1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight update: Not close to a trade with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

Pretty much.

2. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

I think Lamb is safe after Martin is gone we have no starting 2 guard...I know they could trade the Rockets Richardson but then we wouldn't have a backup

3. Pete the Cheat

noone can argue with the logic behind your statement...
    and if Dwight hadn't made a public spectacle of his reluctance stay re-up with wherever he lands Orlando might still have to leverage to pull that off...

however, that isn't the case. Orlando is going to get pennies on the dollar when it's all said and done.

and a little off topic. but I think PPat has higher regard in league circles than here on the board.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

He has had ONE year, we in fact don't know what Parsons can become.
    As smart as he is about how to play the game, there is still plenty to learn and plenty of time to work on weaknesses. By all accounts, Parsons is a hard worker, has very high basketball IQ and wants to be better....those kind of players normally exceed early projections as long as they have the physical gifts.

How he plays this year is a better indicator of who he will be in the NBA than judging him after one rookie season.

All this talk of "high\low ceiling" is just talk from people who think they can predict the future.

5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Isn't that what all trade rumor threads are until the rumor plays out? This one is more than a rumor, though. Local media and even the Rockets FO have hinted strongly that Dwight Howard is a trade target of HOU.

Until something happens, we will all be speculating what packages are offered, which are likely based of twitter updates by insiders. We would use actual articles instead of twitter updates, but the insiders use twitter. I've looked at twitter more times than ever before because of the updates. I've learned which journalists are trustworthy, and which ones are not. What happens with the Dwight Howard trade will reinforce which journalists I will trust going forward.

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course you want them, but if you are getting picks and shedding salary, you can't have them.

7. daytripper

daytripper Member

Hope Morey is not even considering trading Lamb or DMo. I will be one unhappy camper. Why let fans get attached to these players and then deal them? I'll be disappointed if they deal Parsons too.

I still say keep Lamb, DMO, Parsons, White, and Jones. Now all they need is a franchise player which they can get thru the draft. Just deal Martin and one of the PF's to Minnesota for another pick.

8. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

You're right, it's obvious that I can't predict the future. I'm not saying I can, I was just offering my personal opinion. I like his work ethic, the fact that he doesn't do stupid things on the court, and the fact that he's a team player, a good clubhouse guy. I am very interested to see how he plays this year, hopefully he improves. I wouldn't want him to be included in a deal, but I think that the Magic would prefer our rookies over him. I don't know what Morey is willing to do, obviously at this point nobody has any idea. I would be curious if he is very willing to put CP25 in a package. Only time will tell.

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But there is no guarantee what that draft pick will give you. The Rockets should offer that same package with the Toronto pick and two second rounders to Orlando for Howard. Nothing more. If they take it, great. If not, offer Martin to a team like Minnesota that values him.

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Care to place a tipjar wager on it?

Orlando would be smart to milk this for as long and as much as they can. The only incentive to trading Dwight now is to appease him. The longer they wait, the clearer the picture surrounding the draft picks and talent of the young players they acquire. It makes no sense to acquire picks now that are clouded by the uncertainty of where they may fall or players that are unproven. Come February they will have a much clearer picture on both fronts.

#2050 RocketsPimp, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  11. Ultimate6thMan

I understand why many posters here think that we should or either will have to give up half the farm, our promising rookies, to get Dwight, but what many here don't realize is that there really isn't a BETTER offer than what we can give, WITHOUT giving up any of our rookies, from anyone else.

Orlando doesn't want Bynum or Varejow...or whatever his name is...you know..big hair. No one is offering a pick better than that toronto pick plus another first and early 2nd rounder. And no one can really take on more salary than we can. Add to that, that Dwight IS A RENTAL for trade purposes because he will not sign a contract until this next season is played out and finished, not to mention that his back issues still haven't been cleared via medical examination.

The bottom line is that Hennigan will look like a real fool ultimately if he passes up on whatever Morey offers him because it will be his best offer and to take anything else would only mean that he was afraid of Morey getting the best of him, so he made a worse decision. Morey is probably playing poker that Hennigan will probably just realise that although the Rockets offer isn't exactly or as much as he wants, it's the MOST that the market will put forward considering this whole drama!

Hennigan doesn't have the luxury to wait until the trade deadline because if he does, he will get EVEN LESS than whatever the Rockets are willing to offer right now...no matter who is willing to trade for Dwight at that point.

12. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

lol posted a pic of Dwight in a Rox uniform and got quickly deleted by Net fans

13. daytripper

daytripper Member

After seeing what he's done to the Orlando team I would pass on Dwight even if Rockets could get him on the cheap.

I want to build thru the draft and this would be the perfect season to get a top pick. With New Orleans and Sac already improving with top 5 picks in the draft the Rockets could easily have the worst record in the west while developing the young kids. Dwight would ruin that too. All 3 Texas teams have already proven they can draft studs (Duncan, Dirk, Dream) and win rings. After the initial hysteria acquiring so called studs via trade or FA (TMac, Francis) has only resulted in problems. Bynum or Dwight may be talented but why take on another team's headache.

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That logic cuts both ways, though. I'd be absolutely stunned if Houston offers as much in February as it will right now. Part of the reason a team like the Rockets is willing to offer so much for Dwight is that they have a full year to build a team around him and sell him on the organization. Moreover, there's a risk that if a player (say, Lamb) or a pick (Toronto) looks too good, the Rockets would remove them from the offer.

To me, the potential reward for Orlando by waiting is offset by the risk.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think the biggest danger for Orlando in waiting is that by the trade deadline, the Rockets may be the only real customer willing to deal with the Magic. Right now, there's at least *some* legitimate bargaining going on with other teams. But at the deadline, their options will be severely limited. Things are more wide open right now, the possibilities will narrow in the Rockets' favor as we reach the deadline. Plus there's always the chance the rookies play well and Toronto sucks, too.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I really want the Rockets to get Dwight, but all of this dragging out is worrying me. Currently constructed, we are not a good team. While developing young players is exciting to watch, it also takes time and there's not guarantee that our rookies will turn out to be good. I'd rather have a proven center.

I just wish this would end already! Lol this could drag on for weeks. Hopefully it isn't like the "Melodrama" where he wasn't traded until the deadline. That would suck.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

There is no guarantee that Dwight's back holds up or that Dwight remains with the Rockets. There are no guarantee's period. I would rather take a gamble on the rookies.

1 person likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I mean there's also no guarantees that the rookies will turn into good NBA players...I'd rather have the established allstar coming off of minor back surgery than rookies with "potential"

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'd rather take a chance on the rookies rather than a drama-queen superstar who has a history of putting himself before his team, has already torn one franchise apart, who doesn't want to be in Houston, is a free agent, and is coming off of MAJOR back surgery.

20. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Yup all true, that's why the Rockets have to pick a direction

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.