1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Rockets have given Derek Fisher a buyout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stevierebel, Mar 18, 2012.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Read carefully:

Jordan Hill was our backup Center and with Camby here we didn't need him here any longer.

We traded Hill who had an expiring contract and wasn't going to be here for a draft pick. Fisher was matching salary that the Lakers needed to shed and the Rockets accepted a Draft pick as compensation. Just like we accepted Thabeet, Carrol and a first round pick last season for Battier last season

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We could have bought a first round draft pick for $3 mill.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Just because one cheapskate owner gave away a low first rounder once in the past 3 years doesn't mean they're all for sale.

4. AFS

AFS Member

Isn't that essentially what we did? We just prematurely unloaded two players who weren't gonna be with us next year anyway in the process.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I bet he is already talking to the Miami Heat.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yes but the cost now is added to our 2012-13 cap money.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

If he opted that wouldn't be true. But after hearing his agent thanking the Rockets for "Their absolute professionalism" and the fact that it happened so quickly, maybe he didn't opt out.

In the past we have lowballed players wanting to opt out early (see Jared Jefferies) but I think Morey considered who he was dealing with (Prez of players union) and offered him a fair deal.

What's a fair offer? Usually that means you offer him everything minus the minimum he could get for signing elsewhere. Afterall if a player wants out to play for another team there's no reason he should be getting a raise in the process. So if they did pay along those lines what kind of number are we talking about.

Fisher is owed +/- 830,000 remainder of this year + 3.4 mil next year. If you take into acoount the vet minimum for a 10 year player is 1.34 mil and prorate it for the remainder of this year, Fisher can make another 330,000 signing with another team immediately. Subtracted from the 830,000 leaves the buyout number at .5 mil. If you subtract that 1.34 (New Cba freezes vet min 2 years) from his second year it comes out to 2 mil. Add the 2 years together and the buyout for both years is 2.5 mil. Not bad for a 1st round pick. (albeit who knows when we get it)

So the hit on the cap is only 2 mill. Not as bad as first thought. I suspect Morey can live with that. But i have a question for the experts out there. Yes Bima I am talking to you. Once you come to an agreed upon amount (in this case I am saying 2.5 mil) Do you have to prorate the first year based on the prorated figures above or can you simply say the buyout is 830, 000 for this year and the reamainder of the 2.5 mil next year. Because by doing that you even lower the hit on next years cap 1.67 mil. I know this seems trivial but as some of you have said Morey loves flexibility and this does add some flexibility.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My only comment to the discussion is you would have thought Hill could have netted you a SLIGHTLY better return - ie more guaranteed sooner late first and/or not taking on future contract. otherwise, value for an expiring, so not too bad, just not that great, either.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actually, no. 2nd rounders are sometimes sold for cash. 1st rounders rarely so in recent years.

10. jopatmc

Ok, let's say I give you that (even though I know better because teams at the bottom of the first round would gladly trade those picks to move to the top of the 2nd round). Now tell me why we want and end-of-the-first-round draft pick?????

11. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Good riddance. But can't believe he weaseled his way out of another team again. Wonder what his excuse was this time.

12. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

I know this one, the more assets the better! I'm pretty sure this pick will probably get packaged on draft with more players or picks to move up in the draft and or a straight up trade. I really hate that its top 20 protected though...

13. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

How about that kid Jeremy Lin? Oh wait ....

14. supa

supa Contributing Member

Maybe to package with our NY pick to move up in the draft? Also if you really think we can buy a first round pick for 3M then does this not give us the option to buy a 3rd first rounder if we want?

#74 supa, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  15. jopatmc

Let's say the Knicks miss the playoffs and wind up at #8 (probably worst case scenario).

So, you gonna package #23 (approximately) and #8 to move up to what?

Let's say the Knicks make the playoffs and the pick is #15 (once again worst case scenario).

So, you gonna package #23 and #15 to move up to what??

16. delta69er

delta69er Member

I still feel like us taking on Derek Fisher and his salary (including his player option for next season had he opted in) was a favor to the Lakers.

Maybe another trade with the Lakers coming in the offseason?

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed...now he's gone and can't go back to the lakers...still a serviceable PG but not for the Rockets...

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you could move up 2 spots and pick 6th. Worse case you move up a spot.

I think this will get you to #12

19. supa

supa Contributing Member

Even if it only moves us up a spot or two it gives us options to move up if we like a player. Not really sure what the downside is to having another first round pick is as it gives us more movability in the draft.

20. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

Anyone has the details for this buyout?