1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets consider amnestying Scola, as talks with the Magic grow "serious"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 11, 2012.

1. chef0010

chef0010 Rookie

nah dirk nowitzki and kobe bryant are the only 2 players with no trade clauses

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Thanks, I forgot about the Toronto Pick. It has value but I don't know that it's a gamechanger. I think Toronto has a shot at playoffs, but if not, the pick will be in the 8-11 range. I don't see FA's signing up to play with the kids squad. the FA's of consequence will start teaming up in cities outside of LA and NY.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Correct. According to CBAFAQ.com

Only Kobe and Dirk have them right now. Dwight signed his current contract after his rookie scale contract ended, so he obviously had less than the required 8 years NBA experience.

4. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

It looks like Turkoglu and Duhon are unguaranteed in 2013/2014. So they could be cut after the season, and may even be attractive pieces to flip in a mid-season trade (essentially expiring contracts, right?). Morey would only have to carry these two contracts through the 2012/2013 season, if he wasn't able to get rid of them earlier.

I doubt Morey would take on J. Richardson or Q. Richardson; those two have guaranteed contracts AND player options. No way Morey handcuffs himself by taking these two on.

Edit: According to shamsports, it looks like Turkoglu and Duhon are only partially unguaranteed in their final year - would still cost $7.5 million in 2013/2014 season instead of $15.5 million.

#304 Mack, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...see my post to Deckard a few pages back. Where is he going to walk to? Brooklyn can't sign him now and none of the other options of teams with cap space are wildly attractive compared to Houston. Plus he would walk away from $58mil as stated before.

All this "Dwight will only play for one team" talk is because his camp was trying to steer the trade and discourage other suitors because they know that Dwight would be crazy not to take the $58 mil. You think his agent(or any agent) is going to advise him to walk and miss out on the commission on that 58mil? He may walk, but the odds are slim - he would have to be traded to a pretty bad org to do that. If Orlando keeps him, I actually think he would walk.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

A "no trade" clause is only allowed if a player has been in the league for at least 8 years and has been with the same team for at least 4 years. Howard just completed his 8th season, so obviously he was't eligible for a no trade clause back when he signed his current deal.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, give me a ****ing break. I'm sure you've never read any out of date information on the internet and then had to correct a post. Why did I bring up that we would have to pay his salary? Because we do. In my opinion, there has to be a limit as to what we're willing to do to get Howard for a rental, and it is a rental, although I understand the reasons why it would be difficult for him to walk away from millions of dollars at the end of this season. The fact remains that he could. While there may not be a limit to what you are willing to do to get Howard, there is for me.

8. Possum

Possum Member

WOW! How pathetic is that? The station that takes over the Rockets broadcasting has host that not only don't have a clue but throw out false information about the team. What a ****ing joke! :mad: Someone that calls in should call and tell them what idiot's they are.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Dwight does have 8 seasons of NBA experience, but he did NOT have eight years before signing his current contract, which means he was not eligible for a no trade clause.

10. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

If we get D12, I would think we would keep Lee since he is friends with Dwight. If anything, D12 owes Lee bigtime after that NASTY accidental elbow that knocked him out. He can convince him to stay. :p

But seriously, not sure what our status is on Lee. Im not seeing any updates

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He'll be on the heat shortly.

12. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Houston seems to think that they could somehow convince Dwight to sign an extension with the Rockets. In free agency, where exactly will Dwight go? The Mavericks appear to be the only real threat to sign Dwight Howard and all they have to present Dwight with is a 35 year old Dirk Nowitzki, is really worth leaving $30 million on the table to leave Houston for that? Reportedly the only places Dwight will receive his big fat check from Adidas is if he goes to Brooklyn/New York or Los Angeles, neither of those teams are in position to sign him and do note that Dallas isn't on that list which makes it harder for Dwight to leave that extra $30 million. Its not like Houston is a small market either, we're the 4th largest city in the entire United States AND twice the size of Dallas AND have no state income taxes AND are the most marketable team in China still to this day (the most populated country in the world at that too). I'm not guaranteeing that Dwight will resign but this is what I believe is Houston's thought process at the moment and why they will risk possibly taking on a rental for Dwight.

It was reported earlier that Houston intends to pair Dwight with some all-star level talent, not sure who exactly but previously they were targeting Eric Gordon in free agency. If the Rockets have enough young talent left over from a Dwight Howard trade then they will chase a 2nd all-star. No chance they leave Dwight all by himself and exhaust ALL of their assets in a deal or else he will surely skip town.

Bynum is clearly the smaller risk but I think a combination of the Lakers not having enough assets to compensate Houston in a three way deal, the Rockets being sick of mediocrity and Dwight obviously being the better player and superstar is behind them willing to go all in.

13. amcfigo

amcfigo Member

who can tell me the relationship between amnesty of scola and salary cap

I can't understand how could rocket trade with orl directly even if rocket accept three big rabbish contract?

turkglu 13m(2y) duhon 3.5m(2y) richardson 6.5m(3y) totally 40m

k-m 13m rookie 0.7---2m lott pick 3m

how to equal?????

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

With Lowry, Dragic, Martin, and Scola gone... who is our great role players that surround Dwight? Are we really relying on Parson, D-Mo, and rookies (whoever we have left) to step up that much?

I thought the plan was to keep at least one or two of our glorified role players and make a run at the title. That way it'll be an easier decision for Dwight to resign with us. Now we are just clearly relying on the money....

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess the only guys left on our roster from last season will be Parsons and Patterson.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

NO Trade Clauses - Unless the new CBA changed it

Restricted free agents who sign for ONE YEAR with their team have VETO power on trades.

Remember when Devean George held up the 1st Jason Kidd trade to Dallas because he vetoed getting traded, then they had to sign Keith Van Horn from retirement to make the deal?

I'm pretty sure thats how that went down. Yes a 1 year bench scrub can have that kinda of influence.

But only a couple players have a FULL No Trade Clause. NOT Howard

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I don't see the point in cutting scola, we would basically have Howard and a bunch of scrubs.

I do, however, think there's a much better chance he stays here now that the Nets are out of the mix... Obviously

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Don't jinx it.

19. amcfigo

amcfigo Member

what would rocket get from amnest of scola?

rocket even have no chips equaling to howard +3 veteran

20. pli777

pli777 Member

Cutting the most loyal member of your team to get a gruntled a star who has no desire to play for your city?

Way to go. I am not a fan of the move if it happens.

1 person likes this.