1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Q&A with Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stl1622dc, Sep 21, 2012.

1. HYCA

HYCA Member

I'm new here, but this thread really amazes me that someone, without watching enough games on a player, is able to come up with some much criticism. Wow!

Come to think of it, it's some kind of skills, too. Most people will shut their mouths if they don't know enough. Maybe this person should seriously consider going into politics.

2. ParanoidAndroid

LOL I remember reading Gil's posts on RealGM Knicks board... don't think he's a Lin fan... Puzzles me why he's here pretending to be a Lin fan or a Rockets fan.

3. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Are you saying the sample size is too small because he was on a 'psychologically high?'

Please enlighten me with your explanation or theory on what caused Lin's skill defects you stated before, such as hesitation going left. Are they also caused by playing on a 'psychologically high?'

4. HYCA

HYCA Member

here is an article written back in Feb, 2012: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_jeremy_lin_knicks_lakers_021112, it said "Chandler ...Four games with Lin, and he knows what they have with him. “He just has a pace and a confidence,” Chandler said. “He just keeps coming. I haven’t seen anything like this. He’s taken us all by surprise … us, the league.” “He’s not a fluke.”

Just 4 games with Lin, Tyson Chandler knows how Lin is. Listen to the real export here, he does not need BIG sample size to determine.

I'm sure you would agree whatever Tyson said is much much more trustworthy than any other experts/analysts/commentators and non-experts/analysts/commentators who pretend to be one.

5. HYCA

HYCA Member

sorry for the typo:
    ...Listen to the real "expert"...

6. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

not much of a skill. it's pretty easy to tear someone down using "smear campaign" as nobody is perfect. it's why politicians use it so effectively. a lot of bashers tend to only read an article or two, scan for a negative point, regurgitate it on a message board, and when confronted with facts, they simply ignore it and continue to bash (or attempt to bash) on some other point, valid or not.

7. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

Come on people, don't even bother arguing with a racist already. It goes nowhere.

8. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

:rolleyes:
    it's pretty clear what you are trying to do here, Sir.

9. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to register. I have to give formido props for a fantastic post. I always enjoyed your posts in other forums. Cognitive bias, I learned a new phrase.

There has been a few who are trying to downplay Lin's performance during Linsanity (bad opponents, no scounting report, now psychological high) and play up the Miami game and the games under Woodson. The skewed picture of Lin's performances have been repeated so many times by SAS and the like (incl. NY radio talking heads from I heard) that casual fans are believing these so-called experts rather than believing their own eyes.

Let's talk about the competition first. Before Lin's breakout, the Knicks lost 11out of 13 games. They lost to the Bobcats for crisp sake. They had a record of 8-15, 7 games below .500. They couldn't beat bad teams as well as good teams and that's with both Carmelo and Stoudemare in the line-up. Carmelo and Stoudemare were both sidelined soon after Lin broke out. The starting line-up during Linsanity: Tyson Chandler, Bill Walker, Jared Jeffreys, Landry Fields and Lin. It's hardly scaring any opponents. The Rockets' young team in the upcoming season is arguably better than that Linsanity team. Yet, that Linsanity team somehow beat the Lakers (for the first time in 5 years!) and the Marverics. And the point guards Lin outplayed during that period: DWill, Devin Harris, John Wall, Derek Fisher, Ricky Rubio, Jose Caledron, Jason Kidd etc. Weak competition? Hardly.

As for Lin's basketball IQ, Mike D'Antoni's brother told the SI reporter (in their first interview after D'Antoni left the Knicks): "Lin just ran everything Mike drew up very very well." Mike D'Antoni also said it during Linsanity that he felt now finally he could draw up something and felt it might work. Mind you, Lin didn't have a training camp due to the lockout and the late pickup. He never practiced with the 1st team (he said he didn't really want to start against Jazz because of that). Actually, a story leaked out from Lin's friend during Linsanity that said D'Antoni never even talked to Lin or called him by his name during practices before. Yet, with zero practices under D'Antoni, Lin went out and ran every plays D'Antoni drew up "very very well". If that doesn't show high basketball IQ, I don't know what it is.

In addition, given the lack of practice time, I don't know how Lin could be called a product of D'Antoni's system. If you check out any of his game highlights in college or summer league, he played the same penetration game before D'Antoni.

As for Lin's athleticism, please check out ESPN's interview with Bob Cousy. He said he was skeptical when he heard all the friends raved about Lin. He finally sat down and watched Lin's game against the Mavericks. He changed his opinion 180. He said he's most impressed by Lin's speed and quick first step. He said speed was the thing that separated men from boys and Lin had it. Bob Cousy would know a thing or two about PGs' speed. When the reporter asked him about Lin's left hand, Cousy brushed it aside and said he could improve on it and Lin only needed to get to 80:20 to keep the defense honest. Acutally, Lin was probably already went over 20% with his left hand. Again, this came from Bob Cousy.

Cognitive bias indeed!

10. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I like Jeremy a lot. I can't wait to see him on the floor. I think he's going to do a great job.

That said, in the future, should I find reason to critique Jeremy's game, I just want everyone to know, I am NOT a racist.

11. luden

luden Member

The only people who get called out are the ones who act like they know so much about the kid's game but have only seen some of the games he's played in.

12. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

I criticize JLin's game all the time. I think he's reckless and crosses the line from confident to self-endangerment to a degree I think is very difficult to overstate.

The question is, do I harp on ish he is clearly working on, and visibly improving on? NO. Because it's clear to me he understands what he needs to work on and is doing so.

You've got to wonder then what the motivation is for faggotry posts which attempt to exaggerate the negatives, portray Lin in the worst possible light, and never mention the positives, which vastly outweigh the negatives.

And then you add the ex post facto denials and it becomes quite obvious that these hater posts are just that: pure faggotry of the highest passive aggressive order.

13. Sherlockfever

Sherlockfever Rookie

haha, no, u r!! just kidding

I'm a Lin fan, but I won't be so blind to claim he is elite, Lin obviously has a lot to learn and to improve

But I don't like those whose sole purpose is to hate on Lin and to ill wish Lin to fail

14. HYCA

HYCA Member

Well said, formido & Cadreaming!
    I sure hope there is a thumb-up icon, I will definitely click on it for your comments.

15. Rocketman1234

Rocketman1234 Member

Rubio is 22 now. Lin was drafted at 21. Why are you trying to reduce their ages to prove ur point? U aren't making sense

16. amaru

amaru Member

I'm going to keep my expectations low........Lin is the 2nd closest thing this team has to a proven offensive threat (Kevin Martin is still a Rocket) so opposing defenses are going to key in on him and study his tendencies.

How he adjusts over the next few years will let us all know if he is an above average player, a star, or even a super star.

17. Rocketman1234

Rocketman1234 Member

Amazing post! Totally agree

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This thread was supposed to be about how Lin planned to improve his game. And it turned into RV6 against the world trying to curb the Lin hype.

I can't wait for the season to start so we can actually WATCH Jeremy Lin play and discuss his performance.

19. amaru

amaru Member

If only we had prime Yao manning the middle with the current roster...smh.

20. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Yeah. Lets cut that out. It's clear RV is a good dude who has been on this forum for a while. Not everyone agrees with everyone on everything.
    The only thing if like to day is that any player should not be "bashed" until they play badly enough to deserve criticism especially their own players. Lin cane in as a virtual rookie, and affected his team positively. There's no need for negativity. Same goes for Omer.