1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin best when he is primary scorer/ball handler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oelman44, Dec 10, 2012.

1. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Tell us something we already didnt know

2. zdrav

zdrav Member

Lin played well under Mike Woodson as well as a #2 or #3 option.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

IF that is the case, that's on him. No team that aspires to be a championship is going to cater to at best a 3rd/4th option on a team.

4. detso

detso Member

What Lin lacked were
    1) his jump shots
    2) enough play time for him to get into rhythm.

And he got both tonight.

5. kozmo

kozmo Member

he was a very good point guard under woodson, he wasnt great....he was great tonight....he can play like this all the time....

6. Mr. Space City

start doulgass and have lin be primary ball handler off the bench

j/k

7. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

You can. You just won't be very successful.

8. trock

trock Member

Chemistry is about trust and finding rhythm; it takes some time. Lin needs to just stop overthinking everything and just play. He's got all the tools to be an excellent complement to Harden. So far, up until this game, he's been way to conscious about limiting his TOs and making sure his teammates are happy. With both their playmaking abilities, once Lin's jumper is fully back, they can be a brutal one-two punch.

9. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

I didnt even watch the game...

had a feeling Lin would pull off this type of game vs a team with one of the best records in the league...

thats because I know the Rox are trying to fashion Harden into a PG and Lin into a SG...

dont get me wrong I have no problem with Harden taking as many shots as he wants...

its just Lin sucks as a SG

and an unaggressive Lin is just a liability... I dont want to watch

10. kozmo

kozmo Member

maybe harden can compliment lin :)

11. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I told you guys all year long that this is the coach's fault! They didn't allow Lin to do what he does best...which is attack the basket. A majority of the time he just hand the ball to Harden and stay in the corner and watch. This is the coach's fault...why?? Because they should have designed more plays and go to him as much as going to Harden. The problem is they go to Harden way too much...actually it seems like most of the play don't even involve Lin. So my point, they should attack through Lin 50% of the time and Harden 50% of the time....this will make the offense more lethal. All i see is 90% of the time Harden and 10% or 0% of the time Lin...that's what i been seeing. How is he going to produce if you don't run play through him?? Is it his fault...nope, coach's fault for not believing in him and coach's fault for going to Harden way too excessively.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is just a rotation and offensive set issue. The coaches will take the last SA game into consideration. This is a learning process for both the coaches and players. The rest of the team needs to learn to play well when the superstar is on the court. LA still has a problem with Kobe and their team's involvement.

13. kent335

kent335 Member

Problem is the coaching staff. Lin will play however the coaching staff wants him to play. Unfortunately that is camp in the corner. We've all seen in the past how Lin took over the game at certain times, and then the coaching staff would bench him.

14. thekad

thekad Member

Melo/Harden is a better player than Lin so it's on Lin to figure out a way to play second banana to the main option as every other #2 has done. It's even more imperative here since Harden brings a much higher level of playmaking than Melo who is best served playing power forward anyway.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Dude, what's with your incredible hate for Lin and the incessant need to call him not a 1st/2nd option? Do you even know how basketball works beyond T-Mac iso plays?

The Rockets main problem is that they don't have a finisher at center or forward. Someone like a Bosh is to Lebron, or Amare was to Lin. And if we find that player, then Lin's PnR will become much deadlier. What results in terms of stats is immaterial.

16. detso

detso Member

I totally agree that it's on Lin how to play well with Harden, who is the best player on our team, not the other way around.

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Exactly.

Harden can get his points more efficiently, if he's coming of a screen or cutting and the occasional Iso.

Letting Jeremy drive and kick to Harden when Harden's defender is cheating into the lane to stop the drive is much more efficient than Harden dribbling cross cross step back. Harden can make that shot, but let someone else get the attention so you have an easier time.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

THIS! A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!

19. trock

trock Member

Ha, maybe one day, but not this year or anytime soon. Lin has a lot to learn. Harden too, but he's a more mature player at this point. The other players look like they like Lin, but I don't see him as a leader at this point. Give him time to grown into it.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's probably also worth noting that Harden seemed to be the primary 4th quarter option for the Thunder in the conference playoff games. He was simply huge in those 3 series for them (not least vs the Spurs)