are what kill the Rockets right now because we don't defend the pick and roll well at all. Jeremy isn't the only one suspect at this. He is getting killed in the pick and roll, but our rotations have not been good. Our defense continuously gets broken down by this.

5. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

If you're defending your position by citing a couple of good defensive plays that he made, then my assumption wasn't far off. I watched him make a few good hustle plays, but mostly watched him get repeatedly left in the dust. There is a reason that Kelvin Sampson was benching Lin in favor of Toney Douglas.

I'm astounded that anyone could watch Jeremy Lin play and come to the conclusion that he's a good defender.

Also, in response to the argument that "no one can stop Tony Parker one on one," I wouldn't disagree. But a good defender can at least make him work for it. Lin did not make him work.

6. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Were you watching this game??

7. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

Morey, get Tony Delk done.

8. joepu

joepu Member

Didn't you defend Tmac to the death?

9. gwatson86

Yes I was, and I watched Lin make a handful of good defensive plays, but mostly saw Tony Parker get anything he wanted, and easily.

10. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Game is a fluke. Lin hasn't been scouted, plus he played a weak team in the Spurs. The D-League suits him better.

PS I miss Dragic and Lowry.

11. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

So I guess Parker is horrible because Lin put 38 on him?

PSST. Douglas guarded Parker about 80% of the time.

12. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Sorry about that. This season has been long and exhausting with so many should win games. This whole Harden and Lin thing really stop the team from being a great one. I know everyone is young. But Rockets should win more games IMO. And Lin and Harden experiment will dictate how this will go. Sorry for being defensive once again. :cool:

13. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

What was most impressive to me about this game was that Jeremy only had 2 TOs. It was Linsanity without the 8 mandatory turnovers. Not even Harden has done this this season, against the Spurs no less.

14. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Alright, so I did a little research, only 11 times (5 players) since 1985 have had at least 38pts, 7ass, 2 steals, 2 blocks, with 2 or less turnovers, while shooting 50% or higher...the players: Jordan, Wade, Tmac, James, and Drexler. Not bad company.

15. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

On, there's was one more, David Robinson

16. whitedog324

whitedog324 Member

It means either he needs to find a new team or the rockets needs to find them a new coach.

17. gwatson86

You're just being willfully ignorant if you want to continue this argument after Lin has been benched in the 4th quarter of close games because he's a bad defender.

“You have to go with your instincts,” Sampson said. “You’re not always right with that stuff. But I felt like Toney gave us our best chance to win. Yeah, a much better matchup with Nate.”

- Kelvin Sampson

“Yeah, I think that’s for reasons of defense,” Lin said. “I’m not really sure. Ask Coach. But I think it’s a defensive thing. I didn’t do a very good job of making Nate Robinson uncomfortable. I’ve got to do a better job.”

- Jeremy Lin

18. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

What did Lin do wrong on defense? He was all over the court defending multiple positions and covering for teammates.

19. whitedog324

whitedog324 Member

This is the mental hospital, don't ever forget to take your medicine.

20. rokit

rokit Member

yeah he was hitting those shots, but if my memory serves me right he looked the best when TD went to the bench in the 3rd quarter