1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GQ] The Jeremy Lin Debate No One Wants to Have

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Jul 19, 2012.

1. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

Yup , thats how it goes . I didnt see them call out McGee,Dragic, Amari, Lewis the list can go on . JR Smith not getting good money is because of his mouth ,persona ,and his infectious attitude. Hes been ridding the Anthony coat tail all his career in my opinion

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You guys are just continuing the spiral of accusatory assumptions that started with this article. Carmelo and the rest of those guys are self-entitled prissies who very possibly are racist. But what good does it do to sit here and slander people? You're fighting smoke with fire as long as you keep up this small-minded racist talk.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lin is making an average of 8M a year. How is that a big contract? For comparison's sake Melo's making 23M this year, and he's won just about the same number of games for the Knicks as Lin did last season. Hell, Asik got the same 8M a year deal and he's played an average of 10 mins last season.

People can talk about race all they want but Lin's contract has almost nothing in there for his race. If Lowry was the guy who was playin in NY and he blew up and people were calling it Lowrysanity then I think DM would have offered the same deal regardless.

4. bloop

bloop Member

First of all I don't understand why semantics are such a big point to some of black posters here in this case but you all aren't even keeping his interviews straight.

the comment he got blasted for is

If you're going into dissect his words, what he says is "that ridiculous contract that's out there." There's not much to interpret. "That" is a demonstrative pronoun indicating emphasis on "contract" a noun he specifically qualifies as "ridiculous." What is ridiculous is the contract.

later after being on blast he backtracked in another interview on another day and said

I can accept anyone says Carmelo simply misspoke, or more likely changed his mind or even more likely simply covered his ass under criticism but like I say I'm not sure why semantically it's that big a deal. He says the contract is ridiculous. If he amends that to offering that contract is ridiculous he's still expressing the same sentiment, criticizing the offer as too much and Lin not being worth of what he's being offered.

In common parlance he is getting into another grown man's business about how he's handling his own business. Which is the breach of solidarity the writer is talking about. The bottom line is, do you think Carmelo would have publicly dissed another black man's contract, in a situation that affects his own money ZERO, the cap situation on his own team ZERO, affects the availability of other free agents ZERO and affects no one else on the team other than Lin? That's the larger point. I don't think most people even care where Carmelo dotted his i's and crossed his t's it's that sentiment that seems weird to the original writer.

3 people like this.
  5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I hate when people cry racism about energy little thing. That desensitizes people to real racism, which is absolutely present in the Lin situation.

The nba has belonged to the African American athlete for decades now. The game. The fame. The money. It sure as hell rankled melo that Lin got all that love from the Knicks fans, more love with more intensity than he ever got. It is also sure as hell that Lin doesn't fit into the club, and that's why melo mouthed off about someone else's contract and money.

This is one of the better articles about lins departure.

1 person likes this.
  6. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

It's clearly racism. It's always clearly racism.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

An article based on the speculative misinterpretation of Carmelo's use of the word "ridiculous." Okay, GQ, less of Jemele Hill and more of Kate Upton wet tee pics please.

8. bloop

bloop Member

I half agree with you here. But in that case, if just talking about it somehow makes it worse then we as a society shouldn't ever talk about apartheid, Jim Crow, the Holocaust, racism, homophobia, sexism, xenophobia, colonialism, zionism, pan arabism or anything else. Ironically, this is precisely the attitude in Asia lol. don't air dirty laundry... it's bad but try to take care of it behind the scenes.

The writer never said that Carmelo is racist. He said that players' attitude towards Lin getting paid seems to diverge from normal decorum among black players which is to let a man handle his business and be happy when a brother gets paid. It's an observation it's perfectly legit to put it out there. I can understand how that might make you feel uncomfortable or even defensive but it's not like it's destructive to the world to point out some black dude out there might have let bias affect his perception and actions

I don't think Carmelo is a hard racist. I mean the dude is even bicultural.. black and Puerto Rican I don't think this cat is out there trying to buy eggrolls from Jeremy Lin but "this guy isn't one of us" "this guy is overrated" "this guy is getting something because he aint a brother" Yeah I believe that.

You are the one speculating about the possible meaning of ridiculous. For most of the world it isn't that deep, really.

The article isn't about ridiculous. It's about the behavior of criticizing or commenting on Lin's contract at all. If you want to dig up some examples of other NBA players dissing other teammates contracts have at it hoss.

Then we can all be indignant together picking apart the verbiage to explain what he said wasn't what he said or if he did say that it wasn't what he meant and if it is what he meant he doesn't really feel like that

1 person likes this.
  9. napalm06

Classic slippery slope fallacy.

People can talk about whatever they'd like, of course. I just hope people avoid manufacturing grudges against Carmelo or anyone else. Linsanity is bound to bring up the same themes that Yao Ming did. I'm talking about people taking things personal when it's really not necessary - I don't think that ever solved apartheid, especially on the internet.

This thread already has 7 5-star votes and it doesn't seem to be a totally grounded article to me. Just sayin'.

#49 napalm06, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It was a ignorant contract because of what he's produced. No one ever said that about yao ming contract because he was a hell of a player. Also factored in this from my view is this wasn't a basketball issue. If this was about having the best basketball player, dragic would've been resigned. This was about the empty seats in the toyota center. I hope lin plays well and outperforms lowry and dragic,but I doubt it. We will see soon enough.

11. napalm06

That's basically my opinion too. If Lin averages 18 points and 6 assists, which I think is very possible, I'll eat crow and be a supporter. But there's a feeling in the air that skepticism is going to be met with hostility for a while.

12. Raven

Raven Member

If the Rox were obsessed with getting an Asian player, why didn't they keep Lin when they had him?

Oh, you mean they want Lin because he can flat out ball.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is totally true. I've mellowed a bit on melo. Still an idiot for not being able to avoid loaded media questions.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yi Jian Yi is going to get a max contract soon. Just wait and see.

15. macho87

macho87 Member

Melo is pretty much the player hater of the year.

16. SlimJim25

SlimJim25 Member

"He doesn't understand what it means for millions of people in this country, and around the world, to watch the first Asian-American superstar athlete excel on the highest stage, and what it means to have that player wearing the uniform of his team."

Lmfao

17. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

I dont think Melo's comments were racist per se, rather said with a sense of animosity because Lin was getting all the attention from the media, fans etc. He is an insecure person and probably the most overrated "superstar" in the league. He is a ball hog iso style player that just kills team ball , not to mention that he absolutely blows on defense. Thus when Jeremy Lin started getting mentioned in the media/fans as having contributed towards average players like Novak having career games he got butthurt and started spewing out stupid crap at the first chance he got. IMO his comments were not racist but a sign of jealousy.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I totally agree........

19. WNBA

WNBA Member

definitely racism.

20. delta69er

delta69er Member

I wouldn't necessarily say that it is racism, but it is a stigma of Asian ballplayers out there that other black, white, etc ballplayers out there have.

As a Chinese person who's grown up playing basketball (99% of the time, me being the only Asian person out there on the court), I can tell you from first-hand experience that as soon as players of other races see you walk on the court, their first notion is "that kid's probably garbage" and sometimes, no matter how well you play, you never truly get the respect you deserve because in the other players' heads, you're "supposed" to suck because of your heritage and the way you look, and you're just having one good game.

Just my 2 cents.

1 person likes this.