1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Griffin III

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockbox, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I wouldn't give Luck any more praise if he had a similar game. Those same people heaping praise on RGIII will probably say what I am about to if he comes out and has an awful game next week. RGIII had a good game no doubt, especially for his first NFL game on the road but it was just one game against a bottom tier defense. I'd like to see if he can keep this up against some of the league's better defensive units which he will get to face several times this season. He proved he can play in the league but can he sustain it? We shall see.

2. Major

Major Member

In what way is Luck being exposed? :confused: I believe he had the 3rd most passing yards ever for a QB in his first start. Sure, he threw a bunch of interceptions, but that's not surprising for a rookie.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Some of you guys that love RG3 should understand denigrating Andrew Luck doesn't help RG3. They aren't in competition with each other.

I'm rooting for both. One game doesn't make a season or career. Before the season is over, I believe the Colts and Redskins will be happy with their QBs.

4. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Those yards dont mean much, because the Bears were playing prevent

5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

I dont hate Andrew Luck.. i dont just dont agree he is a Peyton Manning type of prospect like everybody is saying he will be

I dont see it

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Peyton Manning had 3 INTs in his first game also. What was your impression afte Peyton's first game in the NFL?

7. Major

Major Member

Lots of teams were playing a prevent defense against rookie starters all throughout history, given that those rookie starters were generally getting blown out. Yet, he still threw for more yards than all but two of them.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you don't see the similarity between Luck and Peyton Manning, you are blind or in denial. I'm NOT saying he will be as good as Manning (this is very doubtful), but the similarities are there.

After watching Luck play 6-7 games last season, I began to believe he was being overhyped. By the end of the year, I concluded RG3 and Matt Barkley had higher upsides in the NFL than Luck. But the story is just beginning and things have to play out.

9. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Luck reminds me of Alex Smith, and im just being honest

His upside is a bigger more mobile Eli Manning, not Peyton

10. t_mac1

Ok, I'll just stop.

11. likestohypeguy

lol at the haters' excuses- good LUCK hahaha. Meanwhile he &the rest of the NFL can start preparing their buttholes for at least the next decade or so, because despite all your excuse making RG3 is the real deal & is here to stay. Never before have we seen a qb with anything CLOSE to his combination of refined talent, all the intangibles, superior intelligence, maturity, leadership, & yes athleticism. Though understand he's not even going to beat you with athleticism 9/10, but like it or not he is going checkmate your defensive coordinator with film study, preparation, & quick thinking out there. Oh yeah, but if you really beg him to yes I hear he's pretty fast too. ;)

You're looking at the next greatest ever right here boys. No one's ever come into the league & done what he has already in one game, and the best part is he's only going to be getting better (as he continues to learn at an increasingly accelerated rate)!

This is going to be one HELL of a season for Robert G. "The GOAT" 3!!

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Cam Newton doesn't qualify as "anything CLOSE" and his first game last season (with no off-season program) doesn't rank close or equal to RG3's opening game? Should I also mention Newton's coach last year was also a "rookie"?

What will you say when RG3 bumbles and stumbles later on this season. No hot-starting rookie QB "only gets better". I guess you haven't watched the NFL for very long.

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Top 10 dumbest comment in internet history

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

LOL! :grin:

I stopped after the offensive line comment.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't hate Luck. I think he's could and probably will be a great quarterback. However, I've yet to see him do anything special like I saw Peyton, Eli, and even Brady do in college. He never made a throw in college that made something out of nothing. He also doesn't have very good touch on his long throws because I saw a lot of instances where his receivers have to slow down or come back for the ball.

What made him the top prospect is that no one could say anything negative about him. He's big, strong, accurate, fairly mobile, and doesn't make bad decisions.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

only if those steroids also increased his mental ability as well.

17. t_mac1

Seriously, did you even watch the game v. the Bears on Sunday? Don't look at the numbers. Watch it.

Outside of the 1st quarter, he literally drove against the Bears defense at will for the most part. One of his INT was a tipped ball in the end zone (bad luck). And his kicker missed a huge FG late in the 2nd that would have made in a single possession game going into halftime. Huge sequence on the road for a very young team. The last INT doesn't count b/c the game was out of reach and he was just forcing things late in the 4th. He also missed some receivers b/c his O-line was so poor. But the guy was never rattled. And like I said, he kept his offense moving vs a potential top 5 Bears defense (when healthy). And this is a guy playing for a ROOKIE coach, and ONE good offensive player alongside with him (Wayne), with no O-line, and no defense (after Freeney went out).

I'm sure if you had him face the Saints last Sunday, his numbers would be a teeny bit better I would bet.

One game doesn't make a player. It's the consistent performances (whether bad/good) that makes a player.

#437 t_mac1, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

:confused: Are you referring to RGIII?

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no. Colt's. Even if Colt was on steroids (bigger, faster, stronger) he wouldnt have near the football IQ/reading defense ability RG3 has.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess I need some too. :)