1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Lin's breakout game mean going forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Was that my point? I said one explosive offensive game doesn't mean anything in a long season (and pointed out Delk's example). Are you Lin fans that sensitive?

It's the same case as pointing out a few bad games in a long season to kill a superstar. The season has 82 games. All types of games happen throughout the season.

The greatest players consistently have great games. And so on.

1 person likes this.
  2. Arthurprescott2

One game - I'm not going to draw massive new conclusions from this. I did enjoy the ride though. :grin:

3. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

No one is saying that it is. But it's stupid to say, "look what he did in one game without Harden! We've got to change everything!"

It's been obvious for a long time that McHale needed to change his gameplan to get Lin involved more. This game hasn't changed anything other than reiterating the fact that Lin can be a dynamic offensive player and an atrocious defensive player.

4. Arthurprescott2

WTF??? Dude was being very reasonable and then he throws that in at the end.

5. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Why speculate? This sounds idiotic. With your logic Morey would also look bad for signing someone he's trying to play down.

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

Guess we will never win games then.
    You know you're in trouble when your starting backcourt are atrocious defensive players.

Add Ppat to that, and Parson's declining perimeter defense and you have a case of no defense.

7. gwatson86

How is that unreasonable? Lin is a very bad defender who has been regularly torched by opposing point guards this year. He's not the sole reason our defense is so bad, but he's been a very big part.

8. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Did you watch the game? Really? At this point of time, you are still trying to self explain Lin's struggle before this game?

Really? Douglas was the primary ball controlling guard? You make me laugh. So when Lin was in NY, Douglas was the primary ball handling guard too? You got to be joking. Self explanation of Lin's struggled games before this one doesn't tell the truth. And it was really his 3 pt shooting? You know Basketball?

9. Postcall

Postcall Member

Lin is a good defensive player where are you getting this from please cite stats.

10. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Man it's one game. He'll be back to normal when Harden returns.

11. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Exactly ;)

12. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

You did see Parker got what he wanted all night long? Or do you keep track of games via boxscores?

13. gwatson86

That was a quote of someone who is basing his opinion of Lin's defense on his steals numbers, not someone who has seen opposing point guards go right around Lin all season.

14. Arthurprescott2

I was watching. But Parker being able to beat him 1-on-1 doesn't mean much about his defense. No one can really defend Parker. Parson, Douglas, and Lin got burned by him multiple times tonight. And Lin did the same to Parker. But in those instances, help defense needs to come in. I don't think any point guard in the league can guard Parker, maybe Westbrook, but that's it. So no, I don't think that's evidence that Lin is an "atrocious" defender. Did you see him force a jump ball on a Parker drive? Lin stayed in front and stopped him cleanly. Maybe you should watch a bit closer.

15. adamzee

adamzee Member

nobody stops parker 1on1. not even westbrook, who was lit up for 30+ by parker a few times before. lin did a decent job tonight.

houston team D is terrible, so of course parker is going to find holes.

16. casa

casa New Member

If that is the case, Rocket should let Lin go, it does not make sense to spend $8m and kill Lin's talent just to let Lin do that kind of thing. Same to your example, Kobe should never play with Jordan, that would have killed his talent and we would have lost a superstar.

17. Allegro

Allegro Member

The coaches work for Morey; he can fire them any time he pleases. So yes, he does have that much power.

18. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

But that is not how things work IMO

19. Arthurprescott2

But hey, make random assumptions about my position all you want.

20. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

one can only hope. But few things has to happen and that is the mind set. Lin needs to stop deferring to Harden with any chance he gets and Harden needs to let Lin handle the ball and play off the ball. And this has to come from the coach.

But listening to McHale in the post game conference he looks like he has absolutely no idea how to implement an offense that best utilizes each one's talent.

And will Mchale finally have the confidence to let Jeremy play his game or stubbornly stick to his nonworking game plan and think that today was yet another fluke in Jeremy's career... I am really pessimistic.