1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it just me? I see Jeremy Lin making progress here.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Wolf, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Nothing to contribute, just wanted to type 'Almoooooooo'

2. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Lin is making progress. 8 games is like a split second for a player's career.

3. slickster

slickster Member

EVERY player has a dominant hand.

4. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Yeah. On the one hand Sampson talks about encouraging Lin (to shoot, not playmake), but wants to tell us in the same interview that Lin needs to improve his left hand before he can be involved in the offense. So if picks and screens aren't being set for Lin... it's not the coaches' fault, it's Lin's. Nice eh?

Which is BS ofc. I love the double standard though. Harden has turned the ball over twice that of Lin, he's also going left primarily and he is non-existent on defense. I still like Harden though.

5. loveofthegame44

Im on record of wanting Lin to run PG and more pnr but watch the Denver game against Ty Lawson I was getting embarrassed for him. Harden is turning the ball over because they are double teaming him on pnr and shadding a third defender and is still tring to go to the hoop. Its game eight they will get it worked out.

6. sidestep

sidestep Member

The screeners Patterson and Asik aren't setting good picks, so I don't draw any conclusions on how PnR is gonna look once they work it out, perhaps by using Morris/Smith/Jones as screeners. Patterson has been ineffectual at setting picks, and Asik is still figuring it out. And since those two aren't offensive threats, the PnRs have often been invitations to double-team the ball-handler.

Asik has committed a lot of turnovers for moving screen violations, game after game. The problem hasn't gone away, even though I think Asik is a quick learner. From what I saw in the Magic game, I think the solution right now to the moving screen problem is to pass the ball to Asik at the top, who, while stationary, hands the ball off to Harden, who uses Asik as a screen and turns the corner toward the middle. This worked really well for Harden to get into the paint in the last game. They did this many times.

7. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Why do you think Lin was turning the ball over in NY? Because he was getting double teamed and trapped constantly and all the defensive pressure was on him.

Turn overs are simply a function of being the primary ball handler. Which is why I don't hold them against harden. The problem is when people blast Lin for the same thing it shows a huge double standard and the kind of prejudice that has dogged Lin his entire career.

8. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

As a Phoenix resident, I've seen Nash play lots of times....... He was NEVER a good defender. I'll go as far as to say his defense was the sole reason why he has never won a championship. He has always had good defenders around him (notably Shawn Marion, Grant Hill, Boris Diaw, and now Dwight Howard), but often, he doesn't even try to play defense. He avoids fouls, but too often gets his bigs into foul trouble as a result.

To give you an idea, Lin had six steals in the Denver game, and three blocked shots in the Miami game........ Steve Nash never had a six steal game or a three block game in his entire career!!

Heck, Nash had only one five steal game in his entire career.....

Lin might be awful right now at the offensive end of the court, but a bad game for Lin defensively is still better than a good game for Nash defensively. Even in his prime. (Nash averaged only 1.0 steal per game in his three best seasons in this particular stat.)

Next...........

1 person likes this.
  9. slickster

slickster Member

The key difference is that D'Antoni's system allowed Lin to incorporate everyone in the offense, making role players look like all stars.

In houston, sampson's "system" forces Harden to shoulder the burden all alone, leaving the other 4 players standing around twiddling their thumbs.

Which system is better?

10. slickster

slickster Member

Great post. I've never been a big nash fan, largely because I considered him to be a one way player.

Nash has never had the size, strength, or toughness to be a great defender, but quite frankly, nash never gave the effort in the first place, regardless of his physical limitations.

11. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

He's only 24 years old. His defense alone would be worth the contract.

12. slickster

slickster Member

it's more fun to apply a racial double standard, though.

Asik's great defense = he's worth his contract.

Lin's great defense = he can't go left.

Welcome to racism 101. :grin:

13. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

LOLOLOL....:grin::grin::grin:

14. kinein

kinein Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vWMG8xiXIYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. loveofthegame44

I didnt watch lin in NY because I'm a rockets fan and only watched the hilights when we reaquired him. BC I was a doubter but then after watch hilights I was excited but I didnt get to see the plays like against Denver when lin is faced up with Lawson and he just gets it taken from him or him fumble for the ball and it goes off his knee.
    Again I like lin and I want to see him be a playmaker but watch the games his handles are shaky I dont want him bringing the ball up the court with cp3 type player pressuring him you can't trust him that is different than his cross over which Is good and decision making.

There is no agenda against him or racial bias just bad coaching.

16. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

“My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.”

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

[​IMG]

your right take it from Johnny in the classic karate kid he is a witness to the above statement..

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

Other than Douglas and Delfino, there is not a single player on the roster that is a finished product.

Harden - Needs to trust his teammates at crucial points in the game rather than becoming a ball stopper. Currently non-existent mid-range game.

Asik - Dunking and picks.....that's the extent of his offensive skills. Needs to add a go-to move in the post.

Patterson - Developing post play and if he's going to continue to shoot those 3s, he needs to hit a few.

Morris - Improving, but needs more time on the floor.

Lin - Catch and shoot.

Parsons - Streaky, but probably the fathest along of any player on our team to reaching his potential. Battier 2.0.

Smith - Needs more time on the floor.

DMo, Jones, White, and Machado are all self explanatory.

What's funny is what they each do well, they do VERY well. At this point, its just about rounding out their games. Don't be fooled...this team will be something special in a few years.

20. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

Where can I find this interview?