1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Nokia Lumia 920/820 Thread - Windows Phone 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amel, Sep 12, 2012.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

So anybody else have the HTC 8X or any other Windows phone?

Got the 8x a couple of weeks ago and am seriously considering going back to android. Love the hardware and sleekness of the operating system, but there are some serious issues with Win8.

1. Some of my google contacts have missing info when transferred to the phone.

2. For a couple of days I didn't get any incoming text messages

3. Embedded youtube videos on clutchfans can't be played!

grrrrr....

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

There is a fix for the youtube thing, google it... I've had no issues with texts/notifications with the Lumia so it might be an AT&T/Verizon issue...

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Love the 8x

the text message thing happened to me on day 1..and a friend. After that, all is fine.

No issues w/missing google contacts here. Not sure what's different w/yours.

Sounds like there's a fix for youtube thing

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Open ended question for former iPhone users, which one is easier to use?

I was debating with an iPhone user earlier today and he said iPhone. I just don't see how someone could say that the iPhone is easier. I don't get it...

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

As a former iPhone user, I still think that the iPhone is easier to use. I'm getting used to my Nokia 920 but you have to do so much more to accomplish the same thing with WP8. Multi tasking, IE (less than intuitive back and forward functionality, the way tabs work really sucks), no notification center, and the lack of apps are my biggest complaints so far.

It is a great looking phone and I am not going back to my iPhone but it needs work on being more intuitive.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

I agree on the IE side of things. I think a dedicated back and forward browser button is a must. I don't think the notification center is a must. Personally I don't look forward to it in apollo. I think it's too much of the old, the live tiles supplement the notifications.

I love how multitasking is done in WP8 as opposed to iOS. The fact that it autocloses programs versus holding the stupid button and X-ing out each individual app is so much more intuitive in my opinion. I just wish you could dedicate certain apps not to close no matter what. I hated multitasking in iOS, at least the non-jailbroken way.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The clock is on the lock screen. Hit the power button and bam, you have the time. The clock is always up in the top right hand corner of the home screen and app list as well. So not sure what you mean about it not being easily available.?

If you think this is the case, you clearly have no idea how to use Windows Phone. You might want to spend some time watching tutorial videos on YouTube, or could you clarify what is more difficult?

Also, multi-tasking? Hold down the back arrow.

I've gotten in to long debates with iPhone converts, and the only places where iPhone is superior is voice dictation and flat app count. Windows Phone is a different experience than iPhone and Android due to social integration. So you have to learn to use the phone differently. Once you do, you can do things much faster than on an iPhone or Android. See the "smoked by windows phone" videos on YouTube for details.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Exactly! Like try posting a tweet, a facebook status, and an image to facebook. Then do it on the iPhone. It's way faster on WP8. I love the lenses of WP8 too.

9. Svpernaut

Even going beyond updating my own social networks. How I communicate with friends and family is different thanks to groups and rooms. If I want to know what all of my family is up to, I click on my family group an see their latest tweets, Facebook, linked in or SMS updates all on one screen. Same with my friends and co-workers. I can mass message all of those groups via SMS or email all at once.

To do that on an iPhone or Android I'd have to open no fewer than three apps. I can do it on Windows Phone without opening a single app.

Also, pictures. The dedicated camera button and one click sharing, or even better the SkyDrive automatic uploading.

Searching for the nearest Starbucks or sports bar? I hold down Windows Button then say what I am looking for and local scout pulls them up by distance. Click the one I want and it automatically opens maps with turn by turn directions or Nokia Drive. I travel for work weekly, and can find a local Starbucks and get turn by turn directions in less than 10 seconds. You can't do that on an iPhone.

Office? Built in Facebook, MSN, AOL or Yahoo chat that goes inline with SMS? ... and the list goes on.

#109 Svpernaut, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

I have not done much with rooms yet. I love kids corner because that's what I use to show friends my phone. All in all you're right, this is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, I'm hoping people really start to see the magic in this OS.

11. Master Baiter

Pretty much any and all social networking has zero importance to me. I can see where WP8 would excel in that arena but because I do not use it, it doesn't do anything for me.

Multi tasking royally sucks. If I want to go back into an app, it starts from scratch. That isn't multitasking, that's shutting an app down unless you use the back arrow. Sometimes I have gotten out of an app and gone back to the home screen and I want to open ESPN again. When I open ESPN again, I don't want to start from the freaking beginning again.

