1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets: Where lotto picks go... TO DIE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets declining the options on all of the 2009 lotto picks make me think of how almost all of the regular rotations guys on this team are late 1st round and 2nd round picks. Patterson, the last pick in the 2010 lottery, is the only exception.

So, I calculated the weighted average draft position of the current roster so far (i.e. average draft position weighted by minutes played so far this season, undrafted player Jeff Adrien is assigned a draft position of 61):

*EDITED FOR BETTER IMAGE
    [​IMG]

It turns out that the average draft position of the Rocket players on the court, weighted by minutes played, is 30.58.

I have not done the same for the other teams, but suspect that no other team would have such a high number . This number was likely pretty high in the last couple years, too (with Shane Battier being the only lotto guy getting major minutes, with Chuck Hayes, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry and Trevor Ariza also logging time).

Just thought it's an interesting number.

#1 Carl Herrera, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Admittedly mathematics and I aren't the best of friends, with that said I don't see how you can weight their draft position with their minutes played. That seems a bit off. Additionally, our team wins games each year so we're always on the cusp of the lottery (if not completely outside of it), so naturally we don't have many high draft picks -- and the ones we do were traded for. If you go to other teams that aren't in the lottery often I think you'll see similar numbers. I just think that the whole thing is flawed.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Wow, I love your precision there. I would kill for that many sig figs on my calculations :grin:

I would be interested to see how that number has changed over the course of the passed 5-10 years...

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Small text is small, and blurry, and you've clicked on some of the players names :mad:

besides that, it really is amazing how low our players were picked. Moneyball in effect.

5. conquistador#11

the clippers discovered a while back that you can pile up top five picks and still suck.

6. Carl Herrera

Probably at its lowests point. Will calculate when I get a chance.

However, it would seem to be a reasonable guess since the team used to have Steve (2nd pick) and Yao (1st), and then Tracy (5th pick) and Yao logging heavy minutes, we also got Battier (6th) for a few years. And then there are also some of Juwan Howard (5th), Jimmy Jackson (4th) and Stromile Swift (2nd) sprinkled in.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That's really interesting. Could be better understood as, "The only lottery pick in the rotation is Patrick Patterson, a #14 pick who's 8th in minutes." But I like your way better.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

I think to add more of a weighting I think scoring/rebounding/or something else should be factored in. That way if you get a number one draft pick, with high minutes and high stats it's somewhat equivalent to a lower pick, with mediocre stats and mediocre minutes. It will also further emphasize the degree of death in players like Hasheem.

9. Carl Herrera

Hope this is better:

[​IMG]

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've used this a couple times:

http://tableizer.journalistopia.com/

It works nicely for posting tables on here from a spreadsheet.

11. Carl Herrera

Cool, thanks!

<style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;} .tableizer-table td {padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #ccc;}
    .tableizer-table th {background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;}
    </style>

<table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>Name</th><th>Draft Position*</th><th>Minutes</th><th>MinutesXDraft Position</th></tr> <tr><td>Kevin Martin</td><td>26</td><td>610</td><td>15860</td></tr> <tr><td>Luis Scola</td><td>55</td><td>537</td><td>29535</td></tr> <tr><td>Kyle Lowry</td><td>24</td><td>556</td><td>13344</td></tr> <tr><td>Samuel Dalembert</td><td>26</td><td>420</td><td>10920</td></tr> <tr><td>Goran Dragic</td><td>45</td><td>325</td><td>14625</td></tr> <tr><td>Chandler Parsons</td><td>38</td><td>368</td><td>13984</td></tr> <tr><td>Chase Budinger</td><td>44</td><td>311</td><td>13684</td></tr> <tr><td>Patrick Patterson</td><td>14</td><td>302</td><td>4228</td></tr> <tr><td>Courtney Lee</td><td>22</td><td>204</td><td>4488</td></tr> <tr><td>Jordan Hill</td><td>8</td><td>250</td><td>2000</td></tr> <tr><td>Terrence Williams</td><td>11</td><td>138</td><td>1518</td></tr> <tr><td>Jonny Flynn</td><td>6</td><td>70</td><td>420</td></tr> <tr><td>Jeff Adrien</td><td>61</td><td>36</td><td>2196</td></tr> <tr><td>Hasheem Thabeet</td><td>2</td><td>11</td><td>22</td></tr> <tr><td>Marcus Morris</td><td>14</td><td>17</td><td>238</td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>SUM</td><td>4155</td><td>127062</td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Weighted Averge Draft Positon</td><td>30.58050542</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>* Undrafted = 61</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td></td></tr></table>

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The higher draft pick players were drafted from other teams, not from the rockets. If Morey has a high pick, the result would be different.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

To be fair, the one guy we actually drafted has turned out well (Pat).

The other 4 were already dying when they got here, with the exception of maybe Hill (who was dubbed a reach by the Knicks anyway); Morey just tried to ressurect them and take some low risk gambles.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

Damn, nice work Carl.

I wonder, if you were to do something like this league wide, but factored in wins, if you could figure out which number pick in the draft, on average, earns team the most wins.

I'd venture to say it's not number 1 or 2.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

It's too early to make a judgment either way about it, but we drafted Marcus Morris, and he's second-to-last in minutes played.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Just a slight correction, McGrady was actually the 9th pick.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Make it wins over losses and you got yourself a deal. That way a player who rides the bench for 3 years will not have more of an effect than a player who plays substantive minutes over the course of half or a full season.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

Deal.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Carl, you heard the man. Get to makin' dem charts now! I needs my data fix!

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, to be fair, win a few lose a few.

Chandler was a heck of a steal.

Hill is serviceable.

Bud is good to bring off the bench, albeit, probably some other team's bench, the way McHale adopted Chandler.

Jury's still out on Morris.

Twill? Needs to grow up. Flynn? Might round into a good backup, wasn't worth his draft status.