1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artists that make you RAGE!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Thefabman, Feb 14, 2012.

1. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

this.

2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Weird, I'm listening to Mingus right now - and it's not like that at all. Jazz music has intrinsic value, takes real creativity and talent to create, and doesn't belong solely to a particular era. It didn't exist as a movement because art critics thought they could make a name for themselves from it, or because highbrow cultural purchasers wanted to ramp up the value of the paintings they bought, or because art school graduates wanted to pretend like their education left them as the only people with eyeballs.

(Free jazz does mostly suck).

Also, the 'you just don't understand it' line is garbage. I understand it. I understand it better than the people who have been convinced of its value do. I understand that it's bull****.

AbEx was always (and, to the extent that it exists, still is) more about the ideas and the local critic-dealer-buyer culture than it was about the paintings. It was an interesting idea, and (some would say) a needed antidote to the overly-formulaic definition of art that existed in popular culture, but the time when that idea was necessary has passed.

Now it's just talentless people who want to be part of the 'art scene' in their area, and who want to tell people that they're 'artists'.

I understand that people have emotional reactions to it, but if you have any aesthetic sense at all, and you look at just about anything in the right way, you can get an emotional reaction to it.

I've seen rust-swirls on the sides of abandoned boxcars that I found beautiful - and no one was trying to take credit for it, or writing a long-winded dissertation about it, or trying to establish themselves as an art critic with it. It was just there, and no one cared if anyone saw it.

That's the point I'm making, I guess - I'm not mad at the actual artists. I'm irritated by everything surrounding them.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

if you think willem de kooning had no talent, to take one example, then i really don't know what to tell you.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Are you intentionally dumbing down my argument?

Like I said, my issue is not with the artists. I don't know if de Kooning was talented or not - I don't particularly enjoy looking at his paintings. Most AbEx guys (whether they intended to join the club or not) didn't have too much in common with one another - and some of the paintings I enjoy. I get emotional reactions from many of them (as I stated above) but that's all in the viewer and has little to do with the material.

But the spawn of the originals are talentless hacks who just want to be in the 'scene' and there are still enough critics and academics around to make sure that those talentless hacks have a scene to participate in - but the time when anything of any importance or real value came out of that school has passed.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

you dumbed it down yourself by casting too wide a net. if you wanna argue that clement greenberg was a hack and a windbag, i might agree with you. who cares what critics think? i won't sit here a argue it as the "triumph of american painting" but there were some damned fine paintings associated with ab-ex.

6. aghast

aghast Member

[​IMG]

7. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

[​IMG]

lol this thread turned into a coffee house slapfest.

[​IMG]

8. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Wiz Khalifa

DJ Khalid - not much of an artist anyway

9. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4m1EFMoRFvY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4m1EFMoRFvY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

this gets me raging

10. Kronos

Kronos Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wYXkS45PZPQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Sheryl Crow has some good stuff but this song should have never been redone.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZFU9qBEvEVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(if embed doesn't work.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFU9qBEvEVw
    sweet child o' mine

12. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Sometimes when my phone dies, I am forced to listen to the radio. And when sports talk radio sucks, I am forced to flip the "music" stations. And this **** always comes on and it pisses me off.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/djHm2ljLYbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I actually didn't even know who sang it until I searched for it now to post on here.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

If someone makes you rage with their "art," your reaction is giving them more credit as an artist than you would like, I suspect. Choosing not to expose yourself to said art needn't be such an emotionally taxing decision.

Ignore the stuff that you don't care for.

And there is a good part of Thadeus' point... sometimes it's those that support the art (and vice versa) that deserve your disdain. Sometimes it's the 'industry' itself.

But really they aren't worth the effort/emotion either. I find it somewhat amazing that there are grown semi-intelligent people who like "insert whatever intolerable tripe here". I refuse to let it make me "rage." Pity on those that would subject themselves to it, or worse yet... exist through it. It's easier on the mind and the body.

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Bah. I had to look it up after your post. It's not horrible but it's bad. And I love that song so it makes it doubly worse.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Overwrought sappy bands like The Fray just make me feel the urge to kill. Not going to post a sample because it pisses me off too much.

If I was still doing competitive martial arts I would listen to that before I went onto the mat.

Stuff like that, except in Mandarin or Cantonese, is wildly popular in China and when I was in Beijing last year at the HoHai bar district it was nothing but blocks and blocks of bars playing the same sappy stuff. I was so relieved to finally find a bar blasting Techno. And I don't like Techno.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm glad you made that distinction at the end, because I was going to say the EXACT same thing.

17. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

This ***** right here, i cant stand at all...the definition of unoriginal lol
    Even his damn name is a clone...
    he copies drake whole style in every damn song...i wish he would actually copy kurt cobain and...you know.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ucbG2yTAIMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Too many to list and I try to do what CrazyDave suggests and ignore them but like he said it is the industry and the media that makes it hard to do that. But starting at the top of my list...

Taylor Swift

19. Burko

Burko Member

I don't mind sampling, but hate blatant rip-offs of old songs just to make a quick buck.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Oh, it's on now!!!

[​IMG]