Any time I have scrolled down and then open something, it doesn't remember where I had scrolled from when I go backwards. That is stupid. I don't want to have to re-scroll down to the same place again. Remember where I was please.

The clock is very small. HTC shows a clock tile app in pretty much every picture of their phones. I want a clock like that. From what I have read about developing live tiles, that is not, nor may never be, possible. The tiles update at a very slow interval (max 15 minutes is the recommendation). That seems ridiculous but whatever. I have not used an HTC phone so I have no first hand knowledge of the clock live tile that they advertise but from what I read, it is not a true clock.

The lack of a Citrix Receiver is a huge problem for me as well. I figure it will come but that is something very important to me. To date, the Citrix receiver on the Surface is a piece of garbage that is pretty much unusable. That isn't necessarily Microsoft's fault but it doesn't help me use the device the way that I want to use the device.

I use my phone/tablets for data accessibility and business connectivity. Having to make extra clicks and swipes slows me down. WP8 has a LOT of problems with hiding things (my opinion) and I find that very non-intuitive. I will continue to be patient as I understand that this is a very new platform and it will only mature. I want it to be successful but for now, I have quite a few things that feel it can improve upon.

12. Svpernaut

The big thing is getting people out of the app-centric mindset they've become accustomed to since 2007. Once people understand that Windows phone is personal and people-centric (yes, that's not just a cheesy marketing gimmick) they'll come to love them. Windows Phone isn't for everyone, but for people that communicate with people constantly, it is the clear choice.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have a Lumia 920 and like WP8 too, but you sound like an actor from a Windows commercial. ;)

14. Master Baiter

I guarantee you that Microsoft does not share your "app centric" view. They are pushing like mad crazy to have more apps developed and are pimping the app numbers as much as possible. Right now there are apps in the store but many of them are crap.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

You're multitasking wrong... You are launching a second instance of the app if you go back to the home screen and then run the app. To multitask hold the back button and then scroll to your app. When I do that it opens the ESPN app exactly where I was... Maybe something more is going on that I'm missing. As for IE, I completely agree it needs work. I agree that with both the surface and WP8 there are definite signs of where they left off, it's at least a step in the right direction.

16. Master Baiter

I shouldn't have to use the back button to go back into an app. That's silly.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

I agree and disagree with this. I think you're right, microsoft is pushing hard to get apps developed. They definitely want the feature apps to come over. I agree with that. By the same token, microsoft isn't just doing what apple does and leaning on its developers alone. They are innovating like crazy. Every update brings new and necessary features and updates are coming almost at a once every six months efficiency. It's much much more of a two pronged approach.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

No you press and hold the back button. It launches a screen where you can choose between all the apps running.

19. Master Baiter

I know what you are talking about. I shouldn't have to do that.

20. Svpernaut

That social integration is one of the biggest selling points and focus for development for the device. So you're basically driving a car with only three tires, you aren't getting the full experience. Even without the social networking stuff, communicating with people is much easier and faster.

Actually, this is up to the app developer. There are apps that run in the background, and most "tombstone" or enter in to a saved state by releasing CPU usage. The Facebook app is an example of a proper tomb-stoning app. Windows Phone 8 ads a ton of features to allow real background tasks, like the current Skype beta which allows the app to run in the background and receive Skype calls, so more improvements are coming. With that said, if an app closes when it goes to the background, blame the developer, not Microsoft.

The problem is, app developers generally suck. How many Android apps have you tried that slow your phone down to a crawl or crash? Microsoft, like Apple puts system stability first and foremost which is easily what most users want. I abandoned Android because of the horribly developed apps, and having to keep TasKiller installed.

If your favorite app doesn't run like you like it, reach out to the developer and tell them you want them to add the features or fix it. Welcome to the world of a free and open marketplace.

The phone does remember, are you talking about apps? As an example slide right to bring up the app list and then scroll down. Then slide back left to the home screen and back again, then slide right again and your app list will be where it left off. Apps again are a different story. If they tombstone correctly they'll remember, if they don't that is the developer's fault and/or intention.

Live tiles updating uses bandwidth, CPU and memory. A clock live tile that updated every second would kill battery life. There are two easy ways to view the time, so not sure why this is a big deal.

I'd reach out to Citrix directly, especially if your company has a large licensing agreement with them. The only way they'll dump resources into a proper app is if people pressure them to do so.