1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Royce White's First NBA Basket (UPDATED: Full Royce Highlights)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 15, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

That is nonsense. People making all of these judgements based off of one game. Let Royce have a season under his belt before we start talking like that.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Royce has more superstar potential than any other player on this roster.

3. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

He's also the most raw, with nothing but good vision, good handles, and an NBA body.

He's not particularly strong (or if he is, he doesn't use it), he doesn't make strong go-to moves to the basket, doesn't shoot well, and in general is an offensive liability.

I'd have thought the Rockets coaches would've emphasized the importance of being a scoring threat when he's already a great passer, but I don't see any improvement in his game.

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I see your point. It's way too early to build our offense around Royce, and the system is not designed for that as well.

I do see the potential in him, and agree 4/5 should be his starting point. His most standout defensive ability is his lowpost defense according to draftexpress scouting video.

I think he's gonna be ok, given that Mchale hand picked him. Mchale will find ways to better utilize him.

5. jopatmc

Raw is not the right word.

He has glaring deficiencies that need to be addressed (shooting, FT shooting, D).

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would say second to Lamb in all-star potential.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know his agent said that, but Morey has heaped a lot of praise on him as well.

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

He looks smooth out there when handling the ball.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I conclude that we don't have much potential then?

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Morey went on 790 and literally called him a top 5 draft talent discounting his off the court issues. He has a higher ceiling than Lamb. Scott Machado probably has a higher floor, though.

This kind of move is EXACTLY what you do when you're an underdog looking for an edge to get back on top. You keep rolling the dice til you hit, because you're already at zero to begin with.

And now, after ONE game, people are already complaining about his poor play and how we can't afford to have him getting significant minutes on our major league rotation. Because he might mess up our championship-level chemistry.

C'MON, MAN. When are ya'll gonna realize that, not only are wins irrelevant in this upcoming year, they're detrimental to our hopes of getting really good again in the years to come. I don't even care what Royce White's +/- or PER is in his third of a season. The important point is that we give him playing time, no matter what happens. Wake me up on New Years, and we'll have a much better picture about what Royce White might become. The worst thing we could do would be to sit him on the bench.

11. jopatmc

Conclude whatever you want.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

His season here will be a DNP-CD unfortunately. Rookies that attend camp, travel with the team and don't cause the coach and FO to sigh rarely get too much time their first year. And given the uncertainty of his whole situation, I think Royce is likely to see less time than Morris saw last year.

You might see the talent, but talent doesn't always equal court time or nba longevity.

Prove me wrong Royce.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Be that as it may. You nor anybody can tell the future so to say that you don't see starter quality or superstar potential somewhere down the road is silly.

14. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

The thing with Royce White is his competitive advantage in his game is his ball handling and playmaking ability. The only problem is this isn't the NCAA anymore. The NBA game is so structured and regimented that coaches will literally only trust their point guards or primary ballhandlers to have the ball in their hands and initiate transition. Whereas his ball handling was a competitive advantage in college, it is diminished in the pro game because there are other players that can do the same things Royce can but better. In order for him to have sustained success in this league, he will have to learn the things that coaches love: defense and rebounding.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

So it's ok to make superstar potential statements after same said one game? I think that is even sillier.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Both are silly. Even more so from pre-season or summer league play.

17. jopatmc

You make superstar potential statements when you recognize superstar potential. That could be while the kid is in high school (Andrew Wiggins), or in his first year of college (Cody Zeller), or in his second or third year of college after he has screwed up and went through a school transfer (Royce White) but before he is even drafted. I have said all 3 of these guys, among others, have superstar potential.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

I kind of disagree. I see so many people talking about Kyrie being a top 3-5 PG in 2-3 years time and I flip every single time I hear it. It is just absolute nonsense nobody ever talks about his weaknesses the way they do other young guys. In fact I have heard a lot more about superstar player weaknesses (ex/Rondo outside shooting) than I do Irvings total lack of defense.

19. QazQay

QazQay Member

defense at the pg position isn't all that important anyway unless you're big enough to guard sgs or sfs in which case its a huge plus. Kyrie's offensive ability is elite.

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

why is defense at point guard not important?

Kyrie might end up like Blake Griffin in a year or two, people will get tired of the hype, start talking about his weaknesses and end up exaggerating them so badly, that it will get sad.