1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Tracy McGrady in Atlanta Hawks Uniform Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Dec 9, 2011.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

My action in this instance does not affect a single one of you. Yet you are all so deeply involved now. You're wasting your time, but it's your time, so please keep insulting me, maybe you'll break the skin eventually.

2. dookiester

dookiester Member

a. your actions in this thread are not an example of a prisoner's dilemma. this is just you making yourself look like a douchebag on an internet forum and no matter how much you say you don't care and it's just the internet, the fact remains you've somehow managed to get a lot of people who don't know you to have zero respect for you when it appears you had no intention of doing so, which means you either (i) are just being yourself, which means you probably get the same reaction from people in your non-internet life, or (ii) are trolling because you have nothing better to do in your non-internet life.

b. you should go read into the prisoner's dilemma and game theory. i assure you that the point of that illustration is not to show that people should "always defect, it always works out better for the individual no matter what the opponent does/thinks."

1 person likes this.
  3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Exactly. I have gotten into it with tinman before and understood his standpoint and how much he loves the Rockets. I understand all the points he makes about Mcgrady, however can you guys just create another thread about the guys bet and leave this one alone?

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

actually, what you said was that you were planning to pay and that you would pay and that it was about time you contributed a "lil something to the tipjar". you also boasted "i made a bet. i am a man of my word".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nvlTJrNJ5lA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

you are pissing all over the tipjar and your fellow clutchfans when you refuse to honor the bet we made.

dookiester speaking some truth to the TOF!

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#1245 tinman, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

a. there is no point in arguing with you anymore about me not caring.

b. the prisoner's dilemma reflects a one-time game. this is a one time-game. i have two options, i am doing the one that is best for me, regardless of what is best for you. it's a lose representation, but the point of the illustration was to show that because i don't care about the phantom reprecussions (the loss of my 'internet integrity') i will do what is best for me. and the prisoner's dilemma does show that you should always defect. how does it not? that's the optimal solution. it's been a few years since i studied game theory, but i think i remember that much correctly.

7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

you must just ignore everything i have said to you. i was going to honor the bet, but when i explained to you that i wouldnt have the money you kept being an ass about it. i told you to stop or i would just not pay. you kept at it. i therefore said F u and F the bet if you're gonna be that annoying about it i just don't give a f. even if this were real life i wouldnt be able to give you 50 dollars. i just dont have it. i boasted because i had every intention of paying it. **** happened. couldn't pay it at the time. you bailed me out by pissing me off, now i just don't give a sht what happens so i just won't pay.

who gives up 50 bucks to someone they dont give a crap about. not i. and that is the fact. i just don't give a enough crap about you or this site to cut 50 dollars out of my 400 dollar food and utilities budget. : ( you'll get over it.

8. dookiester

dookiester Member

brah, you remember incorrectly. the prisoner's dilemma only illustrates that when the individual payoff for defecting is greater than the individual payoff for cooperation, even though cooperation would result in the socially optimal result, the rational choice for a self-interested party is to defect. and because it is the rational choice, all parties involved will defect, resulting in a sub-optimal result for all parties. has absolutely nothing to do with what you 'should' or 'shouldn't' do, only what is likely to occur; it most certainly does not show that "you should always defect." a prisoner's dilemma is specifically configured so that the socially optimal result is achieved only through cooperation, so if anything, it would seem to demonstrate the importance of cooperation (with the obvious construct for a prisoner's dilemma being that the parties have no way of cooperating). defecting gives you as an individual the optimal result only if nobody else defects.

regardless, as i stated before, this is in no way, shape or form a prisoner's dilemma. the only person with any choices to be made here is you. i don't even care about the stupid bet you've made, only your blatant misuse and misunderstanding of game theory and the prisoner's dilemma.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

well, keeping with the theme of not giving a crap i can say that i've been wrong before and i am really not interested enough to look through old notes to refresh myself.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Everything you said was very reasonable, up to that one point.

Lets say that someone HAS pissed you off AWAY from granting them a favor -
    (that's happened to me MANY times in life, panhandling ungrateful sons of b**ches around me, but wont get into that here... )

Lets say you've been PROVOKED into arguing with people and you have to maintain your position -

The "you'll get over it" is STILL SELFISH and SELF SERVING. Just shrugging away obligations and just blowing off other people's sentiments. Maybe people are being asses. But a bet is a bet and always will be. And people don't "get over it" until its settled.

Again I KNOW how this is. I'm just 'willing to bet' that you did do something to provoke it even MORE. It doesnt matter that you don't give a crap AFTER the fact. At the time of the bet, you CARED AT THE TIME. So its about redeeming the PREVIOUSLY-CARED-ABOUT bet during the CARED-ABOUT period.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats not to say to go and try to bust your butt for "internet people" and come up with something quick.

Its the talking about there being "bet disqualifiers" AFTER the fact just wont have much validity. Even IF people are being asses, trying to adjust the terms on ARBITRARY factors is pure worminess. Even if you want to punch everyone, trying to "strike it from the record" wont do much to change the terms.

Basically, showing UNWILLINGNESS to COOPERATE in and of itself is what is bad.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

i see where you are coming from. but i still don't have the money and i'm not even going to promise to pay it when i keep getting annoyed and pressured to pay it from some scrubs i don't give a sh$t about.

13. jo mama

you are the one who volunteered to take me up on the bet and it was you who said it was about time you contributed a "lil something to the tipjar". nobody forced you to to do anything.

if you dont give a crap about this site then why did you say that it was about time you contributed a "lil something to the tipjar"? why would you donate a "lil" anything to something you dont give a crap about?

14. jo mama

maybe people are only being asses to those who deserve having people be asses towards them.

yup. especially when the person who lost the bet repeatedly stated that they would pay.

since you mentioned it, trueroxfan actually did provke it even more with a barrage of insults and namecalling. perhaps i am giving him such a hard time now b/c of statements like these...

now, generally when people make bets a little good natured ribbing is par for the course...right? and when someone wins a bet a little s***talking/gloating/boasting is one of the spoils...right? did i engage in these things? absolutely! it was my right as the victor! but i never went as far as trueroxfan did w/ his slanderous namecalling.

#1254 jo mama, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  15. putyouonthegame

i think this thread would be a better place if everyone just ignored tinmac and his nonsense rants.

just keep it moving, no reason to get into it.

16. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

What in the hell has this Tmac thread become?

17. jtagtp

jtagtp Member

not a single post about T-Mac on this entire page

18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Try the last 10 lol. trueroxfan you say you don't care yet "you like to argue". Nice excuse to shadow how much you care. Are you going to reply to every person who questions your bet?
    Your seriously annoying now, we understand you have circumstances but your not helping your cause one bit.

19. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

let me try to get this back on topic..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EcC3WgF_Avs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Tmac is washed up.