1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Luring Roy Hibbert Could Be Tough Task for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 2, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I just think its pretty funny that Roy is throwing jabs(albeit small ones) at the one team that is prepared to significantly jump up the price of his contract this summer.

His agent must be shaking his head right now.

Indiana would love for Houston to sour on Hibbert in free agency. They will be one of the major buyers in free agency and could majorly push the price up.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yeah, right. Morey is not going to overpay for a cable package, much less Roy Hibbert. Hibbert may get crazy money, but you can bet your A$$ it won't be here.

3. dobro1229

Im not so sure about that. Either way, the Rockets are a paying customer, and him and his agent need traction on the market to raise his price in free agency.

Just like with Marc Gasol and Memphis last year, Indiana is going to sit around and wait for an offer to go out to Roy that he likes enough to match. The Rockets offered the max to Gasol. Hibbert isnt exactly Gasol, but from everything we have heard from Feigan is that they have a high level of interest on Hibbert.

I dont know what they are going to offer Hibber, but it will have to be high enough to be at or above market value seeing as he will be a restricted free agent.

The point is, the more buyers there are on the market, the better it is for Roy and his agent to maximize their income. Eliminating Houston from that conversation does nothing but hurt Roy's chance at getting the most cash from the Pacers when they match an offer.

He knows the Pacers are going to match any offer anyways. He's an idiot for talking Houston out of the market.

4. Mariachi ROCKET

He doesnt want to be here, and we dont want him. plain and simple. ka-peechhhh!?!?!?!?!?

5. dobro1229

I dont think your understanding what Im getting at. Its a business and Im talking about his ability to maximize what he makes next year.

I do not want Hibbert, especially at the max, and its pretty obvious that Hibbert doesn't want to be in Houston.

However, for his sake (which I could care less about), he could be costing himself money in Restricted free agency. Im just commenting on how poorly these players play their cards in free agency. They need to take 6th grade level Business 101.

Just dumb to backhand a team that is potentially going to drive your price up. Thats all.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

True, but centers are in short supply, and he probably has more than enough suitors and the CBA does not allow a bidding war per se, so he is not doing all that much damage.

Neither was Morey when he told him about the Dleague, but from my viewpoint, that should be left unsaid.....

DD

7. Rivers

Rivers Member

Hibbert is 2,18 metres Motiejunas is 2,14 metres

8. Rivers

Rivers Member

Who is more versatile big men?

9. DaDakota

The one with the smallest Meter?

DD

10. dobro1229

Montiejunas' biggest knock going into the draft last summer was that he plays too much on the perimeter, and doesn't rebound enough. This year in Europe he really worked on his inside game and set the Euroleague record for rebounds in a game. His skill level on the perimeter didnt go anywhere.

He isnt going to set rebounding records in the NBA, but he should be able to hold his own eventually after a year or two. He is definitely a more skill/versatile big man then Hibbert. Actually hes a completely different mold of big man.

The Rockets had interest in Hibbert going into the summer because he's a proven commoditie(All-Star quality Center), and still young. Until Montiejunas gets in the NBA and his game translates, he wont be considered the long term solution for the franchise in the middle if he ever plays the Center position.

-Montiejunas is a natural offensive minded big in the mold of other Euro's like Bargiani, Toni Kukoc, or even Gasol. Its in the Rockets best interest that he gets matched up with a shot blocking Center to allow him to play away from the basket more, and utilize the matchup more effectively.

11. Pete the Cheat

the Pacers should send Hibbert down to the D-League so he can learn to rebound like a 2,18 metre centre

12. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Does anyone remember that the pick we got was turned into Shane Battier? Hibbert was not going to be an integral defensive stalwart like Yao/Deke, and I think that in hindsight (obviously) there is no way I try to get Hibbert if the trade for Shane is still on the table.

13. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Wasnt it our very own Kevin Mchale that signed autographs as "Houston sucks"? Money talks. I'm interested but it all comes down to price. Hes not worth overpaying for. Plenty of prospects in this draft. We should try to finally develop our own Hibbert. My 2 cents...

14. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Also in that draft was Pekovic/D. Jordan and Asik (HECK, even a rookie Goran Dragic). Would not we have done the same thing by shipping our rookies to the D-League? I don't think there is anything coming out of asking Hibbs about this other than some inside info. It's just insight into our management, and their honesty.

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

It turned into Ron Artest, actually, not Shane Battier.

I agree with your overall point though.

16. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

You say something like this and then get send the player to the D League he'll still go out to the media and call you a liar. When people are hurt they'll recall things differently and make them the victim. You're in a no win situation either way. I'm sure your video game people with large egos and $300k salaries still talk crap about their ego stroking employers.

17. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Thanks 4 correction, I didn't feel like researching that much :grin:

18. DaDakota

He won't go out to the media and call anyone a liar, because you didn't lie.

Look - it doesn't matter, it is a management style, some people are not bothered by it, but some are, the fact is that you account for both, and you should never say more than necessary, IMO.

DD

19. cod

cod Member

In the year he was drafted, his agent was trying to work one last deal for Deke. Deke was only signed later on in the season by the Rockets.

I'm thinking a team after Hibbert wouldn't be that honest. It's possibly another team telling him that or his agent who IIRC wasn't really happy the Rockets did not sign Deke at the beginning of the season.

20. dobro1229

Maybe your right about that and maybe every agent in the world hates the Rockets with all their heart. That doesn't mean that they do not want the Rockets driving the price up on their restricted free agents if they are potential buyers.

Agents are just glorified sales reps, the players are the product they sell, and NBA teams are customers they get a commission off of. Its your a sales rep, the more customers that are in the market= higher prices and greater commissions.