1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Not now...maybe like 3 months from now...

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Has Asik signed the offer sheet yet? And if so, when is the Bulls deadline?

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks. I thought he signed his before Lin

Didn't know they had different days

Rocket River

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Jon Leur and Jerome Jordan waived

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

per JF --

6. Spooner

Spooner Member

VERY interesting article on Asik.

QUESTION #2: Is Omer Asik a substantially more effective defender than Tyson Chandler or Dwight Howard? from @sstewart1617

The obvious answer — simply thinking through their impact — would be no. But when you look at the numbers, things get a bit confusing. Asik is an extremely effective defender. Looking at the overall numbers of team defensive performance when he’s on the floor, the Bulls had a defensive rating of 100 with Asik off the floor and a rating of 91 with him on it — that’s the difference between a top-5 defense and a generationally revolutionary one. Tyson Chandler’s on/off court splits were actually pretty bad this season — with him on the court, the Knicks had a defensive rating of 102. Off the court? 100. Yes, the Knicks actually managed to defend better with Tyson off the court than on the court. In the case of Howard, though, you can argue that his numbers are slightly more impressive — the Magic’s Dwight-off-floor defensive rating is 109, which over a full season would likely rate out as one of the worst defenses in the league. With him on the court, they have a defensive rating of 101 — top-5.

If you break the stats down into individual defensive stats per Synergy, Asik looks like a superior defender as well — he sports the 24th ranked overall PPP rating of any player in the league, at 0.71 points per possession allowed. Tyson has the 104th ranked at 0.80, and Dwight has the 49th ranked rating at 0.74. His rating primarily comes off the strength of his recoveries on spot-up shooters — NBA players score only 0.59 PPP against Asik on spot-up plays. Chandler is a bit better at isolation defense, and a bit better at defending post-ups — Asik schools him on defending the roll man in the Pick and Roll, as well as spot-ups. Between Dwight and Asik, the same general format applies — Dwight is better in isolation and against post-ups, but worse than Asik at guarding spot-ups and roll men. Overall, would I say Asik is more effective? I don’t think so. He plays most of his minutes against bench men, and his minutes aren’t meaninglessly low — his foul rate is extremely high, and if he can’t stay on the court, that does limit his effective value. But you could make a somewhat compelling argument that Asik is better than Dwight or Chandler at defending the pick and roll, or alternatively, at recovering on spot-up shooters. Which is a valuable skill. I’m not sure I really dislike Asik’s contract — if he can work on the foul trouble, he can be a top-10 center in this league. Getting one of those for a sub-eight digit contract is phenomenal.

http://gothicginobili.com/?p=3383

3 people like this.
  7. rocketblood713

So are Rockets still in the Howard or Bynum talks or are they ready to tank ?????

8. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

What a great plan.

We sign Asik and suppose we get Dwight. If Dwight bolts after next season, we keep Asik.

If Dwight stays, we trade Asik and upgrade elsewhere!

Beautiful.

9. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Time to update your sig. Half of your lineup is gone. I'm not upset even though I loved those guys.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong with sinking a decent amount of money into a young defensive rebounding center, especially when you have none on the roster. If Dwight or Bynum comes, that gives us quality depth at the most important position on the floor. Plus both of those guys have injury concerns. If I'm going to sink any extra money into a position, it's going to be C.

1 person likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with it. Nothing particularly awesome about it, given the center in question. Kind of a meh type move. He can certainly be a meaningful part of a championship squad. But as a meaningful complimentary piece. If DM makes the moves to turn Asik into a valued and fairly paid complimentary piece, then it will be a great signing. If Asik remains one of our better and more highly paid players, the team has issues.

12. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

This! The Center position is the most important and hard to come by. Therefore, pay Asik, acquire Howard, and you are 2-deep at the most important on the floor. Not many teams can say they are truly 2-deep at Center.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Either way he's a valuable Trade asset because of his age and contract. $8 million per year for a defensive center is below average.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Most important position on the floor?

How many titles have the Magic won with easily the best player at this alleged most important position?

How many titles do the Rockets have from Yao Ming?

Who is the Miami Heat's center?

Centers are more valuable due to scarcity, the position itself is not more valuable.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He isn't a valuable trade asset. No idea why people think that. He either proves he is worth it, and we keep him, or he proves he isn't and he is very difficult to trade.

16. lalala902102001

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

And to the point made by others above, that's how valuable the center position is and how hard it is to find a decent one. Teams spend lots of money on guys like Darko and Kwame Brown.

Giving Asik $8 mil per is not madness, it's a pretty low risk investment considering the lack of quality players at the position.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

I think it's ridiculous people are trying to look for negative things about this deal. There is nothing negative about it. By signing him, what do we lose?

19. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

I guess we are out of the Dwight race now?

20. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

far from it