1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Repped for your hard work :)

2. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

I actually am a psychologist and have dealt with similar anxiety issues. A pcp is not trained to treat these problems, at all. Many mental health professionals aren't very good either. I'm guessing the Rockets could offer the best care hat is available and White would benefit from it. To me the whole bus thing demonstrated that Royce was not truly facing his fears or getting proper care.

3. Arthurprescott2

keep up with the thread; it's been post 3-4 times already. It's in the Houston Chronicle article.

4. derelic

derelic Member

It's fantastic photoshopping...good job sir!

Tonight has been highly highly entertaining...going to bed and am expecting to wake up to a "Royce White has been waived..." article on ESPN

5. AbrahamLincoln

Alright, I laughed. The baby stroller was what did it for me.

6. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

34 pages!... with no basketball play/game discussions.. I wonder if Royce is actually reading this thread.... there seems to be synergy between this thread and his tweets..

7. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

There is nothing Royce has that Xanax doesn't fix. #AmIRight?

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Clutch's statements are defamatory if false. Even if you quote what someone said you can't just publish it without regard to whether its true or not.

But Royce is a Public figure and is not due the same amount of privacy rights that others are afforded.

Also defamation and social media is an uncharted ground and there is debate in whether or not simply posting is publishing intended to be read like the news.

Royce is trying to seem like a savant through all this, I feel bad for him because it seems like he is having a mental break down for the world to see. Definitely signs of bipolar disorder which is known to accompany general anxiety disorders.

I Don't think fame is in his best interest

9. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

#Ivebeentoobusyreadingroycewhitetweets

10. JMG524

JMG524 Member

This kid seems to have an overly inflated sense of self. I remember reading some negative comments from his former classmates who've said Royce can be incredibly arrogant. He doesn't seem to realize/care that he is hurting his teammates by creating an additional distraction that this young team does not need. The rockets took a chance on this kid when other teams passed and he doesn't seem grateful in the least. On top of that, this is coming from a rookie who hasn't done a thing in the nba. Imagine what his ego would be like if he actually became a decent player in this league. It's time to cut our losses package him and TD in a trade for another backup pg. Blame Morey for not performing his due diligence prior to the draft.

11. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Pretty ****ty how some are marginalizing him as a "headcase" or a "loon" when in all likelihood no one here has any grasp or knowledge of the mental health issues White suffers from.

12. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Do us a favor and quit the team. It would best for the team and yourself. Clearly your not suited to play this game, you just dont have what it takes. And all your shenanigans are a distraction to the team.

13. kent335

kent335 Member

Royce, you are handling the situation perfectly, just like how I handled my situation in San Diego.

P.S. I can tell you what drugs my doctor gave me. They work.

Ryan Leaf

14. cbk41

cbk41 Member

I know this situation has became toxic, but do you really believe someone like Morey didn't?

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

was going to go to bed, **** that. **** got goooood.

16. AbrahamLincoln

More than likely diligence was done. This was a risky move that has turned into a catastrophe. I really hope we try and negotiate some sort of release for him.

17. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="268566894292918274"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans">clutchfans</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/bull50">bull50</a> Careful what you guys say, there is no truth to this, its DEFAMING. Check the sources, i'll wait for the retraction!</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268601498232037376" data-datetime="2012-11-14T06:29:22+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    [​IMG]

BEST DAY EVAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

Your comment mirrors my feelings exactly. Except there is no team on Earth that would want him now. He just tweeted himself out of the NBA for good.

19. grunky

grunky Member

Please do NOT release this Douche Bag. Keep him on Suspended W/No Pay leave until you have to pay the man. Even then, keep him DEEP ON THE BENCH, and once his rookie deal is done, he can bounce.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm with White 100%. I've had similar issues in the past and the way I handled it was messed up, and the way my ex-employer handled it was even worse. It wasn't until I understood my condition better and they learned how to handle those conditions better that we reached an understanding that worked for both sides, and even then it was never perfect. You have to understand that this is very new to the guy, and he is still learning. Basketball coaches and NBA GM's are also not really equipped/taught to deal with this. The easy way out is saying "I don't care" but the truth is that they are incompetent in an area of management.

Do I think he's handled this poorly? Yes, absolutely I think he could have handled everything much much better. Do I think he's lazy or whiny? Hell no. It's easy for people to talk **** when they are not in the same situation. You can't "tough out" an anxiety disorder. It is not really curable. Joining the NBA is no joke, the guy needs lots of time to learn, and from the second the words "He should be here" came out of McHale's mouth, it was clear what kind of problem this would become - one where some of the important staff members simply do not understand the nature of the problem or how to manage it, probably since it's not a problem that can go away by simply working harder.

Also, the Rockets should be prepared. If things go downhill, they could be facing a serious lawsuit. If it iis somehow shown that they mishandled a health issue - especially one which they knew about prior to drafting him - could end up really bad.

This could have a happy ending with both sides coming out more competent, more educated and more succesful. Alternatively, this could end up being a loss for all sides.

2 people like this.