1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is going Vegan counterproductive for Arian?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Jul 7, 2012.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...tir-by-going-vegan?module=HP11_content_stream

The above article talks about our favorite (or most of ours) RB...It is one thing to take strangers to the rodeo, or "hey, twitter followers, let's go to the chimney rock 24 hr. fitness to shoot some hoops" this past July 4th- which btw is pretty cool ... but this decision, I don't know . .

I wonder if any vegans can tell me their first hand opinions on this. Could it hurt him?, help him?-

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It'd be hard to be a lineman and be vegan. The sheer volume of food you'd have to consume to keep your weight up without using animal products would be staggering. But for Arian, I don't think it will matter much.

3. conquistador#11

prince fielder is a vegan. One of terminator's body building buddies was a vegan.
    It will not hurt him. shoot I think there are a couple of linemen that have been vegan.

4. SacTown

SacTown Member

He'll probably gain weight. Most vegans consume a ton of carbohydrates which put the weight on you. And it's usually not muscle.

5. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

He can get the best nutritionists anyways, so I don't think it should be a concern.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Does this mean he gets vegan powers

7. AFS

AFS Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vqqGZBRBLcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Most vegans also do not have access to a nutritionist on a daily basis. Arian Foster is a bright person -- he's not going to start eating nothing but potatoes and corn to replace the meat. If anything he'll struggle to keep his weight up.

Veggies, fruit, and nuts ftw. I eat meat myself but a diet high in those three categories is sufficient.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That's the first comparison that came to mind.

The thing that semi-bothers me is that he made the decision after he signed his contract. Similar to eating like a slob, the team has a right to be concerned with a big change in his diet.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The problem I have is
    1. The team already has a nutritionist and
    2. Vast majority of those advocating vegan is based on animal cruelty with health being some side benefit.

If he gets a knowledgeable person, the only issue will be his willingness to work harder eating. How is that gonna work on the road, team meals, etc. I know they have two lines for food at Reliant, but neither is vegan. One is weight loss the other is normal diet.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You cannot be a vegan and maintain the size and strength of your former meat eating self. Bad idea Arian.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Herschel walker is vegan, doesn't lift weights, and eats once a day and dude is ripped at age 50.

14. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

yeah, but you don't know which one of his many personalities this is. he probably has several other personalities that only eat horse meat and are workout freaks

1 person likes this.
  15. VBG

VBG Member

As long as he eats right it doesn't matter at all. Let the dude live his life.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I bet this doesn't last through the season.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The brain is about 60% saturated fat, so when you have a diet that lacks saturated fat (such as vegan) you can suffer from depression and other mental illnesses.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

the texans have a sports nutritionist, so I they will take care of Arian Foster, and can get all the food he needs to stay on shape, even if its expensive.

I would be more concerned about Duane Brown, than about Arian Foster.
    to be a linemen, you have to be big, so I hope he doesnt lose a lot of weight by going vegan.

19. Raven

Raven Member

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He's vegetarian, IIRC.

http://www.oprah.com/oprahradio/Tony-Gonzalez-Eats-Mostly-Vegan-Audio (2 minute mark)

He's not a straight vegan, just eats responsibly. He raised the same issue I brought up, animal products/protein make keeping your weight up (as in, your physique, not just lbs) a lot easier. So he's found a nice balance. I hope Arian ends up making it work for him, too.

#20 DonnyMost, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012