1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pick 2 guys to keep

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tmacfor35, Oct 1, 2012.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Good thread.

I'd say GQ is back for sure. Slow start for Barwin so far, but I think he's going to prove his worth before the season is over. Antonio Smith is a question mark, especially with Jamison and Crick next up. And plus he's aging.

If it were up to me, and I had to lose one... It'd probably be Barwin.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hello, I'm Bradie James

3. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Why are we putting out stuff like this early in the season? Who actually knows the cap figure and that it says we can't keep all three at the end of the season?

There are only a handful of players that I don't mind losing, next season, none of those are options.

Myself and I suspect Brady James and his family are confused by this statement :confused:

Also Barwin cut his hair.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Never seen him. Doesn't exist.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Dayumn...

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure he does. You're just not trying hard enough. Look closer.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I have a feeling Smith may get cut next offseason due to the amount of money he is getting paid. He may have his deal restructured though.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

No way you can cut the Ninja. Guy has shown that he is a disruptive force in this league, and that's harder to find than a no sack OLB.

I think he gets restructured.

I like Barwin, I just feel like he is expendable. He does have Potential though. Just not as much as Whitney Mercilus IMO. Pittsburg, a notoriously top 10 defense every year, always finds ways to reload that lb position.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If the Texans can cut DeMeco Ryans, Antonio Smith is expendable.

I honestly think that Antonio enjoys playing for the Texans (and vice versa). Given that Antonio is on the wrong side of 30, there may be no big contracts waiting for him in FA. Reworking and extending Antonio's contract may be the win-win for both sides.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

GQ may not be top 5 safety, but the way he is playing....I'd put him in that top 6 - 9 ranking.
    If it came down to keeping him or Barwin, it would be tough, put I'd rather have Quin.

11. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Although GQ may not be top 5 or 10 or whatever, Id argue that the combo of GQ and Manning is possibly the best safety duo going right now.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Seattle says hello with Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

There are some interesting players that are freeagents though...Butler, Cadwell, Casey,
    Cody, Barwin, Bradie James, Nading, GQ...

I can really see everyone really getting deals...(I know that the Texans mgmt wont say it...but its a blessing in disguise that Barwin isnt putting up the same numbers he did last season)

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

extremely underrated duo...

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Another

16. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

This this this. Though it's hard to differentiate Wade's safety pairings from other traditional FS-ballhawk SS-tackler pairings since the stats don't pop. Polamalu/Clark , Reed/Pollard, and maybe Woodson/Burnett are there too.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Quin and Smith should be extended. I disagree with the notion that quin is not up there. He is only getting better and makes plays all over the field.

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Butler is for all intensive purposes already gone, Caldwell is fighting for his job and given Jones managed to get into a game rotation at RG plus Brooks waiting in the wings, he is gone. James is on a trail period and right now is probably in his final seasons, unless Sharpton comes back healthy and strong, James may stick for a bit on another one year. Nading has been living from year to year for his entire NFL career.

Brice McCain is also on his last year I believe but frankly based off his last two games, he is making the decision easy.

Cody, Casey, Quin and Barwin are the main ones that we would likely want to resign. Quin and Casey would seem the hardest to replace with no real young players behind them that could replace their skills.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

McCain was one of the best nickels in the league last season, I'm not tossing him to the side yet after a couple bad games

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Normally, I would be the same but we literally have young corners waiting in the wings for his position. I am not saying bench him now but the way he is playing this season is the reason Harris and Carmichael were drafted last season. Unless he has another pro-bowl type season, he isn't getting a contract most likely.

I'd take the trio of Manning, Quin and Demps compared to most other teams' safety groups.