1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Sullinger

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jogo, Apr 21, 2012.

1. lr22

lr22 Member

A taller Chuck Hayes? No, he's a more offensive-minded Kendrick Perkins.
    A really interesting prospect, maybe too slow to play in the today's NBA though.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Too slow???

Signed,

Roy Hibbert

3. lr22

lr22 Member

Height can cover the lack of lateral quickness. Strength can't.
    Though I think he is worth our own pick definitely.

4. jopatmc

Height, eh? But not strength?

Signed,

Charles Barkley

5. jopatmc

lr22,

I really think you're trying to say Jared lacks explosion. That is what I see deficient in his physicality. Explosion. Not height. Not quickness. Not strength. Explosion.

However, even though he lacks the explosion of guys like Dwight, and other power forward types, he is a very, very strong hoss. No single player can deal with his strength on the block. He compensates for his lack of explosion very well with strength and quick feet that get him in his back to the basket moves. He will be one of the 5 best players in this draft.

6. lr22

lr22 Member

I'm talking about his defense. And I think he lacks quickness to some extent.
    He can beat his every match-ups with his bulky body and great finishing skills.
    But defensively, can he deal with NBA's quicker post players and slashers?
    I'm just concerned about the possibility of his becoming a bust, though there is a chance, and I think that's not a low chance, to become one of the most dominant big men in the league in the future.:)

7. jopatmc

Defensively he's not going to be a shot blocker or much of a help defender or really a defensive stud. But he's got plenty of size and smarts to be a good post defender. He will probably need to be paired with a more defensive oriented big.

But just because he isn't a total stud defensively doesn't mean he won't be a great player. ..like Kevin Love...and many others.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not trying to harass you or anything, but you can understand why some might think comparing Sullinger to Charles Barkley and Kevin Love is a huge reach, right? I don't see either player in him.

Other than rebounding, he has zero chance to play like either guy IMO. Sully will never have a perimeter game in the NBA close to either player. I would compare Sullinger to a Sheldon Williams, but with legit offensive skill.

9. jopatmc

He is way more like Barkley than he is like Sheldon.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Comparing him to a HOF player and former MVP just isn't fair. I think there's a decent chance he ends up being a bust.

11. jopatmc

Comparing him to a bust just isn't fair. I think there's a decent chance he ends up being a repeat All-Star.

12. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

While I don't see Jared Sullinger becoming an All-Star, he does possess tools to become a solid contributor. The comparison to Barkley isn't a good one as Barkley could kill you on the post, but most importantly he could put the ball on the floor and beat you. Also, Barkley was a fantastic athlete for a guy of his size. People forget, Charles Barkley had incredible reach for a guy his height and he could definitely get up which attributed to his nickname as the "Round Mound of Rebound". Jared does have offensive skills for a big man, but his athleticism (or lack thereof) is going to hurt him at the next level.

13. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

I'm willing to bet he avgs 14/10 per 36 min in his rookie year

14. jopatmc

Sullinger is going to kill people in the post.

Anytime you compare any rookies to hall of famers it is an unfair comparison. But it is even more unfair to compare them to busts and players that are almost the exact opposite of them. Sheldon is a defensive player. He hangs his hat, what there is of it, on defense. Sullinger is an offensive player. He will hang his hat on 20/10.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think Sullinger is going to be a terrific defender. He is not going to block a lot of shots but he is a smart defender. He will be able to drive his opponent away from the basket and much like Chuck Hayes, he use positioning and strength . I see as a someone who will be a great man on man defender.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

See, defense is where i have questions about Sully. I agree that he is gonna be a blue-chip post player; a true power forward, but given his consistant foul trouble in college, I have serious concerns about his ability to defend in the post.

To address another point some posters are making, Sully is not a center. He's 6'9" and he doesn't block shots. His natural position in the NBA is the 4; and if he can work on his defense, he shoud be a good pro.

17. crash5179

Completely disagree he is a center

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

20$ tip jar bet? im willing to be he's going to average under that

19. lr22

lr22 Member

disagree: 280 lbs, 7-1 wingspan. Aren't these enough to play 5 in the NBA?
    agree: If he can work on his defense, he should be a monster.

20. crash5179

Yes he can play center and I can't imagine that he will not play center. The man weighs 280 lbs. he carries a load with him. I don't think he is athletic enough to play power forward on a nightly bases in the NBA anyway.