1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MOTHAF*****G MOSQUITOS!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blurr#7, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Exactly! Not only are they good pest control, they're a tourist attraction. Win all around.

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Sounds about right. I've seen a lot of those crane flies (aka mosquito hawks).

I still haven't seen many mosquitoes... but I fully expect to soon.

3. k-money

k-money Member

you mean those big ones?

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Naw! I mean regular blood sucking, west nile virus carrying mosquitos!! The are big but hell we are in Houston, The mosquito hawks are the big crazy looking ones but I'm fine with those, they're actually helping.

I even put of some OFF and I swear it's like they've developed an immunity to it.

5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

mosquito hawks don't actually eat mosquitoes. only dragonflies

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Larval crane flies eat mosquito larva, but that's it, yeah. Still doesn't stop me from calling them that (it's a regional thing, I assume).

8. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Bumping this thread because I dont know about others but I am getting eaten alive. I am in Brazoria county and I can't even get from the garage to the car in our driveway without getting swarmed. We have to rush to get into the car and even then a bunch of them get in.

Should I even bother getting the OFF clip ons? Do they work?
    I have Terminix so I called them out to just to treat the perimiter and hopefully repel these beasts. I know you cant get rid of them but I just need to create a small barrier around the house.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's been brutal in the backyard. I got bit on the face twice yesterday and I was only outside for a minute or 2.

I use foggers from time to time and have some yard spray but i'm not sure how effective those are

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I live in Pearland, and my 2 year old gets HUGE bumps when a mosquito bites him. He looks like Margarito post-Pacquiao when they bite him in the face.

Then we have a newborn who is crying enough as is, but have to also look for mosquitoes that are biting him as well. Sucks for him b/c he doesn't have the motor skillz to scratch or smack at the bugs yet.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Worst I've ever seen and I'm a life long Houstonian. This is absolutely unbearable. All in my car, my house and one even bit me while I was asleep last night.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I tried out the Off! Clip-On and it actually worked.

[​IMG]

Benadryl.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have to sit outside with my three dogs for at least 20 minutes before they will use the restroom. So I just have to deal with getting the crap bit out of me because that is preferable to hearing my lady get pissed off that the dogs peed/pooped in the house again.

#firstworldproblems I know, but it still sucks ass.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i've read that spraying listerine is effective. gonna have to try that.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's the small price we pay for the rains knocking us down to 80 all weekend while the rest of the country was getting scorched to death.

It will never be as bad as it was in the aftermath of Allison. That was a biblical plague.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Remove standing water, flush all remaining water to the drainage systems.

Eat less SWEETs and less odor-releasing fruits and you'll be invisible. Eat more garlic and onion, and they will not even touch you. :eek: Old home remedy is remedial.
    Isn't the surgery to put it into your hip (like this here ^ woman did) more expensive?!?!?! :eek:

;)

17. Blake

Installed a mosquito system in the backyard three months ago and have no mosquitos in the yard. Best money I have ever spent!

They still hang out in the front yard, though

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've been thinking about doing this. Do you have a link to what you installed?

19. Blake

I had a company come out and do it. Well, actually my wife took care of it while she was on maternity leave. I can get the company information when I get home this evening.

They have a barrel full of repellent (not harmful to humans) and set up misters all along my back fence/back of the house and in some trees. It has a timer and mists three times a day and you can manually have it mist if you plan on being outside at any point with the push of a button.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

nothing was worse that the week after Tropical Storm Allison. That was truly unbelievable.