1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Akim523

Akim523 Member

But he's exposing it on twitter and using it in a way to prove that he's severely mentally disabled in order to gain sympathy from fans.

I mean come on Royce, if your mental issue was that bad and that complex, why would you keep going to(by email) a doctor who isnt even qualified for mental treatment? Wouldnt a properly trained mental health professional be more of help in this case?

Things just don't add up.

Royce has lost all his credibility and he's going no where with his self centered mindset.

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

His first real problem is his extreme narcissism, egomania and manipulative tendencies combined with people codling and enabling him his whole life.

His second problem is throwing away his future so he can keeps it real on twitter yo.

Third problem is he's setting back people with real mental diseases decades.

I'm going to need a sincere "manned up" apology, weekly appointments with "real" mental health professionals. One more time - REAL MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS - not whoever will tell you what you want to hear while you go all confirmation bias on us.

3 people like this.
  3. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

I apologize in advance if I bring up issues that were stated before. There is no way I was going to read all 54 pages. As someone who works in the mental health field and has family members who are mentally ill, I'm getting fed up with White's excuses. Mental illness is not an excuse, it is merely a speed bump in life. Whether or not the Rockets met his demands is a mute point. Any accommodations they make are above and beyond the call of duty. His excuses have seemed fishy from the get go. At some point motivation has to be questioned as well as maturity.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

serious question about personality disorders- narcissistic, histrionic, or borderline personalty, specifically

at what point in therapy does a doctor tell his or her patient:

"look- you are a self centered narcissist who has a deluded sense of self grandeur and you have a real personality disorder that I have diagnosed..."

seems like the patient would always leave the doctor at that point... or is it something that goes into the file and it is up to the doctor to navigate around?

1 person likes this.
  5. makman

makman Member

Please, he's eating it up and loving every second of the drama. We all know he has a serious problem, but lets be honest if he didn't enjoy it why sit on twitter all day. He put himself in a position to be antagonized and frankly he deserves it, but he also wants it because he's a narcissist. Bad people? More like concerned people voicing their opinion, maybe not always properly but entitled nonetheless. He's a victim of his own doing and defending him is just as silly as wasting your time attacking him.

6. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

You got a point. People with talent, money, and power get away with being a drama queen more than the average joe could... too bad he doesn't realized he's no longer in Iowa State.

Rockets organization has tried to accommodate this guy, and has no further obligation to put up with this kind of a drama, on Twitter no less, from a mediocre prospect who hasn't played a single second of pro ball.

Cut/trade him and move on. From what I've seen so far, there's no need to drag it on any longer.

7. tofu--

tofu-- Member

If he truly cared about his health-- TRULY cared as much as he's preaching-- he would consider a change in careers. The NBA is tough and you have to be mentally tough to make it.

Instead yesterday he tweeted how outlandish it was that he was being fined. He says things are tough and all this BS and how the Rockets haven't met him halfway, but every single time the organization has done nothing but that. Every single time it's his whimsical caprices that come out of nowhere that Morey and the staff have accommodated, and not the other way around. He has never shown any true dedication or love of the sport unless everything is going his way. He wants all the glory but none of the work. He doesn't compromise and wants everything done for him. I hate to say it but I truly feel that he's exploiting the organization and I think fining him until he doesn't have a penny left to earn in his contract is the best thing they could do-- because I think he's going to cave at some point if you hold that at knifepoint.

He has mental problems, of that we're all certain. But these sorts of lapses in logic have shaky premises to begin with, and his demand that "more minutes=less anxiety" is being ridiculed, and rightly so. Because that's not illness. That's immaturity.

And it's ridiculous.

8. dejamike

dejamike Member

quit bit**ching

9. gah

gah Member

I was debating myself over starting a thread to talk about exactly those two points. Hate how people here are letting emotions get to them, makes me glad James Dolan is not our owner. What do you think happens first? we get rid of him or White issues an apology.

10. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also, the "experts" weighing in on what White is suffering are also ridiculous. None of you have ever met him, talked to him extensively, or diagnose people for a living (maybe a couple of you do, and if you do, you know better). Throwing out diagnoses because you read it on wikipedia is beyond stupid, and again insensitive.

Look, I don't think anyone is defending what White is doing. I think he is single-handedly ruining the chances for the next up and coming player with a mental illness, and he's sure as hell burning bridges with the Rockets. But it's clear this man is suffering greatly. A little empathy would go a long way. Yeah, you probably know people who have it way worse, yeah, he makes more money than all of us, but it doesn't mean that he's not suffering.

People just need to chill out. White isn't thinking rationally about the situation because of his disorder. Tweeting him isn't going to change that. Diagnosing him through webMD isn't going to change that. All we can do is hope he does something way more important than succeeding in basketball, and that is to get healthy.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

SC1211, he's all but diagnosed himself with everything in the DSM-IV manual

12. Akim523

Akim523 Member

The coversations on twitter basically go like this:

version 1
    fan: whats the issue?
    Royce: It's about support.
    fan: what more support do you want? any details?
    Royce: You dont understand <=== reason I tweet #smh

Version 2
    Royce: #transparency #honesty
    fan: Why did you delete some of your tweets, what are you trying hide?
    Royce ignores

It goes in circles over and over again.

He kept saying cheesy words like support, transparency and honesty, demanding consistency from the management but he hardly said anything or mentioned any issue in details. All he has done so far is complaining and acting like a victim.

Shame on you Royce

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is he still sleeping? Where are the tweets?

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Please tell me why we selected him with the 16th pick in the 1st round. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective, otherwise he adds no value. Who should be held accountable for drafting him and we passed on Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger, or Fab Melo.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

he's clogged the bandwith with all that crap, twitter is backed up like a toilet :(

16. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Never. A therapist would never say that. A therapist would find a way to show empathy and understanding. And other than bpd, those diagnoses are not often made or are the focus of therapy. I think Whites behavior would be better conceptualizer as forms of avoidance and that's the angle I would likely take with him while showing empathy.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

"Everybody wants to be on the 'We support' 'we want to helop' wagon, but when they realize it is TOUGH wagon to be on, they slowly back away"

-Royce White

18. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

im off the wagon.

19. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

I have only heard people mention diagnoses that White himself has claimed. I doubt that he has them all but I don't think even he knows what he has.

20. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Version 3

fan: Keep tweeting and standing up for us Royce.You are such an inspiration.

Me : Hey Royce,how many of these twitter followers are gonna help pay your bills when no NBA team will have anything to do with you ?

ZERO