1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential NFL fan here!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Wapzoe, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Welcome, Wapzoe!

Cheering for the Houston Texans is a no-brainer ... :grin:

Just like you I've first started to follow the Houston Rockets (also a big fan of them), so choosing the Texans as my favorite NFL team was an easy choice ...

1 person likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I used to be an NFL expert like you, but then I took a beard to the neck.

2 people like this.
  3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm going to try not to sound like a troll this year.

Try.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Label me an idiot on this one. I honestly didn't know that Light retired and that Peters was injured.

Head is currently hanging in shame.

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong with adopting the Texans while the Raiders flounder in oblivion.

You can always go back later and just claim an Al davis induced fan-coma.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

As an NFL fanatic in an NFL crazed city, with all members of my wife's family as well as most of my friends being die-hard Texans fans, it would be nearly impossible for me not to have at least a passive interest.

I'm just going to call it like I see it, without the blinders on. I think of it as a public service.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Well, so far you're 0 for 2 with your Texans' takes.

Replacing Walter and underrating Brown.

You've got some homework to do, armchair.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I can't believe what you missed. :(

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Clifton and Peters make for a good argument I agree. They're just too oft injured to be put in my top 5. I like Matt Light and he's a tremendous offensive lineman that aids Brady in putting up all his record numbers, but I'd take the young calf over the old bull in this istance.

Has Brown missed a game yet? Serious question I'm not sure if he's ever been held out with an injury, dependability is always a must with LTs as well. So that would be a major plus if he hasn't yet.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Trust me, I know there's more. I stopped at 10 for the sake of brevity.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If this is a back-handed stab at me.....I will rep you.

For the record, it's true...and it still bothers me to no end...

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's a hyperbolic/facetious nod to you, yes. And a sentiment that I wholly agree with, btw.

13. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

All you need to know is that the Texans sucked and didn't have any real success until last year, yet they've sold out every single home game they've ever had. Many people took the Oilers for granted, and now they realize teh suck of losing a pro team (especially an NFL in Texas), and they religiously back the Texans no matter what. I'm a little jelly that the Rockets don't have that unconditional love/support from this city. Battlefight til the bloody end, mate.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And I'm saying you missed one too important to be left out, even for brevity's sake. And you of all people leaving it out is surprising.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Whatever you say, Mr. "Ochocinco will flourish in New England" ;)

Kevin Walter showed signs of major decline last year, and he looks like dead weight to me.

I'm underrating Duane Brown by not calling him the best in the NFL?

Pretty arm-chairish statement.

Most NFL pundits would rank Joe Thomas and Jake Long above him every day of the week.

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Kareem Jackson is the team whipping boy. He was a 1st rounder two years ago: played awful his first season, was much improved but merely okay last year and is the starting CB2 again.

He is a solid zone corner but has a hard time playing man-to-man and tracking the ball at the same time. If he hasn't learned to track the ball better, he could be in for a long season.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Eh, I'm hoping he redeems himself since he's going to be the only guy in Miami with a pulse this year. That should get him a defacto 80 catches.

Major decline? How so? He played hurt a good chunk of the year, and his #1 buddy AJ wasn't around much to draw coverage off him. He had a down year, but I didn't expect him to do better because AJ wasn't around. That's armchair talk.

I'd put Brown up against anybody in the NFL, Long or Thomas. Those guys came into the NFL at higher draft positions, with more expectations and marquee names, so I'm not shocked the Mel Kiper's of the world would rate them as such. But I'll take Brown. He's elite, BAMF, breakin' eye sockets and s**t. Very best? Arguable. Top 5? Almost undoubtedly.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He's a very good player, but to say he's the best in the league is a bit of a stretch. Plus it is hard to quantify OL stats. You can look at PFF's advanced metrics and see which guys stand out.

Duane doesn't have a J-name though.

Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Joe Staley, Jason Peters, Jared Veldheer.

All time: Jonathan Ogden.

Gotta have that J-name.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^
    anthony munoz faints

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Duane's in a contract year. I expect him to be the best OL in the league this year. I have huge expectations for him. I'm sure Jake Long and Joe Thomas are amazing, but last time I checked, the Dolphins and Browns offense didn't hum along like a finely tuned machine after their pro-bowl QBs went down. The Texans' offense, and its unbelievable consistency and versatility over the last 4 years (rushing champs & passing champs), is a testament to Brown and his abilities.

Plus he broke James Harrison's f***ing eye socket with his face. I mean Jesus. Folk hero s*** right there.

Edit: Long's contract is up too. He better hope Tannehill/Garrard doesn't poop the bed and ruin his earning potential.