1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Morris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, May 6, 2012.

1. onreego

onreego Member

This thread is derailing much like the one that's about DD...I mean feigan on SR610

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's the main reason I wouldn't want Gasol, if he isn't going to be giving maximum effort or unfavorable of his new team. We do not need him, he's not going to bring us a title by himself or even with a star. Most of all, couldn't it be possible that his fulfilled the way he currently is. He already has two titles and has tasted life on contender in a big city. Will his desire be there playing on a lesser team with lesser players with absolutely no championship aspirations.

You have to weather expectations.

The way he played in the last two playoffs seasons were telling. Most of all, he cannot be our main guy, if we really are trying to become a contender.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This thread needs to be renamed so people like me don't come in expecting some honest Morris discussion.

He's an interesting player and the jury is definitely still out on him. I'm not too down on him yet.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Should be involved in a trade to Sac or Boston. While we still can.

5. dmoneybangbang

I was in the Gasol camp previously and feel that we can get a somewhat similiar, younger PF and/or C at this point.

I just wanted to point out how many people on here incorrectly assumed Gasol was going to be THE guy. But Morey never intended for Gasol to be that guy to lead us to contention but to be that strong frontcourt anchor.

6. dmoneybangbang

Definitely interesting. I certainly wouldn't mind him being moved but wouldn't mind seeing if he has what it takes to play SF. Either way, it's impossible to get an accurate picture of him yet.

7. onreego

onreego Member

Yeah, this thread is really pointless at this point in the offseason (unless of course, he's traded draft night). No one on here has any information or can say for sure that Morris is a bust, with maybe the exception of Clutch. It really has turned into a "what if" and trade type subject. At this point it's really all speculation and assumptions.

I say give him a true offseason with the staff and see what happens. Revisit this come preseason.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I wrote this back in late April, but I thought it was relevant enough to add here:

On Marcus Morris, for what it's worth, I had a chance to ask J.B. Bickerstaff recently about Morris as a prospect going forward. J.B. honestly (and I really think he is being genuine here) thinks that Morris could be a very good player. As in, a primary go-to scorer. While he warned against using the comparison to mean that he'd be a similar caliber player, Bickerstaff reiterated that the coaching staff sees a lot of Carmelo Anthony in Marcus's game (and even reviews game footage of Melo with him). According to Bickerstaff, Morris has the ability to create space in advance of his shot, a skill that few other players on the Rockets have. He's a guy a team could give the ball to and go get a basket.

Again, I'll be the first to admit that I was PISSED that the Rockets took Morris over Kawhi Leonard; but I understood the need to swing for a home run (Morris as a "power 3", with a decent chance he'd bust out at that position and end up as a mediocre PF) rather than go for the solid double (I thought and still think that Leonard was a safe bet as a defensive stopper SF and, best case scenario, could even be another Shawn Marion).

Here's hoping that Marcus Morris takes that "next step" over the summer and comes back as a significant part of the rotation (or at worst a key piece of a trade package for a superstar).

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If you want to play morris, you need to pair him with another tweener type. The reason you play 2 tweeners is because matchups. So you play morris with beasley,josh smith,anthony randolph types. Play him with a guy without a position and on defense, you find the best matchup. You can't play him with a defined. Position player like they have now.j

10. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Marcus Morris was the correct move. It actually still is. We don't need solid starters, we need superstars, or at least a guy that can be elite offensively without refs helping. Marcus Morris can be that guy to get you points at the end of games and also play adequate defense. Remember, this guy was a BEAST in EFFICIENCY in college. It is very rare that you get a guy that can dribble/drive AND is efficient. This move must be made.

The Leonards...are not really that rare; we even found somebody in the 2nd round that's either at his level or better. We are in a position to gamble for that home run. We don't need solid role players...everybody on our team is one.

Again, Marcus Morris has the rare ability to create off the dribble, separate from defenders, possess a variety of moves on the perimeter and post, and has the ability to knock down shots. This is a rare combination in a 6'9 SF built like a tank. He also likes to play defense. You just don't see these types of players very often. We had to gamble and even at this point, it seems like we made the right pick.

1 person likes this.
  11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If he was that, he wouldn't have been in the D-League. How many superstars with rare ability don't crack the rotation on a .500 team?

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Time will tell.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What if we don't trade Morris, make these two picks(or more)and those players get PT over Morris? What then? Because that is a huge possibility.
    As i mentioned before, he got adequate playing time and didn't show enough for me to see a star of any sort. All i see is a guy who needs to play the 4 and he will be three to four years into his career before he figures it out.

14. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

First, we were trying to make the playoffs, which was the first priority. Secondly, Parsons was simply a better fit with Martin starting. Third, with the shortened NBA season, it may take a player twice as long to adjust, due to shortened practices, etc. Do not make Parsons an example, since it's rare that a 2nd round rookie can have an ability to be Battier lite in his rookie year.

Moreover, when was the last time you saw a team with a bunch of average or above average starters? Many of our players could start on other teams. This is not very common for a lottery-bound team. It is not just the ability that matters. If that was the case, T Will would be playing every game. You have to account for the situation, work ethic, and developmental time in real games as well....and unfortunately many of these factors affected Marcus negatively. We'll see next year.

15. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

We may always draft more SFs and yes they may end up being better, but it is Morey's job to figure out how to do the draft without hindering Marcus. I saw him in game action as well. How can you tell what a player can and can't do in garbage time? I saw glimpses in the GS game where he did well in one on one situations, but we need a lot more minutes to figure out if he can do this efficiently at the NBA level.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Greg Smith get more PT than Morris???

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Coach, the man had one shortened season....
    Usually judge players after their third year, maybe second..... that is too early.....
    All we can say he is not NBA ready yet ......

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You just want Jeff Taylor, but again the Front Office has to WANT HIM.....
    Small chance Morris is going to be very good, good chance that is going to be solid.... and we can trade him later

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I just see better talent in this years draft around that same pick. If we could entice another team with a package deal involving Morris for a trade up in the draft, i would do it.
    Lowry, Pats, Morris and future Dallas pick to Sac for #5.
    Get r' done Morris!!!

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

It depends. Can you name me an NBA superstar making the rotation while switching positions from college to pro in a year where NBA had a lockout that resulted in no summer camp for a team that runs a NDBL team?