1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Draft Rumors: Would Portland do a Lowry trade?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Egghead, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Egghead

Egghead Member

interesting stuff from chad ford insider

Cleveland and Portland would love to trade up to #2, Bobcats might be better off dealing for multiple picks. Portland with picks 6 and 11 might have more reason to do so "to get their guy".

Wizards set where they are.

Kings might stay in draft if T-Rob is available, otherwise this is a team that could trade down.

Blazers might want to move up because Lillard is too much of a reach at #6. They might do a Lowry trade if Houston wants pick #6, but Houston already has two picks. #6 might be too much to give up for Collison or Bledsoe.

New Warriors ownership likely to go for a sure bet than wild upside (like they have done in the past). Look for Sullinger or Terrence Jones here, with Jones gaining ground here/ The Warriors also LOVE Royce White, but he has a fear of flying and has already bailed on one workout. He has to conquer that fear to have an NBA career. But if he did get on a plane and show the Warriors he can travel with the team, he soars up the board all the way to #7.

And one other interesting tidbit: Agents are more concerned than ever with fit and franchise stability: They are very leery of the state of the Charlotte and Sacramento franchises, and may steer clients away from them.

As I said in my blog today, Miles Plumlee wowed everyone in workouts in Minnesota. Here's part of reason. Measured with a 41 inch vert. Wow

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Wonder who is Portland's guy at #2? But don't see that happening. Charlotte would lose their guy if they traded down to 6. They may be able to get their guy at 4, but not 6.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

goodbye kyle!

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm sure Portland will push for a trade up before a trade out, but still think this question applies:

Kyle Lowry + the 16th pick for the 6th pick — which team says no to that?

NOW, if Portland feels the best value they can get with their cap room is a point guard and are confident they will land their guy (Dragic?), then it may make sense to fill that spot and keep the pick.

As for value, I don't see how Portland could not strongly consider a deal like that.

1 person likes this.
  5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

If not Portland then Sac. It makes to much sense for all the teams involved, I would be VERY surprised if we are picking at 14 and 16 on June 28th.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I hope Portland isn't stupid enough to think they're getting Goran Dragic.

Besides, they can save money in taking Kyle (we'll have to go about $7,000,000+ per on Gogi) and still wind up with a good 1st rounder if they deal with the Rox.

I can't imagine who'd be @ #2 that the Blazers want so badly. They need a center, but Drummond could wind up a slightly better Thabust. His ceiling isn't worth that high a pick. And Lillard'll be gone by 11.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You know I see this trade quite often, but who is it at six you are high on.?

Admittedly, I don't watch college ball, nor am I any sort of scout, but the only guy I would like would be Drummond, who from what I understand is a high risk, high potential guy.

I think the safe route starts being detremental after a while.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

MJ was not happy after the lottery and even has shown desperation. Anthony Davis was the ultimate prize. So now, they probably could afford to trade down in the draft and still get quality players.

http://thoughtsofajeanius.com/2012/...ats-offers-unprecedented-season-ticket-offer/

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/pack_planlist.htmI?l=EN&team=bobcats&selID=95

Gilchrist, Barnes, or Beal is the target players for both or either team. The #2 pick, you have a chance at a really good player.

Portland has #6, #11, #40, and #41 vs. Cleveland's 4th, 33rd, and 34th.

Portland also considering a trade with Nicolas Batum, because he's price tag could get too high.

Golden State also allegedly trying to trade their pick for a quality small forward.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221333/Warriors_Unlikely_To_Use_All_Four_Draft_Picks

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Kyle for number 6 pick IMO is a no brainer. If Portland is willing to do that you do it now before they change their mind, even if you have to throw in number 16.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Bradley Beal or Michael Gilchrist (Nicolas Batum could be on the block).

Why is it stupid to bid for Dragic? They also might chase after Steve Nash, Jeremy Lin, and even Deron Williams. When you think about it, they sort do need a player who is equally as good as Aldridge or better for them to really become a contender.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Portland needs to secure a pg...they dont know what houston will do if they pass up on acquiring lowry. I would think surely Dragic stays here, if the money is about the same, and lowry is traded elsewhere.

I would give up something else instead of the 16th pick, along with Lowry. then package the 6,14,16 for the #2, or is that too much? Then, either draft or trade the #2.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Portland actually has several needs PG, being one of them.

They also need a center, possibly a SF (with Batum, not necessarily coming back), and they need another go-to player at any position (outside of PF).

13. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I would do that trade for the #2 pick. Some might say it's too much, but you have to give something to get something. Plus, I really doubt that the Rockets would want to add 3 more 1st round picks to the roster.

If you could get the #2 pick, who would you select? Would we roll the dice with Kidd-Gilchrist or Andre Drummond? Maybe pick Bradley Beal since the Wizards might pick him at #3? If we used it in a trade for Dwight, would we require him to sign a new deal?

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wonder what they think of Morris? If they see him as a 3 also, maybe we could work a larger trade and include him.

I have no idea who i'd want houston to pick. I don't see a clear cut #2, so perhaps it's better to trade the #2. However, im not sure you can get a great player in return. At the very least, i'd trade down to #3, get something from washington to let them get their guy. This is assuming Morey doesnt see a clear #2 either.

I'm leaning towards Robinson at #2 though...

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I hope we trade up, then finally we have a player that will make an impact now and we get at least lay the Lowry stuff to rest.

16. rockets11champs

Why doesn't charlOtte trade down get Portland picks in 6 and 11 get Harrison Barnes and John Henson next year in lottery try to get pick one or two again and get shabbaz or nerlens Noel
    So line up I. 2013-2014 can be
    C Noel
    PFbiyombo/ Henson
    SF Barnes
    SG Wes matthews from Portland
    PG Kemba
    Or
    C Biyombo
    PF Henson
    SF Barnes
    SG shabbazz
    PG kemba

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'll be a nice and say he's probably not ready to be a starter or someone who can replace Batum.

Beal or Drummond, though for Houston's sake they really do not need #2 pick unless they are willing to part with some quality pieces.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What I mean is, they shouldn't put their hope into thinking he'll sign there, because I honestly don't see McHale/Morey allowing Goran to leave, especially since he (reportedly) loves the Houston area (must be the refineries?) and Lowry, no matter what spin control is delivered, must be on the outs by now.

Portland might set a price for Morey to match (i.e., "they're offering my client this much"; "okay, we'll pay that, come back to Houston and sign"), but that price would be steeper than Lowry.

Of course, they'll want to keep that draft pick, too.

20. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Miles Plumlee looks interesting and this draft is indeed deep.

Lowry should be more than enough for No 6 pick. Whichever team picks No. 6 would be happy to see that player being mentioned as an allstar candidate in a few years(Of course he could be superstar or bust as well). Lowry is already at that stage, and I think he's going to get better.

I checked basketball prospectus' evaluation of Lowry before season, and he's rated very high in advanced statistics. His pre injury performance only elevated his game to true allstar level. He's still young and healthy and on cheap contract, and I would want Portland to throw in a few second round picks plus No. 6 for Lowry and they should be happy about it.