1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas State vs Houston

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Aug 27, 2012.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This guy freaking nailed it

I correctly recognized that Piland was awful a couple years ago when Keenum was injured. Piland was pitiful, and had no game presence and leadership then, and still doesn't.

So to all you who were clowning my comment early in the thread, he's a nice, steaming plate of:

[​IMG]

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Ask me this again next week after they get their ass kicked by Tech.

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

After losing to Texas State, the words "conference championship" shouldn't be in your vocabulary.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

[​IMG]

Errbody dancin'!

1 person likes this.
  5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That's cool they have the go ahead for the new digs. Where will the team play for the next 2 years?

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

oops, wrong thread.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

....but is the financing complete for the new stadium?

expect pretty weak attendance at HISD Public School Stadium (original name for the Rob) given this UH team's talent level. Remember, these are coog fans we're talking about

8. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

UH has fallen really far.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Allright, I'm halfway sober now and I've gathered my thoughts...

This was probably the worst football game I've seen UH play since 2004 vs. Rice.

It seemed like everyone was unprepared, even the people in the freaking PA booth were fumbling all over themselves. Levine is in over his head, and Nesbitt should be given his walking papers IMMEDIATELY. That spanking of Penn State last year was clearly the work of Keenum and Kingsbury. My hope is that we suck so hard Levine gets the boot at the end of the year and we hire someone else. Dykes, Coker, Tuberville (if he gets fired), hell... even Franchione should be on the table.

The defense, for as bad as they were in the first half, made some excellent adjustments at halftime and really locked down in the second half. Special teams also cleaned up and started giving us much better field position. Any Cougar offense from the last 10 years would have won a game with a defensive performance like that. So, I give Bryant a pass. A read option team with a running QB has always given us trouble, but he figured it out eventually. The problem was the offense did them no favors and hung them out to dry too many times.

Speaking of which, that was the worst quarterbacking performance I have ever seen by a Houston QB, and I sat through 0-11. While it wasn't *all* on Piland, he definitely takes the lion's share of the blame. His protection was decent to good. Unfortunately his receivers barely seemed to get any separation, and when they did, they dropped some catchable balls. That's to be expected with 5 new starters though. My main problem with Piland was that he seemed to be playing Madden on the field. He had *zero* touch on his throws. Every single one was a bullet. He was pressing. Hitting guys in the feet and knees. Several times he panicked and threw the ball away for no good reason. His mechanics were terrible, sidearm releases, throwing off of his back foot, just absolute garbage. I've lost all confidence in him and I want to see Bram Kohlhausen under center before the year is over.

Piland, for as bad as he did, was made even worse by Nesbitt's playcalling. He abandoned the run almost immediately after falling behind (with 2.5 quarters to play and your best player gashing them for 7+ YPC, reminded me of Kubiak). He never used any misdirection, no bubble screens, no split backfield. Our first drive lasted 14 seconds, LOL. Our best drives came under the hurryup, which was only used sparsely at the end of the first half and never again. I felt like I was watching a really bad copy of a copy of a copy of our old spread offense.

I fully expect La Tech to kick our asses (and A&M's) next week. In the meantime, at least there's always the Texans.

#109 DonnyMost, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Shovels go in the ground in December of this year. 2013 season will be played in Reliant. 2014 will be in the new stadium. Students stepped up and financed the remainder of the project, big ups to them.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

A shoutout to my friend, Isaiah Battle. 5 catches for 75 yards for the Bobcats.

He and I played and graduated together at Cy-Woods.... and he did it all during our senior year. I won't forget the long catch-and-run against Cy-Creek that set up the go-ahead touchdown and the game winning TD against Dallas Skyline in the playoffs.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I read all that for no reason and was rewarded at the end with this? Sweet.

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

From what I hear Bram is injured and won't be available until after UCLA.

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I was nervous about this game I thought UH would win handily,but knowing our defense I knew they would give up some points and TSU might keep it close because Fran is a good coach he just never hired the right DC in colleyvilly and it ended up costing him his job. I have always thought he was a great offensive mind and his offense always works and its unique enough that the option game would give us fits. I just figured UH might struggle early but once they put a drive or 2 together they would start rolling.

Piland was beyond bad last night, and on the rare occasions he managed to throw a good pass either the WR's weren't ready or they just dropped the ball.

That was a total horse**** performance, and I don't care what kind of UH homer you are there is no excuse or playing like that at home when you had all spring and fall practice to get ready to play.

15. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Coker has a good thing in San Antonio. Building our program up in a hurry and averaging 50,000 a game.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm sure he does. But money talks. We can triple his salary.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I wouldn't give the defense that much credit. Fran sat on the lead and started milking clock immediately. It sounds silly to start running the clock at halftime, but Fran's known to do it. And though Texas State didn't do much for most of the 3rd quarter, they still had the ball for almost 12 minutes. Fran knew UH's offense wasn't doing squat so he was more than willing to play conservative.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Not really sure what game you were watching. TXST had 11 of their 25 pass attempts in the 3rd quarter alone. It wasn't until about 12 minutes left in the 4th that they really went into conservative mode. Granted, that was what really sealed the game. They ate up almost 8 minutes on a 77 yard drive and got a field goal to go ahead 3 scores after we failed to 1) convert off a fumble recovery and 2) failed to recover the subsequent punt TXST muffed. That game-ending drive doesn't happen if the offense doesn't completely s**t the bed for the 12th time in a row. The defense wasn't good, but they did give us a chance to win. That's all you can really ask for.

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

GO BOBCATS.

haters gonna hate

20. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Nice! :grin: Only folks who lived in San Marcos are gonna get this one. Now all we need is a Frisbee Dan appearance...