1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeremy Lin after playing just 18 minutes vs. Mavericks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 8, 2012.

1. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Interesting post. Never thought of it this way. But subbing the bench did win that Lakers game. Maybe someone should look at the win/loss vs subsitution patterns.

2. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

The fact is if Jemery Lin can improve his jump shot to some semi-decent percent, like around .370 3pts and .450 overall, he would be an above average starting PG. The coach will put ball in his hands more and there will be a lot less Harden 1 on 5 offense.

A PG who can't shoot is a very big liablity on offense. Other teams just dare him to shoot now and cut down driving lane, so he is having a hard time to penetrate and has to give up the ball to Harden.

I predict this season will be a very painful learning experience for him. I hope he learns the lesson, fires his shooting coach and just practise the J to death during the off season.

3. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Have you ever made a post where you are not attacking another poster or coming across as a douche?

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yes.

Have you ever discovered why medication is used in treating anxiety?

5. Grigori

Grigori Member

One does not audition for other teams by playing Tney Uglas 35 min while he plays switch on the perimeter defense then leave everybody he switches to wild open, or assign Carlos Delfino to guard opposing PFs. Those are more like things you do when you simply don't give a damn.

Once again, such are the things you do when you simply don't give a damn.

6. Jedster

Jedster Member

I don't know man. He was 2 of 3, or 66% last night from the 3. He still got benched.

7. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Hmmm, interesting. I don't care if the coaches bench any players in order to win games. But this game is just odd. Oh, well, just hope the Spurs game Monday will not be a blown-off again.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't have to explain it. He got put on the bench 20 games into the season. For one game. We're not even sure if that'll be the norm yet.

And if the coaching staff is failing, why are we hovering around .500 with the youngest team in the league?

And Parsons played 42 minutes because he's been consistently good. He's been a good defender. He's been knocking down his shots (with the exceptions of the last couple games since the shoulder injury). In short, he's not just living up to his contract - he's exceeding his contract by far.

9. lfw

lfw Rookie

For the past few games, it looks like they are letting Lin try and run the offense at the beginning of games. Opposing teams are packing the paint to take away drives from Harden and Lin and daring the Rockets to shoot from the outside. If the Rockets have trouble scoring, the coaches adjust by bringing in their 3 point shooters like Delfino and Douglas to try and loosen up the interior D to give room for Harden to operate.

A lot of this is because of how opposing teams are playing defense on the pick and roll. Earlier in the season, teams were trapping to get the ball out of Harden and Lin's hands to prevent them from creating plays on offense. Houston adjusted by having Asik slip the pick and position himself by the free throw line to receive the pass out of the trap where Asik can take one dribble and drive to hole for a dunk or have the defense collapse on him and he can dump the ball to a wide open Patterson cutting to the basket.

Now opposing teams are using the defending big man to position himself by the free throw line on the pick and roll, just waiting for Harden or Lin to drive to the bucket. I think the increase playing time for Delfino and Douglas is a byproduct of how teams are playing us and the bad outside shooting to start games by the starters.

10. liljojo

liljojo Member

The coaches just don't trust their players, period. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Why is Asik not out there in the 4th? What did Jones and Morris do to warrant a DNP? Has Greg Smith not earned more than 2 minutes of playing time after his amazing play so far this season? Why is Cole "A-foul-a-minute" Aldrich part of the rotation? Why do we keep sending players to and from the D-League?

Why would you ever bench a young starter during a game in which he's playing pretty well? Lin was hitting shots and getting his teammates good looks. Sure Mayo was going off, but it's not like Douglas was doing any better.

I'm not a LOF or LOH, but this decision was horrible. Lin's main issue is his passiveness and confidence. You think benching him like this is going to help with that? Against our cross-state rivals in front of our home crowd? Or do you really think Douglas is the PG of the future? That we really need to work on his chemistry with the starters?

This is not the way to develop a young roster. I'm okay with growing pains losses. This loss was inexcusable. The coaching staff has no idea what they're doing.

1 person likes this.
  11. OpportunityCost

They have him deferring to Harden and it doesn't play to his strengths, he's not a camp behind the three point line type of player. He needs to have a pick-and-roll set at or in front of the free-throw line and be allowed to let his play-making ablilities take over from there. I think the bigger problem though is our clueless coaching. Unfortunately we may be doomed because I recall hearing Morey say on one of the sports radio talk shows that he doesn't like to make coaching changes in the middle of the year. He also mentioned (sort of proudly) that the Rockets haven't much coaching turnover. I really hope Les will step in on this one though and demand a change.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You're right. Lin while he was on the floor only gave up seven points out of Mayo's forty total.

13. Grigori

Grigori Member

Because our young team is talented enough to hover around .500 despite the coach failure. Well, I knew we were going to be in trouble with coaching when McHale repeated make the youth excuse in pre-season. I just didn't know how much trouble at the time. This is obviously not a coach happy with the players he's been given, but as long as he can keep from lashing out with sarcastic decisions I am fine with him.

It's looking like he can't though, so...give him a few more games to fall back in line, then fire him if he doesn't. I hate do go with a mid-season coaching change, but it's like amnestying Scola, when you have to do it, you have to do it. Obviously you can't reprimand or talk any sense into this guy. With his stubborn personality it will just lead to even worse sarcastic decision making.

14. OpportunityCost

Wonderfully said and spot on!

15. Luca

Luca Member

Very well said.

16. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

With Harden doing most of the playmaking, Lin has to be Linsanity aggressive. When he gets the pass after a Harden setup it seems that he is looking to then setup another teammate. If he was to become more of a scoring option with Harden playmaking, I think his confidence would come back. There is a hesitation in his game right now that is killing him!

17. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Agreed.

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I doubt that. We are a young team with a high ceiling, but our team is not nearly as talented as bottom feeder teams like the Kings.

The coaches are obviously doing something right, even if they were wrong last game.

19. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

I think his nice guy attitude is really hurting his stature in this team. The coaches seem to not care about how they use him because he will "support" them no matter what. He clearly looks deflated and while he may not admit it, it must kill him seeing that the Knicks are doing so well without him - that people are saying that it was a good decision for the Knicks to let him go. I think he knows he can play so much better if he was in a system like Dantonis .. Perhaps it is the time for him to stop being so accepting and accommodating. This nice guy team first attitude can only get u so far in this league.

20. linbandwagon

linbandwagon Member

I think there might be some tension between Morey and Mchale. Mchale is a really old school guy. He stated multiple times that he doesn't put too much into analytics. From some of his statements at the beginning of the season, it sounded like he really didn't like the roster he was handed. Benching Asik and Lin, the two big signings this off season, was probably his way of saying eff you to Morey.

Just my two cents.