1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeremy Lin after playing just 18 minutes vs. Mavericks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 8, 2012.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He also took a gamble on Lin and Asik.

So he wants to see them succeed as well.

2. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

OKC is now thought to be better than last year. I wonder what the main difference is for them, last year to this year.

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I think that Harden should be told to share some offensive responsibility with Lin so that Harden could have more energy on defense, because Harden's defense has been quite poor, and Lin's too good at attacking the rim and playmaking to be wasted as a role player on offense.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Really? The Thunder are making it to the Finals again and maybe winning the championship?

When they do that, then you can say they are better.

The playoffs does a good job at exposing players weaknesses. If people think Martin is going to shred the Heat defense then I feel sorry for them.

Ibaka and Durant growing as players have a lot to do with their improvement any ways.

5. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Jay, since your last name is Google, please try this exercise. Go to the site that is named after your last name, and type in "Thunder better without Harden" -- you will get article after article taking this position from the ESPN, CBS Sports, NY Times, and that's just the first page.

They're not just talking about their 15-4 record. They have analyzed offensive efficiency, shooting/3pt shooting, shot distribution, etc.

Dude, the thing about championships is that it depends on many factors, inclduding how the other team plays. You can't judge teams on that ALONE.

The Thunder are so far better this year than last year. And you still haven't told me what you think the main difference is from last year to this year.

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kevin Martin? Getting their asses handed to them in the finals?

7. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

I really think the management brought Lin for their marketing efforts in China and forced him on the Rockets coaching staff who never wanted him in the first place. This is not dissimilar to the situation in NY with tebow and the Jets. Of course Jeremy is a legit pg whereas tebow is not a good qb, but their respective situations are very close in that neither coaches believe in their ability and utilize them where there are in position to fail.
    Les and Morey need to set their agenda straight with the McHale and fire him whether he had the recent personal tragedy or not.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Did you read any of those articles btw? Most are from bleacherreport and forums and the articles on the first page are from October. We really going to decide if a team is better by one full month of NBA basketball? Okay.

So far better? You're exaggerating. They have been marginally better and only the stats say so. These stats will be thrown out the window when playoffs roll around because being 2 points better per 100 possessions won't mean anything then.

I actually just told you why they are playing better. Ibaka is averaging 14ppg (5 or so points better than last year) and is shooting nearly 60%. He's worked on his game and it is showing.

Meanwhile Durant is now focused on being a better all around player and is showing that he's capable of doing that.

Let me ask you this? What is the reason?

Let me guess? Harden was holding the Thunder back right? The guy who was a big reason they made it to the Finals was holding them back right? So now he's also holding Lin back right?

9. lfw

lfw Rookie

Don't get me wrong. I didn't agree with Lin's benching.

10. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Thanks for all of the videos, Clutch. Much appreciated, as always.

11. David Stern

David Stern Member

Lin sucks. Nothing to see here

12. Exel

Exel Member

I think he was pointing out Why Lin was riding the pine for so long. You can't pin the blame on Lin when he went out at 5:54 min mark in the 1st quarter with Houston down 19-7. Lin scored 4 of those 7 points for Houston. Dallas was on fire, hitting 66% of their shots while Houston was bricking everything, hitting only 25% of our shots, with 3 TO's, while Lin was on the floor during the time. At the end of the first, Dallas led by 15.

In the second, Harden caught fire and Parsons started to hit his shot. Dallas came back to Earth and it seemed like McHale forgot about Lin and Pattersons (he only played 2 seconds in the second quarter).

Lin played well in the 3rd quarter as well and was forgotten about in the 4th quarter. There wasn't really any good reason why Lin should have sat out 2 whole quarters. It's not like Douglas or Delfino were playing lights out.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I looked it up.

The only article that states Thunder are better without Harden is from bleacherreport.

The only ESPN article I found was "OKC still rolling without James Harden".

With this quote.

Honestly, unless the person has never watched a basketball game in their lives, there is no way in hell they will say Thunder is better without Harden. The Thunder compensated for the regular season, that part everyone knows they could do. The impact of losing James Harden will be evident in the playoffs, and Harden has been terrific last season during the playoffs until the finals.

Saying Thunder is "better without Harden" is saying they wouldn't take him back if they had the chance. I highly doubt that.

14. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

I haven't mentioned Lin (at all). "so far" in my post above was meant as a marker in time, as in "thus far this season" -- not meant as "much better".

I'm glad that you actually checked out the stats. Yes, they are scoring slightly more per 100 possessions, and shooting a better percentage. As you know, as this is a team game, those stats are linked to your teammates in how they can help set up easier shots, draw the defense away, etc. Those are not stats that exist in a vacuum.

But one thing that you'll notice when OKC players are asked directly or indirectly, is that they don't think they're even a slight amount worse than last year. It's the opposite, actually.

15. thekad

thekad Member

Their starters are playing much better than they did last year. OKC Starting Lineup ORTG:

2011-12: 103.0
    2012-13: 107.2

BTW, Durant is scoring 30 points on 70%TS over his past 12 games.

Their bench is worse, though, as you'd expect by replacing Harden with KMart.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's no mystery as to why though. McHale has odd rotations. As we see he makes one sub in the 4th qtr it's a knock on McHale. I said I think he went with one lineup waaaay too long.

But it's not some conspiracy that the coaches are out to get Lin. It's just poor rotations.

17. Allegro

Allegro Member

Did <u>you</u> watch the game. We were down only 12 when Lin got benched in the 1st quarter. We were down that much mostly because Kaman was abusing Asik (K. had about 8 points by then, which was most of the deficit). How was that Lin's fault?

18. Allegro

Allegro Member

Yes, $15 million for 3 years is as much of a gamble as $80 for 5 years. No one is better than you at math.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Your posts are implying that OKC is better this year because they got rid of Harden. Just say it.

No, but these stats are not going to mean much because Harden does more things than Martin. Do you think the Heat are going to put as much pressure on Martin as they did Harden? They won't have to. in fact all they will have to do is set a man on Martin and a guy like Allen is good enough to offset anything Martin can do when healthy...or Chalmers.

Most people that watched the finals last year blamed Harden for losing it because they know how good he is. They know if he played better for the finals then OKC wins. This is why he got so much heat for his play during the finals because his expectations were of that as the 3rd best player and star player on that team. Just like how Bosh or Wade gets the same heat if they do not show up to play.

Martin is not going to replace what Harden does, he's a good shooter that has to be respected but he's not someone they are going to gameplan against. If anything they will go at him once they realize that his defense is terrible.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So did the lineup that McHale went with get the lead or not?

I did not blame Lin, I said McHale stuck with what lineup that was working.