1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Mavs get Dwight and Deron......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketfan713, May 1, 2012.

1. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

Obviously everyone has heard of rumors in regards to Dwight or Deron (possibly both) going to the Mavs this offseason. Dwight has 1 more year left on his contract then he is a FA, but he might be gone before that this offseason.

My question is if the Mavs were to get both of these guys or 1 of them, how you would react to the situation assuming we don't trade up in the draft this year or get anybody this offseason via trade or free agency?

2. ThaShark316_28

You have to do what the other 29 teams will do: Go in other directions. All you can do.

As a fan, you congratulate the Maverick brass (if you don't hate them) and move on. Once it happens (if it did), let it go and move on. Can't cry over spilled milk asking "WHY?!?" when what's done is already done.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Mavs have virtually no assets of any value to swap to the Magic in a hypothetical exchange for Howard. I'm sure that's what he and Deron might want, but Howard gave up that opportunity when he waived his option and subsequently, leverage over where he goes. The Dallas roster, outside of Dirk (untouchable), is either trash (big contracts of Marion, Haywood) or expiring. Nothing of any value to move, especially not for Dwight.

The Howard-Dirk-Deron combo has zero shot at happening, at least this summer.

4. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Don't think it would change a thing because we were 3rd in TX going into the off-season and we'll probably leave 3rd in TX coming out of it regardless of what moves we make. The Rockets don't need any band-aid solutions that will carry us through the next 1 or 2 seasons because in all honesty we won't be competing for a title for at least the next 3-5 years. The only way we are going to be able to "hit a homerun" for a superstar caliber player is through the draft...which were shot down this season when we decided we should compete for oh-so glamorous position of being the 'Best of the Worst'.

5. ThaShark316_28

Howard's going to end up on a team for 1 season that's not on a wish list.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Agreed.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

... or, more likely, do nothing and mope.

1 person likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How would I react???... How did other NBA teams react when Barkley and Pippen went out of their way to join Hakeem on his last leg in the NBA for a title run? Its about teaming up with Dirk to win a title. Thats the one and only reason.

If Dirk & the Mavs dont win the title last year there is no way in hell any of those two guys would be looking at Dallas just in the same way there is no way in hell Barkley or Pippen go out of their way to join Hakeem after 2 titles.

Im not the least bit offended. Who cares. The Rockets need to worry about building their own dynasty. Not recruiting so-called "elite" players who want to piggy back their way to a title.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Mavs have no shot at Dwight Howard this year because lack of assets. They also have no shot at Dwight Howard next year unless they trade Dirk due to lack of capspace(assuming they sign DWill). Overall, their team is a mess from all the overpaying of talent for their playoff runs. Now they just have an incredibly old team and no young rising star.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And they have a title. Were I a Mavs fan, and comparing their situation to ours, I'd feel pretty damned good right now.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

... and a recent championship. Suckers. :(

12. dobro1229

Its funny. These bonehead people up here in Dallas actually think that Roddy Beaubouis will be the major piece going to Orlando in a trade for Dwight. Its pretty comical when I hear it every time its brought up on the radio. And we think that Rockets fans over value their assets.

13. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

While I agree that they have no young rising star, their cap space gets MUCH better next year. JET (10.7M), Kidd (8.6M), Odom (8.2M), and Carter (3.1M) all are in their last year of contracts, and will likely be gone next year. Their only horrible contract is Haywood with 3 more years / $27M...a bit less than what we owe Scola. Aside from Haywood, they have 2 other commitments of any significance: Dirk has two years / $43M. Marion has two years / $17M.

That still leaves them no real assets to trade, but does clean up their cap problem a bit. They'll have Dirk, Marion & Haywood making $37M in 2012-13 and $40M in 2013-14, but little else. Dirk & Marion will both be 34 next year, and 35 in 2013-14. Haywood, who already stinks, will be 33 next year, and 34 in 2013-14, with a contract that runs thru 2014-15.

#13 PolarBear, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Players will go there because mark cuban is the best owner in sports or one of the best. He is willing to go over the salary cap and he treats his guys well.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Notice my use of present tense and future tense to denote my feelings on the team in the present and in the near future. My use of past tense is only denoting the results from past actions as it applies to the present. None of it actually says anything about whether the Mavs actions were right or wrong(I would say the price was worth it).

I don't particularly give a damn what Mavs fans think or what they have accomplished. I am a Rockets fan, and I mostly care about how the Rockets do, not others. I simply gave my opinion to the OP whether his hypothetical scenario is feasible. if you feel my opinion is wrong, then please tell me. Otherwise, why derail the thread? As veteran posters on this board, you two should know better than to derail threads with pointless posts that has no relevance to the topic.

16. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

17. dobro1229

Thats complete bs. You have no idea the backlash he has taken from the lockeroom side of things, the fans, and the local media. Just look up a few of the radio interviews Jason Terry has done a couple weeks before the playoffs.

You want to talk about an owner who hurts the feelings of his players for treating them like "assets" look no further than your beloved Mark Cuban. Yes, I think he is a very good owner by the way, but your completely out of the loop if you think he doesn't get the same criticisms here in Dallas.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

You are looking at it the wrong way. The reason why your method doesn't work is because the NBA salary cap is $58 mil, while the Mavs salary this year is $75 mil.

Here's the simple math.
    Dirk will make $21mil.
    DWill will make $18-20mil.
    Dwight Howard will want max money, which is about what DWill makes.
    Scrubs make some money.
    1st round picks make some money.
    Again, the salary cap is $58mil. Perhaps it will go up a little bit, but not much.

I

19. dobro1229

Again, not saying Mark Cuban is a bad owner, or worse than Les. However, just realize that he gets the same criticisms that Morey/Les get in Houston for their treatment of players as assets, etc.

20. dobro1229

Oh, and there is a reason why Chandlers, JJ, & Co. were not brought back this season.... THE F-ING SALARY CAP.

Even Cuban himself is being forced to play in the sandbox. That argument is no longer valid.