1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 NBA FINALS - Heat vs. Thunder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 713, Jun 9, 2012.

?

Predictions?

1. Heat in 4

4 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Heat in 5

14 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Heat in 6

48 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Heat in 7

31 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. OKC in 4

15 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. OKC in 5

32 vote(s)
    8.4%
  7. OKC in 6

170 vote(s)
    44.9%
  8. OKC in 7

65 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I was shocked at the "level" the Heat played. I have watched a ton of their games and this series was the best they have EVER played. Yes, I have seen spurts,but nothing like this. Likely the four best games they have ever played. I truly thought the thunder would wax them, not even close. The Thunder role players didn't show up. Scotty didn't seem up to the challenge, but more than anything, the Heat took it to another level, one I have seldom witnessed.

2. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Were you shocked at the level the Mavs played at in the Finals last year?

MIA game 6, 7 vs. BOS? MIA game 4 @ IND and every game since then...

The great teams figured it out and start playing at that level. Shouldn't be shocked.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

The answer to all your questions is no. In the last four games the Heat have been in a different gear, one I have rarely seen, and I saw the Celtics win all those championships.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Shocked? Outside of game 5 where the role players hit every open 3s, they didn't play above their heads. They choked game 1, nearly choked game 2. Shot 37% in game 3 and couldn't make a jumpshot to save their lives. Game 4 was down by 10 b/c again they couldn't make jumper but FT shooting saved them. Game 5 was a game they played above their heads b/c they made every 3 they put up.

OKC was just too young and inexperienced. They didn't play with discipline offensively, and relied primarily on fastbreaks to initiate their runs. And they didn't play defense or rebound the ball.

The Heat struggle v. teams that play discipline ball, defense, and rebound. That's why they (esp. Lebron) usually struggles v. Boston. OKC plays perfectly into the Heat's hands. Loves to run, loves to iso, loves to get quick offense. Miami's D feasts off of that. It was just the perfect matchup. OKC will learn from this.

5. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

THIS.

Knowing Dirk's history, I don't see how you could not lol.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I expected the Thunder to make the Finals, but I didn't expect them to get smoked like that. I figured they would lose it in 6 or 7, because they weren't mentally tough enough. When the Rockets beat them this year in OKC, I said to myself... there is no way that is a championship caliber team. Sure enough, they folded like an even cheaper card table than I thought they were. They're young though, and only going to get better, even if they lose a few pieces along the way. Hope this develops into an interesting rivalry now that the old guard is officially dead.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So if OKC is a cheap card table, what does that make us?

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Answer is obvious. Why must we always trash our team constantly if we criticize a better team?

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

An even cheaper card table?

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

11. SacTown

SacTown Member

They played at this level when they had to against Indiana and Boston this year. They played at this level last year when they had to against Chicago and Boston. They thought they could just turn it off and on against Dallas last year but they got caught slippin. If you remember they won game 1 and had a 20 point lead in the 2nd half of game 2 against Dallas then Dallas won that game somehow and then Miami even won game 3 and relaxed. The Dallas got hot and it was over.

In the OKC series, Miami turned it on and never relaxed. They learned last year that relaxing could get them burned. You were way wrong on your OKC prediction. This was a mismatch all the way, and Miami punked them 4-1.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I was half joking bro, calm down.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Lol. funny.:grin:

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I wouldn't be so harsh about the game 5 blowout. OKC was down 9 points midway in the 3rd quarter before things collapsed. The Heat were historic from long-range and there was no way OKC could stay close for 48 minutes.

Four years ago, the Lakers were royally nuked by the Celtics in game 6 by by 39 points. They trailed by 23 at halftime. Talk about a lack of "mental toughness", "folding like a cheap card table" and "no way that is a championship caliber team". Something else also happened beforehand: With less than a month to go in the season, they lost two consecutive homes games to the two worst road teams in the NBA. By your measure, Woe was them. But reality: They won the next two NBA championships.

This harsh judgement on OKC because game 5 was a 2nd half blowout is misplaced. Next season is a new day and a 10-15 minute stretch last night doesn't reflect on their whole year or character. I'm as disappointed as anyone they lost, but lets not jump off the deep end.

15. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

As much as i hate to... I have to agree with SacTown. Miami never let up and Bron has matured. I was hoping they would get caught slippin again but they smoked OKC. This is not to say that i dont think SA wouldnt have beaten them b/c in all unbiased honesty SA would at least have taken them to 7 games before losing.
    I really never understood how OKC were the favorites going into this. The only way Miami would have been underdogs is if Bosh was out the whole series.
    Hats off to Lebron and SacTown. I had a bad feeling Miami would be the 1995 Rockets and OKC the Orlando Magic.

1 person likes this.
  16. HorneR

HorneR Member

Alls I gots ta say is, at least Fish didn't win another one. I can take solace in that fact.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

18. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

Maybe I am just hoping that this will be cathartic, good chance it is just a venting.

I am depressed. This is the worst of all possible outcomes. Rockets make a reverse run out of the playoffs. The Western conference looks like a lock to win it all, maybe with the Spurs going fo, fo, fo, only to win ten in a row and lose four in a row. When did that ever happen?

Bulls fall out immediately, the Heat win, but struggle to make it to the finals. The young Thunder pull the upset over the Spurs, so all is well until they get crushed by the Heat.

This is basketball equivalent of the Soviet Union winning the cold war. Power to the few. Let's let three guys win championships and **** the fan base of all the other teams.

I think that there of course will be all the talk of LeBron taking them to the promised land. The media has the perfect story. The best player in the league finally winning it all. Unfortunately they are selling a tainted star on an illegitimate team playing in a league that has become circumspect.

All my wining aside, I wonder about the matchup question. The Thunder had athletes superior to Dallas, yet they could not turn the Heat into a jumpshooting team.

Maybe the Thunder should have played some zone during the year to have it in their toolbag should they have to defend the Heat.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

THE DEATH STARE

Durant had it after game 4 while his mom was hugging him. That look. Just staring off into space. The same look Bynum had on the bench as the Thunder were burying the Lakers. That solem look. Just staring off into space. That's when you know it's over. Thunder were dead after game 4.

20. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Congrats to Miami. They just had the Thunders' number all series long. Battier shot the ball out of his mind and Miami conjured just enough plays to close out OKC.

Well done and enjoy the moment Miami!