1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sharia poses problems, says Australian judge.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IzakDavid13, Aug 28, 2012.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/sharia-poses-problems-says-judge-20120823-24p2d.html

[​IMG]

THE idea sharia could operate as part of Australian law was ''misconceived'' and minority practices that offend moral standards should be abandoned, the former High Court judge Sir Gerard Brennan said last night.

''No court could apply and no government could administer two parallel systems of law, especially if they reflect - as they inevitably would reflect - different fundamental standards,'' he said.
    To do so would result in two legal systems and confirm dual cultures, Sir Gerard said during a lecture in honour of the former law professor Hal Wootten at the University of NSW.

''The democratic principle prescribes that the culture of the majority is determinative of the legal structure,'' he said. In Islamic law, he said - quoting the president of the Abu Dhabi Supreme Court - customs and legal reasoning had to agree with the Koran. But in Australian common law there was a gap between the requirement of the law and individual moral standards.

''We call that gap 'freedom' and it allows Australian law to protect the cultural moral values of our minorities,'' he said.
    The lecture also featured anecdotes from Sir Gerard's career and his reflections on the value of juries and the need for procedural fairness. He said in a multicultural society individuals were free to follow their own moral standards because of agreement about fundamental values, and Muslims were free to adhere to the beliefs, customs and practices prescribed by sharia ''insofar as they are consistent with the general law in force in this country''.
    ''That freedom must be respected and protected but that does not mean that Islamic sharia should have the force of law,'' he said.

His remarks follow comments by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, who had called for sharia to operate in parallel with common law.
    ''That suggestion seems to me to be misconceived. It recalls the problem of recognition of traditional Aboriginal law,'' he said.

In Britain, there are 80 sharia tribunals operating in the Muslim community, and a few weeks ago the UTS law lecturer and Muslim convert Jamila Hussain told the Herald sharia operates in Australia. But she said the existence of sharia did not pose a problem, and the two systems were rarely in conflict.

There is a push here in Australia, and many other countries world wide, to adopt a parallel legal system for Followers of Islam. That would be Sharia Law.

Would you be happy to accept sharia law as a parallel law running side by side with your current local, state, federal & National laws?

Your thoughts on this topic?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sharia "law" is unacceptable in any civilized Western society.

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I agree that Sharia law has no place in the west (or anywhere, really), but the only reason IzakDavid13 is so critical of Islam is because it isn't Christianity.

1 person likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Christianity - talking about the present, not its bloody past - doesn't have crazy Sharia laws anymore, so there is a difference.

5. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

6. IzakDavid13

Just a question. Would the following statements be regarded as repugnant, racist, xenophobic hate speech?

“Muslims are the vilest of animals…”

“Show mercy to one another, but be ruthless to Muslims”

“How perverse are Muslims!”

“Strike off the heads of Muslims, as well as their fingertips”

“Fight those Muslims who are near to you”

“Muslim mischief makers should be murdered or crucified”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe that the above statements are hate speech, disgusting and vile. Also I don't agree with any of them at all.

In saying that would the following spoilered statements be regarded in the same way....

Sura (8:55) - Surely the vilest of animals in Allah's sight are those who disbelieve

Sura (48:29) - Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves

Sura (9:30) - And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah... Allah (Himself) fights against them. How perverse are they!

Sura (8:12) - I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them

Sura (9:123) - O you who believe! Fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness

Sura (5:33) - The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement

The first lot of staements are quotes from the Qur’an in which the word ‘Christian’, ‘Jew’ or ‘unbeliever’ has been replaced with the word ‘Muslim.’

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Articles/Quran_Hate.htm

This is the book that is being taught in mosques and Islamic schools.

Would you want this type of literature taught in our schools to our children?

Do I hate Muslims? NO.

Do I strongly dislike the Quranic literature that calls for either the death of me and my people because of our belief in Christ, death to Jews, dhimmitude (subservience to Muslims) or forced conversion?YES

It is one thing when a nut or psychopath goes beserk and commits a crime such as kidnapping, murder or rape.
    It is another thing when a 'religion' tries to justify it with their 'Holy writings' and commands from a god.

Until you've had family slaughtered in the name of allah for attending a church service, or friends and relatives kidnapped for ransom by devout Pious men who were just following the example set by the Prophet of the Religion of Peace...you wouldn't understand.

Does modern day Christianity have its faults...yes.

But Jesus was perfect, and a perfect example on how we should conduct ourselves.

Ex-Muslims make awesome Christians in my opinion.

Just my opinion.

#6 IzakDavid13, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. thadeus

I'm going to avoid this tired old argument and ask: do you think Christianity has any business formulating the laws in western governments? Do you believe the west is a "Christian" civilization? Do you believe Muslims are a threat to Christianity?

8. IzakDavid13

I have nothing against Muslim people, but the islamic doctrine Is something that I disagree strongly with.
    I was going to delete the previous post in order not to offend some folks, but the truth is the truth, and in this political P.C. climate, I find people are quick to bash Christianity and Christians, calling us intolerant, bigots and accuse us of hate speech, but are ready to defend Islam and won't dare answer the simple question posed to them in that post.

Such is life.

I proved my point.

/thread

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My thought is that there is no possibility that Sharia law would be implemented in the USA or any other country I might later choose to live in. I'm puzzled that people think it might.

10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Isn't Sharia Law on applicable to Muslims? I can see why people would be skeptical as while by definition it may only be applicable to Muslims, what is to stop the evolution into State Law? In the US we have a separation of church and state, and therefore I can not see how the government can sponsor a religious law even if it is to be only applied to members of that religion. I don't think this could ever or would ever become a problem in our country. Islamaphobia runs high amongst some people though.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

One side of mouth: We can't let religions like islam affect our laws!

Other side of mouth: You can't get gay married because the bible says so!

12. thadeus

You didn't prove anything, and I haven't accused you of anything other than simply opposing your religious views with the religious views of others. I don't think any religion, anywhere in the world, should have any power over the lives of those who choose not to believe it. I don't think any of it, ever, should be codified into law.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Muslims seek to supplant Canadian law with Sharia

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Goodness, at least let people know when you straight up plagiarize your hatred from a well known Islamophobe website..

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Articles/Quran_Hate.htm

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks for the link to this very educational website. Are you claiming that the information provided on the link you gave is factually incorrect? Were these quotes invented?

17. penda45

penda45 Member

I don't see him claiming that anywhere?!?!

Do you see something else in his statement that only states that the poster should have provided a reference to the text?

18. IzakDavid13

Classic dodgeball sidestepping as usual...Link added. ( some things are hard to do on iPhone )

Would you like to now answer the questions presented in the post?

But now as for the question AroundTheWorld posed...
    And while we are on the subject of linking to websites, here is another good article...
    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/Quran-Hate.htm

There is a difference between 'Hate' sites and websites that provide factual information.

If this is an islamophobe website, would that make the Quran a Jewaphobic or Christaphobe publication?

19. IzakDavid13

Can you prove otherwise?

20. IzakDavid13

I agree 100%